Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here the issue. My front right rotor (if not both) is slightly warped. It's driving me nuts. It's not warped to the point that it's a danger to me. It just shimmy's the steering wheel slightly at 60mph plus braking and I can feel the shimmy in the seat of my pants. My local Dodge Dealer wants to charge $195 for a rotor grind. They grind them fitted to the vehicle with a special piece of equipment and it they charge the allotted time allowed by Chrysler (something like 2.5 hours per axle or something like that. I'm sure someone will chime in here.)

Anyway… I thought about just replacing the front rotors with new OEMs and EBC Redstuff pads. I wasn't planning on changing the rears. I was planning on leaving them as is. They aren't warped and since only ~20% of the braking power comes from the rear… I didn't see this as being an issue.

Any thoughts on this brake configuration?

Oh… I almost forgot. I have over 40K on the vehicle, so getting the dealer to cover under warranty is not an option.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I changed all 4 out a few weeks ago with vented and slotted rotors w/redstuff, also painted the calipers while i was at it :)

Very easy job to do. They look great with stock rt wheels.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check Rotorpros or F1 on Ebay. I believe someone here got their rotors from rotorpros and said they were high quality. Also, if you're doing the work yourself, check out mmunes thread in the tire/suspension section. Excellent write up with pics!!

Ed

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Check Rotorpros or F1 on Ebay. I believe someone here got their rotors from rotorpros and said they were high quality. Also, if you're doing the work yourself, check out mmunes thread in the tire/suspension section. Excellent write up with pics!!

Ed

I got mine from rotorpros on ebay. As far as I know all his sets use Centric Parts. Very good quality pads and rotors if you ask me. I bought the higher end set that used the Centric Premium rotors which come with electrostatically attached black paint on the hub and edge of the rotor. So far the paint itself still looks as good as new too. That's after 4 months. I installed myself. It was a pretty painless install. I even painted my rotors at the same time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
OK - here's another solution for you...

I had the same problem. Front rotors warping. The rears were just find, so instead of diving off the deep end and getting high performance rotors and pads all around, I went to Belle Tire and had them machine the front rotors and put the most expensive set of ceramic pads they could offer on the fronts.

Haven't had a single issue and it's been about 15K miles since then...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

I had the same problem. Front rotors warping. The rears were just find, so instead of diving off the deep end and getting high performance rotors and pads all around, I went to Belle Tire and had them machine the front rotors and put the most expensive set of ceramic pads they could offer on the fronts.

I paid $370 shipped for my premium rotors and ceramic pads for my front and rears. I was considering your solution, but everytime you do turn a rotor you do have less metal there which means it's more susceptable to warping. But yes the problem is the factory pads not the rotors themselves.

·
Registered
829 Posts
After all the pages upon pages that I read, our problem is not the rotors, it's our piece o' crap stock pads. There's a TSB out there for the police chargers that specifies changing out the stock front rotors and replacing them w/ a high-performance pads and turning the rotors. Cops gotta REALLY push the brakes systems on these cars and I figure if that fix it good enough for the cops, it's good enough for me. I think my total bill including labor was on the order of $160 or so...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks RT. I like your solution.

However, I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and throw new OEMs on with some high quality ceramic aftermarket pads, instead of having them cut. The OEMs are $75 per rotor. Not too shabby. The OEMs are made by Bosch and are a good rotor despite all the problems people have been reporting. The warping in my case is caused by over tightened lug nuts. I had the tires replaced and the person who performed the job didn't torque them right. I had to use a 2.5ft breaker bar to loosen them and re-torque. I'd fight it with the shop, but it’s not worth my time. I'll just fight it with my wallet and they won't get my business again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds like a good fix for you. What pads are you thinking about?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts