Charger Forums banner

621 - 640 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Stoptech on tirerack is the best deal on them, they stay on backorder, or 3 weeks delay because of it. I keep a back up set.
There is a corvette front pad that cross references to the BR9, don't remember the year. I stumbled upon it hoping it came in the element 3.not.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Raybestos makes slotted "wiggle" rotors that the Police in ABQ use, but I didn't see them on Rock Auto this time... BTW, the PowerStop rotors are not over drilled (cheese grater style) like a lot of others are, there is plenty of metal left to absorb the heat, and I find they work better in the wet than plain rotors. I have never had a crack in one and I've had them on 5 different cars.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Found em on rock auto Just punch in the part number.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
I hope those prices on Amazon are for a PAIR (doesn't really say that I could find), if it is for a single rotor that price is nuts...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What’s the best pads? Z23, Z26 or the Z37s??

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #627
What’s the best pads? Z23, Z26 or the Z37s??
Z23 suck when cold..really bad (almost rear ended cars in city traffic with them on my 2013) The Z26 are supposed to take a bit more heat, but still not good cold. Raybestos EHTpads are way better, they grip like crazy cold or hot (G-G rated) but they only make them for the BR3 and BR5..nada for the BR9.

For the BR9 you only have the choice of Z37's or other companies dirty semi-metallic pads with poor heat ratings (usually F-E). The Z37 are G-G rated and while not as grippy when cold as I like, the massive size of the brakes makes up for that. When they are warmed up..WOW is the best way to put it !

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Cool. Thanks bro.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I concur on the Z37 pads. Once heated a little they stay warm enough until they cool totally.
Keep in mind as with any pad don't evaluate totally until a couple hundred miles of normal driving.
The pads need to mate to the rotor face and piston force & travel.
I was not as impressed as I had hoped at first with the BR9 but they just kept getting better the more mile I put on them.

After bedding in, don't torture test for a couple hundred miles unless you have to.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 6M STP
17 Posts
Raybestos makes slotted "wiggle" rotors that the Police in ABQ use, but I didn't see them on Rock Auto this time...
When I first started putting together carts and such, I found the Raybestos wiggle slot rotors on RockAuto. Problem was, when I put them in the cart, I would get a notice at the top that they were unavailable and were removed. Probably just going to run plain rotors in the end, but will decide when I get ready to actually order them.

Used calipers in hand. Might look at putting new dust seals in the rear ones, but other than cleaning them up and painting them should be good to go.

Waiting on hoses and dust shields from Steve White Motors. Then I think rotors and pads and I should be set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not be "Mixing and Matching" brake parts...use the rotors that are designed to work with the calipers..
On a side note, I recently found a thread on ChallengerTalk where someone was manufacturing a bracket that put the stock R/T caliper (BR5/6?) on the 14.2" Brembo rotor using a different caliper bracket and thinner Corvette pads. Sounds like it was a side business for the guy and he dropped it several years ago, but it appeared to work fine.

Talk about mixing and matching. Seemed to work well based on what the people said that bought them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Power stop has decent rotors for decent price on rockaouto. Centric plain are not bad either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If anyone cares, I think the Brembo rear rotor might actual work for this swap.

Now, the only reason I can see doing this is if the Brembo rotor is cheaper. The additional thickness would be helpful for thermal mass, but I suspect that the rear brakes aren't where the issue of fade will come from. And there certainly isn’t any additional brake torque since the rotors are the same diameter.

The first of the two issues I can see is will the caliper fit over the pads and rotor.

Based on a spec on RockAuto, the pad thickness for a Centric BR9 pad is 17.4mm (note that this is just for calculation purposes) and the Brembo rotor is 28mm thick, so pads plus rotor thickness is 62.8mm or 2.4724” thick. I measured my rear caliper yesterday and I get 2.5” between the piston and outer “fingers”. Pretty tight, but might work in a perfect world? And the Power Stop pads show a thickness of 16.7mm, even thinner, so they might actually work even better.

The other potential issue is the rotor offset from the mounting surface.

The height of the BR9 rotor is 67.01 per a Raybestos spec on RockAuto. In a perfect world, if the rotor thickness grew by 2mm, the height would grow by 1mm to maintain the same centerline of the rotor. So, the desired spec for the Brembo rotor height would be 68.01mm. Per a Centric spec on RockAuto, the actual height is 68.4mm. Not perfect but for a sliding caliper 0.39mm or .0154” is probably within it’s range of motion.

Unfortunately the front rotor offset difference doesn’t work out quite as well as the Brembo rotor is 1.54mm taller overall and the same thickness.

Now if someone would measure the front wear surface on a BR9 rotor and see if there is enough room to lose .3” of rotor diameter. :D

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
You would have to have the slot in the carriers widened with a mill to make them fit over the fatter rotor, they barely fit over the BR9 rotors. Brakes are no place to be fooling around with incompatible parts just to save a few bucks... (pic is of BR3 to BR5 differences but you get the idea)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
You would have to have the slot in the carriers widened with a mill to make them fit over the fatter rotor, they barely fit over the BR9 rotors.
Huh. The slot in the bracket I measured was 1.25". ;)

Granted the slider clips narrowed that down to about 1.1875", but still room for a 1.1" rotor. Wouldn't go any thicker though.

Also plenty of room for tolerances to build up and the slider clip to rub on the rotor making a horrible noise.

Brakes are no place to be fooling around with incompatible parts just to save a few bucks...
I'm sure the first guy that swapped a Chevy into a '32 Ford was told the same thing. :D

I bet I am just having rotor envy. Can't afford the full blown Brembo swap so I gotta try and find ways to at least get some of it.

No argument that brakes should be taken seriously though. You are completely right about that.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Here is some interesting data comparing brake pads on a Charger Pursuit BR9, testing performed by the Michigan State Police. I found this while searching for some info on the STOPTECH Tactical pads. Seems like it is a very good choice for this setup and I will be swapping out the terrible Powerstop Z16 ceramics that I cheaped out on for these.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was told by a stoptech engineer when buying pads for my 928 that the ratings can vary from year to year with no change to compound, just dependent to the DOT tests. For example, the stoptech pads I bought for it were rated FF last year, but FG this year.

I put a new set of powerstop z36 pads on my front brakes (didn't want the dust of the z37s). They came HG rated with a date code of 2018.

I put new 03 front brakes on my Durango recently, and those Z36 (granted the truck ones) are rated GG. They had 2017 date codes though. So kind of up in the air how old you get stuff, at least from rock auto. I bought a wix air filter for my Durango recently, and it came and was made 6 months before my Durango was built in 1998.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #639 (Edited)
As long as the pads are least F-F they would work fine..I had a set of F-E on my 2001 300M and they stunk ..literally smoked when they got hot and wouldn't stop at all. The G rated pads used to be very rare, but you see them a lot more often now. H is wild, those used to only be found on motorcycle brakes..how do they grab when cold with an H rating?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My Z37 pads don't dust. If they do its light in color and hard to see. Maybe on black wheels its seen more eh?

621 - 640 of 705 Posts