Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get out og the warranty territory. I was wondering outside of what's in the service manual, anything else I should do so I can keep her running strong. My dealership has a 30,000 mile service kit which has the standard oil change with:

Air Filter Change (Won't Need with the CAI)
Engine Oil Flush
Power Steering Flush
BG Battery Service Kit
BG Menu Kit (Fuel Additive, Oil Additive, etc)
Tire Rotation

BTW: http://www.bgprod.com/products/products.html
All this for the great "low" price of 259.95 plus tax and disposal :smoke:

After getting into the nitty gritty of this listing, I can do this myself, and probably cost half as much. I'm pretty sure I can go to advance and get some of the products there.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
507 Posts
isnt there something that you can pay for to extend your warrenty if you want? i think its like 2 or 3 grand to upgrade to 7 yr 76,000 mile warenty. .

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
isnt there something that you can pay for to extend your warrenty if you want? i think its like 2 or 3 grand to upgrade to 7 yr 76,000 mile warenty. .

I already have the 5yr 100K and lifetime powertrain. I think that the powertrain is good enough.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Wow your dealer has all the unecessary stuff for their 30k service and not the one most important big thing. Spark plugs. In the R/T we have standard champion coppers and they need to be changed every 30k.

Actually most of that work sounds completely unecessary. I was pretty sure all Batteries are now maintanence free. An engine oil flush is really doing more than you need. If you're doing all your recommended oil changes you're definitely fine.

I'm pretty sure it's stated in a few places and here to stay away from Oil additives.

Some recommend a transmission fluid change but it is not required at 30k.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow your dealer has all the unecessary stuff for their 30k service and not the one most important big thing. Spark plugs. In the R/T we have standard champion coppers and they need to be changed every 30k.

Actually most of that work sounds completely unecessary. I was pretty sure all Batteries are now maintanence free. An engine oil flush is really doing more than you need. If you're doing all your recommended oil changes you're definitely fine.

I'm pretty sure it's stated in a few places and here to stay away from Oil additives.

Some recommend a transmission fluid change but it is not required at 30k.
Believe me I was shocked too. No mention of changing those things. I'm actually gonna do that this weekend, as I'm a little late. I'm waiting for the Fumoto valve to come in and do the oil change when I get it. I'm gonna wait a little while for the flush as it is about 160 and I do 90% Interstate travel, so it's not working that hard. What about cleaning the fuel system, when is that necessary. I never read anything about the oil additives. I need a lesson on this as I am going to start doing a lot of my own maintenence

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You can use a bottle of fuel treatment every 30k. As long as you're running a good quality gas they should already have detergents in them making this step more of a precaution than anything.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I already have the 5yr 100K and lifetime powertrain. I think that the powertrain is good enough.
DOH! i was hoping you werent renewing your warranty and i was gonna tell you heads and a cam is what you need to do :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
if u plan to add anything to ur engine that could possibly change the emission of the vehicle (supercharger, water methanol injection, and nitrous)...then I wouldn't try to extend the manufacturer's warranty since the mods mentioned above would void that warranty...now if the dealer offers a warranty that wouldn't be voided by these mods and u really don't feel like doing the maintainence urself, then go ahead and get that warranty

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm at 6k miles right now and to tell u the truth, when I'm finished with the basic 36k mi warranty, I'm gonna add a 6psi supercharger and a stage 2 water methanol injection kit, and I'll just do the maintenance myself

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
NEVER EVER do an engine oil flush! Oils have detergents in them designed to suspend particles so they are removed with an oil change. The idea that there is "sludge" in your engine is pure BS marketing hype.

Also, NEVER use oil additives quality motor oils already have an additive package. Adding anything to the oil will only screw with the viscosity.

I would Wait until you are due for the next oil change then do the following.

Oil change
Spark plugs (assuming they are standard copper plugs)
Tire Rotation (assusming you are due for one)
Fuel filter
Tranny fluid change (pan only not flush) with a new filter.
Chasis lube (not sure if there are zerks on the suspension)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NEVER EVER do an engine oil flush! Oils have detergents in them designed to suspend particles so they are removed with an oil change. The idea that there is "sludge" in your engine is pure BS marketing hype.

Also, NEVER use oil additives quality motor oils already have an additive package. Adding anything to the oil will only screw with the viscosity.

I would Wait until you are due for the next oil change then do the following.

Oil change
Spark plugs (assuming they are standard copper plugs)
Tire Rotation (assusming you are due for one)
Fuel filter
Tranny fluid change (pan only not flush) with a new filter.
Chasis lube (not sure if there are zerks on the suspension)
Yeah, I haven't done a tire rotation in about 9K. How hard is it to perform a tranny fluid change? Haven't done that before. I remember reading somewhere that these cars don't have a fuel filter. It was a post not too long ago in fact

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yeah these cars dont' have a fuel filter. That list Glock gave you is probably all you need to do, and all you should do. Stay away from the additives and just use good quality oils, and fluids for your engine and tranny.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah these cars dont' have a fuel filter. That list Glock gave you is probably all you need to do, and all you should do. Stay away from the additives and just use good quality oils, and fluids for your engine and tranny.

Who makes the best Transmission fluid?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Who makes the best Transmission fluid?
Well I'm not to sure which type is recommended for these cars. Someone else will probably have to chime in, or you can always find out from your service department which type is recommended and go with a major brand of that

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yeah, I haven't done a tire rotation in about 9K. How hard is it to perform a tranny fluid change? Haven't done that before. I remember reading somewhere that these cars don't have a fuel filter. It was a post not too long ago in fact
It isnt hard, you should just have to drop the pan and replace the filter. Measure how much fluid came out and replace the same.

Given that you cant check the level you may want to have the dealer do it, dont let them sell you a flush.

·
Registered
379 Posts
DOH! i was hoping you werent renewing your warranty and i was gonna tell you heads and a cam is what you need to do :p
:grin: I hear ya! That will be me, baby! :grin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
AS I understand it, the front suspension (like many modern cars today), don't have many grease zerks, if any. I think I recall looking at my manual and it stated it was maint-free.

As far as the tranny- don't just drop the pan & filter, and refill. Flush the transmission. You can either do it manually with a few 5-gal buckets and a few hoses rigged (which is a pain...) or do the right thing and find somebody with the machine. Both BG and Snap-On have great machines.

Anyway, if you just drop the pan, you will get about 4-5 qts out, but still have another 9 qts or so of dirty tranny fluid still in the torque convertor. SO the "drop the pan & filter & refill" schtick is like taking a shower and then putting back on your dirty clothes... it's not very effective. 4-5 fresh new quarts mixed in with 9 dirty ones. Not good.

Some torque convertors actually have a little pipe plug so you can drain them without using a flush machine, but I don't know if the "made for mercedes" charger transmission has one. It sure would make it easier.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Flushes are for fools who want to buy a new transmission. No real mechanic will recommend a flush.

I have to agree with Glock on this one. My good friend who is a BMW mechanic told me to never waste the money on a flush. I forgot all the reasons he gave, but I didn't doubt anything this guy had to say about cars. He was one of the mechanics where I could describe a problem over the phone and 9 out of 10 times he'd have know my problem and have the right part to fix it without seeing the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts