Charger Forums banner

721 - 740 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Those Chrome Clads make your car look like such a sleeper... unless I saw that red BR9 caliper I'd assume you were bone stock before you blew my doors off at a stoplight!

Your wheel has traditionally been my least favorite OEM wheel... I don't mind the forged/polished ones if you like bright or even the Daytona style chrome clads. I've got satin carbon wheel WPZ wheels that have grown on me, in 2020 they only come on GTs. Never thought I'd like a bright wheel as much as I do... of course it helps you have Granite which everyone knows is the best color...

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Thanks, I didn't like them a coworkers 2011 metallic orange Daytona until seeing them on a black R/T. I had to go from 18's to get over the calipers
I got a great deal, take offs in 2012 driven 20 miles to a wheel shop and stored until 2019.
With no spoiler its kinda trying to look like a pursuit but the chrome takes that out of the picture. However there is one in my city just like mine, wheels and all I see ticketing folks here.
I seen it parked at a BBQ they regularly frequent and gave it a walk around. BR9 brakes, console shifter (street appearance package) lots of electronics and switches.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Able to slow the car down with the BR9 with the Edelbrock???

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Yes, poor mans Brembos. Very fade resistant provided you have quality pads like any thing else.
It one of my favorite mods. Very much worth the effort.

Swept area compares.

SE/SXT BR3 package: Front 210 sq in / Rear 264 sq in (non-vented rear rotor)
R/T BR5 package: Front 249 sq in / Rear 264 sq in (vented rear rotor)
4 Piston Brembo: Front 351 sq in / Rear 316 sq in
Pursuit BR9: Front 388 sq in / Rear 300 sq in
6 Piston Brembo: Front 424 sq in / Rear 316 sq in

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yea that’s right. I forgot krautmaster had that info. That’s what pushed me to get the BR9

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Two weeks on the semi-metallic pads and smooth rotors seem to have them fully faced off to each other already.
I guess my muscle memory has not re-trained yet because they are quite a bit touchier now and I have not fully adapted. Love it.
The front pads were included in the MOPAR BB Kit so they could be Raybestos, or Performance friction, rears are Raybestos Police, same as MOPAR but $50.00+ less.
Dusting is less and lighter in color than anticipated and rinses off the calipers and inside rim surfaces easily.

May go with Performance Friction Pads and Rotors next replacement.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I went with the PF pads. I dig em.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Wanted to share a problem I ran into with my BR9 brakes. When I got home earlier I smelled brakes walking around my car and heat was rolling off the passenger's side front wheel. Here it was over 300 degrees (vs 108 on the other side). Turns out one of the slide pins was stuck, but not because it was dried out or rusted or anything like that.

One of the two slide pins has this rubber bushing on it, apparently for noise and vibration insulation.

Upon further inspection it turns out that rubber bushing has swelled some.

Without the bushing the pin slides freely and everything is happy again. Apparently that rubber bushing has reacted with the grease (CRC caliper grease). I asked my brother about this (he's a gm tech) and he said that it's not uncommon for the bushings to catch on rust (he's in PA), but either way they normally just remove the bushing and noone ever can tell a difference.

The only way to get the bushing seems to be to order the mopar pin kit. I went and bought a couple sets of the pins at autozone and you get one pin with the spot for the bushing, but no bushing. At some point I'll replace the pin with the bushing groove with the ones without.

Either way, I say remove those bushings.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if its an anti-noise attempt. I got my fronts in the MOPAR Big Brake Kit and broke'em down for painting and don't remember the bushing but have seen them on GM's.

It seems I would remember it due to the effort to keep track if it was in the top or bottom bore, age will make stuff like this harder eh? I use Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #730 (Edited)
The ones in mine have metal bushings (anti rattle device I believe)

Edit:

My bad, I went in the garage and looked at some of my spare parts, the ones I used are rubber but have six ridges (not smooth like yours). That pin goes in the top hole, the purported purpose is so you can remove the bottom pin, swing the caliper up, swap pads, swing it back down reinstall the bottom pin and be on your way.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mine have grooves, but due to the swelling they're damn near smooth. If they are there for changing pads I like them even less because it seems like they would just be hanging up the calipers.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Meanwhile Back On The Ranch............

Since swapping to Smooth rotors and Semi-Metallic pads I have been very happy and pleased about how the dust is stealthy on chrome, is not blackening my painted calipers, and of course the instant on cold braking and increased grab.

These pads came in the MOPAR Big Brake Kit and I assumed they were Raybestos or Performance Friction but I happened on an image I took of them. I have Zero complaints.
Maybe krautmaster can decode the numbers. Looks like Akebono?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That's the same number (not including the serial/manufacturing sequence) on the akebono pads that came with my cop car takeoff brakes.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
I really like them and went looking on the Akebono site finding they only list Ceramic now. I'll be going MOPAR or Performance Friction next time.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I ran them for a while but the dust annoyed me

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
I found their edge code list and its compliance ran out in 2016. I was trying to confirm the materials. I'll shoot them an email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Meanwhile Back On The Ranch............

Since swapping to Smooth rotors and Semi-Metallic pads I have been very happy and pleased about how the dust is stealthy on chrome, is not blackening my painted calipers, and of course the instant on cold braking and increased grab.

These pads came in the MOPAR Big Brake Kit and I assumed they were Raybestos or Performance Friction but I happened on an image I took of them. I have Zero complaints.
Maybe krautmaster can decode the numbers. Looks like Akebono?

have you installed these brakes? I need some help. I have the parts but not sure on orientation.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,777 Posts
Curious where you got the parts.
Orientation is bleeders on top, pointing upwards.

·
Registered
2015 SE
11 Posts
Hello all. New member, long time lurker. Thank you for the knowledgable post Krautmaster. I'm going to upgrade my br3 package on my '15 Charger SE. I'll be going up the the BR5 for now.
Would you get anything different for that package? Vented or smooth rotors, pad brand etc. I'll get as many parts as I can from local auto parts stores...nappa,auto zoneo reilly's etc. Rear hoses are good but I know I need fronts,from reading here. I'll order whatever is needed from the most pocket friendly site that stocks what is needed.

I'm at 1001,000 miles now and going to BND for all the fluids.
Doing plugs as well.
I'm diggin' what you've done with your V6's. Although I'm no where near as mechanically inclined as you,nor do I have the tools, I'm gonna try do as much to mine as you did. CAI,Brake Upgrade,rear valance swap and the solo cat back.

Thanks for any tips.
Mopar love.

721 - 740 of 807 Posts