Charger Forums banner

601 - 620 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Me too, but I seen the price not the bleeder orientation.
I'm impressed with the service life I'm getting out of these Z37's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2019 Dodge Charger SXT plus AWD. I just spent the last few days on a wild goose chase trying to figure out if this upgrade will work on my car & gathering all of the parts. I just pulled the trigger & bought everything. Can you guys confirm that I bought the correct parts & let me know if there's anything I missed? I'm only doing the fronts for now. I bought Powerstop rotors & pads for the backs until I can upgrade them fully. Thank you in advance! posting pics with parts bought
Screenshot_20200430-155543_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-155612_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-165425_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-165437_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200430-165443_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
No the AWD stock lines will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, new here but have been following this thread as I build the kit of parts I need to do this swap in my 2019 Chrysler 300S V8. I have everything I need, but I am wondering if anyone is using speed bleeders in the front or rear calipers. Anyone using speed bleeders that can give me the part numbers needed?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone, been reading through this thread and it looks like the Pursuit brakes are no longer made. In the meantime, I have a 2016 Charger R/T and I am thinking about upgrading the brakes also.

Does anyone know if this kit will fit my car?

I am also looking at Wilwood and Baer. Still thinking about what direction to go in. This thread is great though!

For reference I do have the 20'' wheels on my car.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The hellcat conversion will not work unless you already have brembo brakes.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You’re welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to this thread I have completed the BR9 upgrade on my 2014 Charger R/T. The only question I have is about the contact area on the rotors. It looks like the pads are not contacting as much of the rotor as I would have thought. I went with the Power Stop AR83092XPR rotors with Z37-1767 pads for the front and Power Stop AR8371XPR rotors with Z37-1766 pads for the rear. Just wanted to know if I missed something or if the wear area is normal looking?... Especially the rear.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The rears will not cover all the way to the outside edge, there are a few posts here on this, you still get more swept area.
Just bed them in as instructed by PowerStop and drive normally not torture testing them for a few hundred miles and you will feel them come in getting better and better.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
Brake pad swept area looks fine ..if you noticed the pads they are cut straight across rather than following the curve of the backing plate, so it won't cover the entire rotor. No matter who makes them they are all cut that way (third pic shows the smaller BR5 pad next to the large BR9 pad).
l

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake pad swept area looks fine ..if you noticed the pads they are cut straight across rather than following the curve of the backing plate, so it won't cover the entire rotor. No matter who makes them they are all cut that way (third pic shows the smaller BR5 pad next to the large BR9 pad).
l
I agree that the pad, not being curved, will not cover the entire rotor where it sits but the pad could make the swept area increase towards the edges of the rotor if it was larger. The rear just didn't look like I was taking full advantage of the larger rotor. Still much improved over the original setup.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 6M STP
17 Posts
First a thanks to krautmaster for putting this together and supporting the thread for so many years.

Working on the upgrade (front and rear), gathering parts right now. Found calipers at stores and online but never tried ordering them and went used (fronts are here, rears tomorrow). Hoses/dust shields ordered but waiting to hear on shipping. Working on rotors right now.

Unfortunately, I am one that can't just buy the parts and go down the road. Always looking for "what-if's" and "can-I's". Makes my life difficult sometimes because I can't just do something, I have to spend way too much time looking at options and then end up buying the same parts in the end. An example is looking for other sources of calipers since they seem so hard to come buy. Found that a 2104 Acura MDX uses Akebono calipers, but with a 48mm piston instead of the BR9 45mm piston. No idea if they would bolt on , but spent way too much time looking instead of just buying some.

In a similar vein to the above rabbit trail on calipers, I am wondering about using rotors for the Brembo calipers with the BR9 calipers. In the rear, the diameter is the same, but the Brembo rotor is thicker, and a hair taller overall. Might be that the extra thickness is pretty well centered in the bracket, but no idea if the caliper would fit over the thicker rotor. In the front, the thickness is the same, and the height is within a 1/16", but the diameter is .3" smaller. Based on the above comments that the pads don't run on the other edge of the rotor, maybe they would fit?

Only reason to look at the Scat Pack rotors is because of cost. I don't want drilled rotors, but slots would be ok and the only option I find right now for the BR9 rotors is StopTech at $550 for the set. That ain't happening. But a set of Raybestos for a Scat Pack are only $160 for a set.

The non-wear area on the outer edge of the front rotor would have to be about .15" (less than 3/16") wide, and the extra clearance in the rear caliper with pads would have to be .08" (just over a 1/16"). I suspect that the front's might actually work, but kind of doubt the rear caliper would fit over thicker rear rotor.

In the end I am planning on running plain rotors, but thought I would toss this up just in case it sparked ideas for anyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put my summer wheels & tires back on today, but while they were all off, I cleaned up the brakes and noticed that the pads were being held 1/16" or more away from the rotor by the tab in the anti rattle clips... apparently they are there to either aid gas mileage (by .001 MPG) or to keep from "hot spotting" the rotor while the car is parked. Either way, all they really do is makes the brakes feel mushy... The 1st time you push the brake on any stop it seemed as 1/2 the pedal travel was used up just getting the pads to make contact, so I have been giving them a couple quick pumps on every stop..it became 2nd nature and I didn't notice myself doing it anymore. So, I pulled the pads out to clean them up and cut off the stupid little tabs that had been causing the issue. Now, I have positive grip on the 1st application, no more "pumping them up" .
So I just went and looked at the used front calipers and the anti-rattle clips don't have those tabs. Doesn't appear that they were cut off either. Maybe they are a later addition?

Something to look for when buying the clips, I guess.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
I would not be "Mixing and Matching" brake parts...use the rotors that are designed to work with the calipers..Try ROCK auto..a complet set of PowerStop rotors is $268 ($146 for a pair of fronts, $122 for a pair of rears)..look under 2016 Charger 3.6 v6, then police pursuit rotors

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not be "Mixing and Matching" brake parts...use the rotors that are designed to work with the calipers..
Agreed, for the most part. If I hadn't "mixed and matched",. I wouldn't have 13" Mustang rotors with Corvette PBR calipers on the front of my Duster for significantly less than what the aftermarket offered.

But I'm not looking for a science project on my Challenger like I was on my Duster. The BR9 setup offers all I need without having to shell out for different spindles/knuckles and a full OEM Brembo setup or go aftermarket.

It was just an idea.

Try ROCK auto..a complet set of PowerStop rotors is $268 ($146 for a pair of fronts, $122 for a pair of rears)..look under 2016 Charger 3.6 v6, then police pursuit rotors
Believe me, I know how to find the BR9 rotors. I didn't run the idea up the flag pole because I didn't see rotors, the idea came about because of what was offered.

Note that the rotors you pointed out are both slotted and drilled. I don't like drilled rotors and only wanted slotted. There are no options that I can find on RockAuto that are slotted only, so I expanded my search and found them at StopTech for way more than I want to spend. Admittedly, I am only going off the notes and pictures to determine if they have slots or are drilled.

In the end, I think I will just stick to smooth rotors anyway. Goes better with the stealth image I want. I even plan to paint the calipers and brackets to match the existing BR6 calipers so that at a quick glance it will appear that I am running the stock brakes.

Just wish I could find 9" wheels that match the stock ones so I could run 275 series tires. Oh well, probably a set of WRT's in my future.

601 - 620 of 705 Posts