Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Charger about a month ago (used). It had like 7500 miles on it... now I'm up to 8200 miles. About 2 weeks ago I noticed squeeling from my breaks at all speeds unless I start breaking from 10 car lengths away. Like an idiot, I declined the extended warranty from Carmax, so I guess I'm on my own. I recently had the rotors and pads replaced on my 1995 Dodge Intrepid and it cost me $220 bucks!!! I don't know if I was ripped off, but I really don't wanna have to spend that on a car I bought 25 days ago.

Now... on Sunday, I noticed my BREAK light is lit on the dash and it makes this annoying sound every so often. It drives me crazy and I don't know how to turn it off. Not sure if these two issues are related, but before I go to the mechanic, I wanted to make sure this isn't something I can fix on my own.

Please Help!!! :cry:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
well your in luck-the brakes are under warranty for 3 years or 16000 miles and if the brake light is on get it in to the dealer soon. did you just to see if the e brake is pushed down?? [it can be pushed down one click and not look like it is and that will make the brake lite come on-if thats not the problem than for sure get it in to be repaired. the brake light will come on if there is a problem in the brake sysytem-also have you checked the brake fuild level??? if that is low it will trigger the brake light as a warning that it's low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx a lot. I'll definately check for that as soon as I get home. Will the warranty be voided if I purchased the car used from a third party (Carmax)?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
no-the dealer has to do the warranty work for 3 years from the data the car was first sold or 36000 miles no matter how many people have owned it. but the brakes are a 3/16000 warranty.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
make sure you tell the service writer that YOU KNOW about the TSB on the brake problems so then they dont try and play you like a monkey- look at the sticky under the forums threads labeled as [DID YOU KNOW THAT] by hemichemi and the tsb number for the brake problems is listed in there

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Pretty sure pads and rotors are only covered for 12K miles....... squeaky pads are common, but you might get lucky on free replacements.

Now with the "Brake" light coming on, that tells you that you have a more serious issue going on. Get it checked out now.

Make sure your emergency brake pedal is fully up too. Give the release handle a few pulls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts