Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 charger ex police with a 5.7 with 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Car works great under hard acceleration but stumbles a bit at first when I give it gas. I smoked the intake and there were no signs of leaks. I am wondering if our cars are known for brake boosters leaking vacuum? I do find the brakes a bit stiff at times so I am wondering if I am barking up the right tree. Maintenance items have been done such as plugs and air filter etc. Any input would be appreciated :).

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
The booster hasn't been a problem that I know of. If you had a leak. It would not be intermittent..Have you checked the throttle body. The blade and interior have a bad habit of getting gummed up very badly..I use a good throttle body cleaner, remove the TB and clean it good..Mine looked like a fuzzy plate at 10k, I cleaned it up, use QB oil and have a catchcan to catch the goo that gets sucked into the intake...Give it a try, about ten minutes to check the blade..wouldn't hurt..Keep us posted..

Ralph

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had cleaned the throttle body about 4k ago. It was dirty but it moved freely. I checked the fuel trim numbers and they go quite negative for a bit under light throttle so thats the reason i am looking for a vacuum leak. I was considering taking the brake booster line off and plugging the hole in the intake I just dont know if I have to take the wiper cowl off to do it. Just looking to rule it out for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I had cleaned the throttle body about 4k ago. It was dirty but it moved freely. I checked the fuel trim numbers and they go quite negative for a bit under light throttle so thats the reason i am looking for a vacuum leak. I was considering taking the brake booster line off and plugging the hole in the intake I just dont know if I have to take the wiper cowl off to do it. Just looking to rule it out for sure.
Good on the TB, its not the movement, its the crud that builds up on it, the intake also gets full of it...A Catchcan is a must...Keep me informed..I'm going to have to think on this!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have a 2010 charger ex police with a 5.7 with 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Car works great under hard acceleration but stumbles a bit at first when I give it gas. I smoked the intake and there were no signs of leaks. I am wondering if our cars are known for brake boosters leaking vacuum? I do find the brakes a bit stiff at times so I am wondering if I am barking up the right tree. Maintenance items have been done such as plugs and air filter etc. Any input would be appreciated :).
Have you checked the fuel system evap tubing and elbows for leaks or cracking? The rubber elbows are known to dry out and crack causing a vacuum leak. There are also a few places where it can get frictional wear on the plastic tubing resulting in cracks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldest an evap leak cause a code? Also, how would it cause a vacuum leak? I am not trying to doubt you just I don't know how it would cause a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i forgot to mention i have a diablo sport in tune and had the 91 octane tune loaded. I returned to stock and it seems to have helped with the symptoms but it certainly does not have the power it did with the other tune. I have been running without a catch can because I cannot seem to find an answer weather or not its of any benefit besides having an oily residue in the intake. Weather just got bad around here so not much time to tinker with the car. Whats everyones take on a catch can?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts