Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a stupid question -- but i've read where some people actually keep their reso's ...maybe not with the Borla 125's -- but I have seen that.... I don't know how or why that would or wouldn't make sense as apparently without them you get that throatier, deeper sound.

My Borla's will be delivered today and I have a guy who is gonna install them for under $100 at his muffler shop -- my question is whether or not it would make sense to actually "keep" the resonators...or if that would be defeating the purpose of the 125's.

Anyone actually KEEP their resos and have the 125's?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I didnt and in order to "keep" them you would have to cut the Borla pipe and weld in the resos.... doesnt make much sense to me. I think what you might have heard was that the Borla 112 system still has the resos. Borla makes two different systems, the aggressive style with 5" tips and no resos, and the touring style with smaller tips and resos still in the back (but not your existing ones, Borla has their own resos welded on already). If people keep resos on the 125s it defeats the purpose of the system. And if the only reason those people bought the system was for the aggressive look out back, then you should have just ordered the 112 system and changed the tips. Just my two cents, hopefully that put things into perspective for ya.

-Pat

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey sublime, thanks.

No, I definitely don't "want" my resos...I just read on certain systems ppl seem to keep them. I guess with your response it would make no sense with the 125's. I did see the 112 setup but wanted the more "aggressive" 125's as well.....Maybe it was corsa or magnaflow but I remember reading where people did keep their resos......

I did a ton of reading on exhausts and although some claim Corsa's are great...I just couldn't see or hear the justification for the nearly 60% more in cost. I'm sure people that spend that $1400 or so on the Corsa system love it...i'd hope they do at that price..but I was able to actually get my 125's "shipped" for HALF THAT price (thanks to Siiscokid for the referral) -- LRBALLA gave some great info on the 125's as well...so it was a done deal. Can't wait until they come in...I assume you love yours like everyone else huh sublime? Can't wait to join the group. :grin:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just had them installed and didn't tell them to remove them. I was happy with what I had out of the box.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well, despite the fact that they took FOREVER to get to me, yes I love them. The look alone out back is worth the money all by itself! Such an aggressive look, the way it fills up the cutouts. But to be entirely honest with you, I was expecting something alot louder. When you see those tips at first you are just expecting a major boom to be coming out of those canons, and I dont think its that bad at all. People have complained all over this forum about how bad the drone is.... whatever! You know what you're getting into with 5" tips and no resos, and if this system is honestly too loud for you, then I dont know why you would bother changing from the stock exhaust in the first place because its really not bad at all (then again, I made the change from the performance exhaust that came from Dodge on the Daytona, so the change didn't seem all that significant to me at all).

FYI, I did the install myself. Alot of people, myself included, have had an issue on the install about the driver's side tip hanging alot lower than the passenger side, and it does not line up properly and may even rattle a little bit on the spair tire well..... I too had this problem and (at least for me) I found that the best remedy/adjustment for this situation is to move the whole system towards the front of the car. In other words, your tips are sticking out too far from the back end and when you go to twist the pipe to make it fit better in the cutout hole, the piping seems to knock off the spair tire well and it seems like you're in a jam. Just loosen everything up and make the tips tuck under the back end more. That way you should have more clearance from the spair tire well to twist the piping and make it all line up better. Best of luck to you on this exhaust, you won't regret it!

-Pat

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pat,

thanks for the informative post man. This issue with the driver's side lower end has me a little concerned. How exactly should I explain this issue to the guy doing the install prior to him doing it so I can get it right the first time.

Anything specific I should say to him so he can made the necessary adjustments?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Like I said, just tell him:

"If the dirver side tip appears to be hanging too low, I was told that that means the entire system is moved too far towards the back end. Try moving the piping towards the front of the car a bit more and things should fit correctly in that the tip will sit properly in the cutout and the piping near the spair tire well will clear enough not to bump at all."

Again, this is what seemed to work for me. Maybe he'll put it on right the first time around and you wont have a problem... Let me know how it turns out.

-Pat

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pat, thanks man, that is MAJOR info...especially if other people experienced the same problem. I'd hate to get the system installed and have to go back for something like this or even worse..get some damage. This is great info man and I really appreciate it. I'll report back after I get this installed over the weekend. I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Anytime, glad I could help. I never searched anywhere to see if this topic was resolved by anyone, I just remember reading that some people were having the problem, but not what they were doing to fix it. If you have the same luck in straightening yours out as well if you end up with that problem, then maybe I'll post up the advice under a new thread topic.

BTW, maybe you wont have to wait til over ther weekend if you just do it yourself! :lol: I was a little nervous about trying it myself too, but its really not that bad. All you need is a floor jack, some jack stands for added safety (and they help out in holding up parts of the stock exhaust when removing it), and like two or three different size sockets. Then its just loosening, removing, installing, adjusting, and tightening. The directions are pretty good and you know what needs to be done, just varies on difficulty from how long the stock stuff has been on ur car. Mine was brand new so it came off with "relative" ease. Only problem I had was trying to wiggle off the front-most pipes that are being replaced, took a while but I got it (my buddy was pulling from the tail pipe as I was wiggling the front part to get it lose from the stock piping and it took quite a few tries, but she will come with time and patience. once its out, that whole piece is probably about ten feet long, so dont plan on putting the stock exhaust back in your car to drive home with... its waaaaay too big!). Other than that, the only others thing that can take a while is getting the metal pins in and out of the rubber holders. I used lith-ease grease and a pair of channel-lock pliers to force the pin in or out of the hole. Overall, removal of old system and install of new took me about two hours. Ive heard it can be done in much less (like about an hour), but I was taking my time and had NEVER done exhaust work on my own before. Again, best of luck to you.

-Pat

P.S. If you decide to try it on your own and are a little nervous, feel free to PM and let me know you are going to attempt it. Ill give you my number in case you run into any problems while ur doing it and need some advice. You could save urself a hundred bucks.....:lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I don't think i'd mind attacking that job or at least trying, the problem is I am in an apt. complex and everything is crammed in there. If I knew a guy with a shop that can put the car on a lift...I think that would be really worth attacking.

That is nice you did that on your own man....makes you feel much better when you do things on your own..hell, even when I did the little blinker mod on my own I felt good..lol. So these systems don't use any welding at all...no welding whatsoever..just bolts and nuts? That's pretty damn sweet....i'm used to all kinds of welding and crap when dealing with mufflers/exhausts.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
No, no welding at all, thats the nice part about these cat back systems.... they are essentially just plug-and-play, all bolt-up and no need for welding. I understand what you're saying about where you live though, its definitely alot easier with a lift then a floor jack, but the result can be achieved nonetheless, let alone the use of at least a garage. I just thought Id throw the motivation out there for you. If you dont do it yourself, at least know you could have!

Trust me, when I ran into a few hiccups I started to second guess my decision to do it myself and had visions of me driving to the exhuast shop with no cat back system.... just straight headers baby! But I snapped outta that real quick and just kept on going. I know if other people could do it that I read about, so could I. And you are absolutely right in saying that nothing feels the same except for when you do it yourself...

-Pat

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
man, that definitely does motivate me. I like to try to tackle things myself. In Florida a buddy of mine has a foreign auto repair shop. Works on luxury porsches, benz, bmw, etc, and always had ease working on my Laredo. If I were back in Miami i'd take this baby to him and have him put it on the lift on one of his slow days and i'd try to tackle this myself. If I couldn't do it or had an issue he'd come out and wrap it up.

Dont' have that luxury right now and would rather try this on a lift...but the fact that you did this without a lift is incredible dude...you should feel good about it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I feel real good about it, and its really not as bad as you think working under a floor jack. Quarters are a little bit tighter and you have to work on your back as opposed to standing, but as long as you jack the car up high enough in the rear end, its really not bad at all. Im a relatively big guy myself and had no serious problems getting under there to do the work. But like I said, im not trying to make you feel bad by not doing it yourself.... if you cant, you cant. Im just saying its not that bad and could be done on your own, especially when you have someone for help. You should see if there are any forum memebers in your area at all that have done exhaust work, maybe they can help. But sooner or later, the time and money you spend driving out there may not be worth it when you could have just went right around the corner to your shop and paid the 100 bucks to have it put on.

-Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts