Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen:

I'm new to the Forum. I have a 2007 silver RT charger with a Volant intake and the 140125 Borla exhaust. The exhaust was just installed and it is a bit too loud for me. (the wife hates it!)

Has anyone had success with the venturies that Borla offers to send for free? I will need to pay my performance shop in install them at $80.00 per hour. They estimate four hours to install 4 of them?

I would hate to install them and find out they do not work!

Also, I am having rattling, clunking, and a drone...not good.

I did read on this forum that the rattling is caused by the exhaust sitting to close to the crossmember so I will have the shop adjust that..

Can anyone give me advice on the venturies? Another suggestion Borla gave was to cut the tips off the 140125 and replace them with ones similar to the 140112 kit. This would cost $350 for the parts and probably $160.00 in labor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same exhaust on my R/T but without the Volant which i really want to get. I don't feel like mine is loud at all. You might want to try to run with the CAI and see how you like that. I know that having CAI does give your exhaust a little more noise.

·
Registered
898 Posts
that sounds expensive (the install)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm glad someone started a thread on the 140125 Borla exhaust. I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift to myself, but I just want to know how good is it? I've heard it on you tube and it's by far one of the best looking exhaust system, especially with that 5" tip. But is it really one of the best Exhaust systems for the Charger R/T???

·
Registered
898 Posts
i have that exhaust and i love it is loud but there are others that are louder, i heard all those videos in youtube and then some others and i dont regret my choice, and everyone that sees my car likes it so far

btw give it time to break in

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the crossmember, what my shop did was install a nut onto the threaded shaft first, then the crossmember and nut. That lowered the crossmember enough to avoid hitting the exhaust.

Drone - very annoying especially when the mds kicks in. There is a device that can be inserted into the exhaust line to supposedly control this but buyer beware, it may be just another gimmick.

I went for the MBRP system as I found it was a lot quieter than the Borla. Has a nice rumble on startup, a meaty growl on acceleration and the sound at highway speed just disappears until the mds kicks in and then there is a noticeable constant deep sounding diesel truck like sound. Quite funny when you hear it but you can actually carry on conversations in the cabin and listen to your tunes.

I have Borla on my Durango and I am very happy with it but I would only put the Borla on the truck. Wouldn't put it on my car, simply because I found it resonates right up through the trunk and floor and the car is so much closer to the ground compared to the truck. Hope you get a fix for your setup.

By replacing my exhaust I removed at least 50to 70 lbs of weight over the new system. I have seen an improvement in acceleration, and slight improvement on the gas mileage.

h--p://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...oduct_list&c=3 site deals with inserts to eliminate noise.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
my advice to ReelCharger would be to wait a little while before you do anything. aftermarket exhaust are known to sound completely different after you break them in (get a little carbon built up on the inside walls of them)

i would also say that you should get the rattling fixed right away though.

i test drove a car w/ the borla 125 and a k&n CAI (at the time i was thinking about buying the borla, thats why i was test driving the car), and i didnt think the borla was loud at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still don't know if it's worth the money to install the Borla "venturies." Has anyone every ever heard of someone that runs them in their exhaust?

I wonder what they do to the sound of the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sorry man i've never heard anything about the venturis. my guess would be that they wont do very much.

the only way to quiet down the system you have would be to get some resonators for the rear (like the borla 112 system) or some fully resonated tips. you can try taking the cai out, but i doubt it'd do very much. any exhaust with big huge tips and no resonators is going to have drone.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow man, maybe you should just return them and go with the more subtle 112's then if they are too loud. I think they are far from overly loud -- they are perfect for my taste. I wanted something that sounded mean when I revved the car or accelerated hard and that was smooth on the highway on cruise control for any long trips or just cruise driving -- that is exactly what I got - on the highway or just cruising (even without resos) the exhaust noise is totally non-existant --- with one exception of a slight MDS flubber every now and then at around 1500 RPM's but as someone else here suggested that problem is totally eliminated 100% in auto-stick mode.

Good luck -- get the 112's your wife will love those.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wow man, maybe you should just return them and go with the more subtle 112's then if they are too loud. I think they are far from overly loud -- they are perfect for my taste. I wanted something that sounded mean when I revved the car or accelerated hard and that was smooth on the highway on cruise control for any long trips or just cruise driving -- that is exactly what I got - on the highway or just cruising (even without resos) the exhaust noise is totally non-existant --- with one exception of a slight MDS flubber every now and then at around 1500 RPM's but as someone else here suggested that problem is totally eliminated 100% in auto-stick mode.

Good luck -- get the 112's your wife will love those.
I also have the 112's. They sound good at wide open throttle, but are real quiet most everywhere else. Too quiet in fact. I currently have the resos on still, and put straight pipes where the mufflers where. Now it sounds fantastic, but the drone is killer at highway speeds when the mds kicks in. I am going to try some silencing materials in the trunk along with some rubberized undercoating in key spots under the car to try and eliminate the drone. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm glad someone started a thread on the 140125 Borla exhaust. I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift to myself, but I just want to know how good is it? I've heard it on you tube and it's by far one of the best looking exhaust system, especially with that 5" tip. But is it really one of the best Exhaust systems for the Charger R/T???
I just got complimented the other day by a guy from work, he said "that's one healthy exhaust you got there".

The 5" tips are just awesome looking. I think it fits the charger perfectly because the exhaust has part luxury car part muscle car sound....which is what the Charger is anyway.

·
Registered
555 Posts
that also sucks about the drone with the 112's -- my 125's cruising or on the hwy are dead silent -- that's just one of their many beauties. I agree with you CK -- 5'' pipes are just sick and your comment about half luxury half muscle is dead on too. That's why I don't want to change my actual shifter or other parts inside the car that would give it a more muscle look as I think the current shifter fits perfectly with the entire theme of muscle AND luxury.

Kinda hard to have leather and suade seats and a pure muscle shifter and other muscle gadgets -- going that route mine as well replace all the seats too -- anyway, my 125's seem to sound better every day.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
my exhaust has super bad drone but is loud as all hell wifey hears me aroung a 1 an 1/2 block's away. i put on magnaflow glasspacks drove aroung 4 about an hour then poured ice water down each tail pipe an shattered the fiberglass drove aroung an full throttle to kick all the chuncks out. now i got street legal(kinda) straights from cats back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts