Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my first ticket in the Charger. Whoo! Glad that pressure is off. LOL. I got nabbed in GA doing 75 in a 55. I don't mind having to pay the ticket, hey I was speeding and got caught, oh well. What I want to know if there is anyway to keep the points off my license and keep my insurance from going up?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Finally got my first ticket in the Charger. Whoo! Glad that pressure is off. LOL. I got nabbed in GA doing 75 in a 55. I don't mind having to pay the ticket, hey I was speeding and got caught, oh well. What I want to know if there is anyway to keep the points off my license and keep my insurance from going up?

You don't need the standard lecture so, WHOA....."Congrats" on completing Operation Leadfoot. Anyway, I am not sure about FL, but in SC 20 mph over constitutes a 4pt violation and your insurance will increase. Was the speed that what was noted on the ticket what he clocked you at or what he reduced it too(any faster is a 6pt and called wreckless driving and can actually get time for)? It's kind of hard to argue against it in court if that is what is there. Hopefully you go to court, and if you got a clean record, you can try get it reduced in points, typically to two, if not all points and pay the fine. If it drops to 2 it will still be on your record, but not cause an increase. In SC all tickets stay on your record for 3 yrs. So, if you get any sort of moving violation (speeding, at fault accident, failure to stop at a stop sign, etc) your insurance will increase.

Good Luck

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
optimus124-
The ticket was for Georgia, but I have a South Carolina DL. The speed was what is written on the ticket. Whether or not that was the ACTUAL clocked speed, who knows. I was clocked by one officer and stopped by another a little further up the road. The one who wrote the ticket didn't clock me. So its their word against mine. So if I pay it am I going to still get the points and insurance increase? And going to court isn't an option. I can't drive 400 miles just to fight a ticket.

BTW, I'm going to be changing my license and registration back to FL because I live down here now. Will this crap transfer over?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Look to see if GA has an "ticket clinic" type service like we have here.....

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Do you have to go to court ?? If you do.
I say plead "No Contest" an they will look at your driving record an decide.
If your record is clean they might drop the charge.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You may have to take the hit

optimus124-
The ticket was for Georgia, but I have a South Carolina DL. The speed was what is written on the ticket. Whether or not that was the ACTUAL clocked speed, who knows. I was clocked by one officer and stopped by another a little further up the road. The one who wrote the ticket didn't clock me. So its their word against mine. So if I pay it am I going to still get the points and insurance increase? And going to court isn't an option. I can't drive 400 miles just to fight a ticket.

BTW, I'm going to be changing my license and registration back to FL because I live down here now. Will this crap transfer over?
Hey,

I spoke to my pops (retired LEO) and stated if not going to court, it's in your best interest to pay the ticket. Some states have a reciprocal agreement, meaning that if you don't pay it, they'll mail it back to your home states DMV. You'll have much bigger problems then. Depending on the charge, you could possibly have your license indefinitely suspended and will have to puchase SR-22 insurance and those premiums are astronomically expensive. I will not confirm this, but your points may not be reflected since it was in a different state from where your license is registered. This is mainly because traffic laws are handled differently from state to state. I'll ask someone in HP about this so I can confirm this for you on tommorow. So, if you are thinking about dodging the bullet, won't work. Besides if you try to register in FL, your SC license record will show this ticket, and if not paid, you may not be able to register. Since the court date is probably not for another 2 weeks and it hasn't been judicated, it will take a while to reflect it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow. Here in NC we have it easy. I have had many tickets for speeding. (57 in a 35, 68 in a 55, 50 in a 35, etc etc) You never pay the ticket, as this is the same as admitting guilt. here, I just hire a lawyer (about $300) and they get it dropped or thrown out of court every time. you just have to pay court costs (additional $180 here)
I think mostly lawyers claim "improper equipment". what ever that means.
You can also plead "Prayer for Judgment" once every 3 years. Thats Like a Freebie, but you better mind your p's and q's because if you get another ticket within 3 years of the prior offence, you get smacked with both charges and its harder to get out of it. I don't take my chances, I just hire a lawyer every time.

Don't know if any of this relates to GA, but you can ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.