Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've made a few threads on here about my ongoing fiasco with the purchase of a shady mustang. The dealership will refund my money tomorrow.

Anyways, there's nothing on the market here in Toronto that I like, and I realize the greatest virtue to getting a good deal on a car.....so i bought myself a beater winter car to drive around in while I look.

Here is the car

Here is the carfax

2013 Ford Taurus Police Intercepter with AWD......Negotiated and the final sale price is $3600. Has 208,000km (129K miles) and 3 minor accidents.

Drives good, and the seller will get it safetied by a mechanic for me.

But the only problem is that there are holes ALL THROUGHOUT THE BODY AND ROOF......just patched in with duct tape. (From old police lights, sirens etc).....They did a good job of concealing it in the website pictures, but they are such an eyesore. I cant imagine trying to get a girl into a car with duct tape and rust. Any tips?

But then again, its 305HP for $3600.

Any experiences with old cop cars?
What do you guys think?
In case I dont get a mustang, will this last me a few more years?
Should I get my own mechanical inspection?
Deal is not finalized just yet, should I reconsider? Thoughts?

Much appreciated folks

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
I went through the hole issue with my 2011 Crown Victoria.

For all the holes on mine, I made a few metal plates with holes drilled in the center with a metal wire in the center (to pull up on it). JB Weld (paired with extreme temperature industrial bonding glue) is on the top of the metal squares. I then "fished" it inside the hole, pulled up with the metal wire, and let it dry for a few minutes with pressure holding it up. I then cut the metal wire. After a day, I used bondo over those areas and smoothed out the body work. I then took it to a body shop and I let them paint the entire car. The rest is history.

With your car, I'm sure you could just blend those areas instead of painting entire body panels (if the rest of the paint is decent). That's the only viable permanent fix. If you want a temporary solution, rubber plugs will have to do.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Silent:
You should get the roof holes fixed, and then the roof painted. I think you did ok for what you paid. You will like the AWD system. We used to put winter tires on all 4 corners of the Crown Vics, but the AWD system on the Taurus allowed us to run the all season tires year round.

Not that it matters, but here in the states, when the Taurus police sedans debuted in '12 as a '13 model, the engine was the 3.5L @ 288 hp. Ford offered the 300 hp 3.7L as a no cost upgrade for '14, so I made sure we got them. The dealer wanted to charge us $125 per for the 3.7L, until I pointed out it was a freebie.

If you take good care of it, you can probably get 5 years out of it if needed. One heads up, is that the water pump is a PIA to do. The dealers here get ~$900 for one installed. From the service record, it looks like that one likes to eat wheel bearings.

Don

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Not bad for the price if it lasts 3 or 4 years.

However lets talk about this; " I cant imagine trying to get a girl into a car with duct tape and rust. Any tips?"

Just apply the duct tape tight so she doesn't wiggle free and you can get her in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good price. They can go for more then that at auction and you're buying as-is without being able to test drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys, I've made a few threads on here about my ongoing fiasco with the purchase of a shady mustang. The dealership will refund my money tomorrow.

Anyways, there's nothing on the market here in Toronto that I like, and I realize the greatest virtue to getting a good deal on a car.....so i bought myself a beater winter car to drive around in while I look.

Here is the car

Here is the carfax

2013 Ford Taurus Police Intercepter with AWD......Negotiated and the final sale price is $3600. Has 208,000km (129K miles) and 3 minor accidents.

Drives good, and the seller will get it safetied by a mechanic for me.

But the only problem is that there are holes ALL THROUGHOUT THE BODY AND ROOF......just patched in with duct tape. (From old police lights, sirens etc).....They did a good job of concealing it in the website pictures, but they are such an eyesore. I cant imagine trying to get a girl into a car with duct tape and rust. Any tips?

But then again, its 305HP for $3600.

Any experiences with old cop cars?
What do you guys think?
In case I dont get a mustang, will this last me a few more years?
Should I get my own mechanical inspection?
Deal is not finalized just yet, should I reconsider? Thoughts?

Much appreciated folks
When all else fails swap in a turbo'd ls3

·
Registered
557 Posts
Since you are calling it a beater, pull off the duct tape, clean the surface well, and put a patch of automotive grade black vinyl over the holes. Vinyl graphics hold up for years on cars so patches of the same material should work well

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Looks like you did fine for the money. Check the the crash bar that you can see behind the grille for rust. Everyone of ours rusted, and very early on! Many were replaced for integrity. Stop the rust and paint with POR15 if you have rust on yours. Maybe it was replaced. I'd just find appropriate sized black plugs, some black RTV, and seal the holes that way. You're going to spend way too much otherwise, and this way will do the job and hardly show.

·
Registered
141 Posts
see how much it would cost to get the holes fixed at a body shop. It might not be too expensive if they do a quick and dirty job on it.

Also, if you are the first person to get this car after the cops were done with it, have it professionally cleaned, especially the back seat.
My buddy it a cop in London and he said there are all sorts of bodily fluids that end up in the back of cop cars.

·
Registered
2019 Chrysler 300S
48 Posts
If you plan to keep it for awhile, I’d do the same as everyone suggests and take it to a body shop and they can Bondo the holes - it will be like they were never there. Had that done to my crown Vic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts