Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a ton on whether or not I should go with the borla or magnaflow catback system. From what i've read Borla uses a higher grade stainless steel and I'm leaning toward Borla. I've read great things about the 125's so i'm wondering if there's anyone that would reccomend magnaflow over Borla. I don't want that much noise but some for sure. :)

I also was searching the web and reading that the 5'' chrome tips that come with the 125 system are "WAY" too big for a Charger or most cars and they don't look right. If that's the case should I go with the 112 Borla system (assuming Magnaflow isn't my better option).

I should mention this is my first (ever) new car and I'm pumped. I love the way it rides. I bought the R/T with the Performance group and 20'' wheels in pearl black.

I'd really appreciate any input or suggestions on this exhaust system because I want to do it right. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
borla is gonna be louder than magnaflow.
magnaflow is probably one of the tamest systems on the market. but an amazing system no doubt.

the borla 112's are the quieted down version of the 125's. basically they put a resonator on before the tips, and they make the tips a lot smaller, becuase they know people who want the 112's dont want the aggressive sound... so t hey dont want the aggressive 5" tip.

my advice is the borla 125. ive been partial to that system since i heard it. sounds VERY tuned in just right. it will have some cabin drone to it at cruising speeds.

some people cant stand it, some can. it doesnt botherme in the least. people with kids/wives are the ones who avoid the agressive systems

check out:
www.lxsoundclips.com

my vote goes to the 125's, then magnaflows, then 112's last.
i think the 112's are still a bit louder than the magnaflows tho.
and you can always add a CAI to add a lil bit more growl to the car too:)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have the exact same car with the borla 125. Sounds great, tips are perfect. I love em. I dont have pics right now but there are tons out there. You cant go wrong with them

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have the magnaflow, and I really considered them both. They were my final 2 choices and I was thinking a lot like you are. I thought the 5 inch tips would be too big. I really like the sound of my magnaflow, it is extremely smooth and deep, but not overly loud. The 4 inch tips look awesome comin out the back. However with that said if you really like borla, go with them. I can honestly say that even though my tips are 4 inches, the chargers are such big wide cars that the tips dont actually look that big to me. I do not think the 5's would look bad at all, as a matter of fact I bet it would look and sound totally awesome!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love my Borla 125s. I turned so many heads and get lots of compliments on the sound.

edit: here's a pic, you can see one side (sort of)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first, thanks for the responses. I did not expect to get such quick responses so quickly...that was sweet! sinistersix having the same car and saying the 5'' tips don't look bad at all has me strongly leaning towards the Borla 125 now.

I was just reading something else on this forum for the same car and the 300 series where some were using the FLOWMASTER 40's. Is that worth considering or is the Borla and Magnaflow systems head and shoulders about the flowmaster (for this car at least?)

I guess if nobody else has any input and sinister has the same car, i'll wait to see if anyone can offer anything on the flowmaster 40's series. If that isn't in the same league then after reading everyone's responses I guess the 125 it is.

The last thing I should mention is a guy I've known who has done muffler work and has had a muffler shop for 15 years+ told me he would install 2 Borla Mufflers AND tips. The tips would not be Borla as he doesn't have them but he said he has "tons" to choose from and the total WITH installation and tips would be $400. That's obviously about 50% cheaper then the best price I found on the 125 kit so i'm curious as to why his price would be so much cheaper and if there's any parts he wouldn't be installing that come with the 125 kit?

I'll wait for any input/suggestions on this before I do anything....thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the way, I agree a CAI has gotta get done. I'm looking around for the best price on the MOPAR OEM CAI because I don't like how the K&N looks and would rather go with the MOPAR one anyway. : )

·
Registered
467 Posts
I found another pic.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

another view:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dude, that looks SICK! For some reason I never liked black rims, I'm more of a chrome guy but those black wheels on your car look SICK, especially with the dark tints. You're right man, that exhaust is bad ass. I think you just made the decision for me, lol...... scratch the magnaflow or flowmaster questions....the 125 it is.

I guess my only question now is if there's anywhere anyone on here knows to get the best price? I looked for about 40 mins. and most places want $900-$1100 shipped. I did find this place here:
http://allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=336811

$819 SHIPPED so about $200 better then most other places. If noone has a better price, is this place at least reputable?

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LRBALLA,

I have an ebay account with perfect feedback in about 200 transactions so I definitely respect someone that has 2k plus and is over 99%. Looks like you hooked me up with that too, thanks man! For an extra few dollars and paypal ability (plus super fast shipping as you said) that is a done deal too.

A few quick questions. How much did you pay to get the kit installed and about how long does it take to install the 125 setup? Also, would there be any demand for the OEM exhaust system and resonators that are coming off my car to "sell" on ebay or somewhere else, or does that just have to be trashed?

thanks again man, your help and everyone elses is really appreciated and i'll return the favor on here to some hopefully!

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's no problem at all, honestly, I'm glad to help. I paid $70 (I'm going to run out to the car and check the receipt) I think and it took less than 30 mins. There was a guy with a SXT that wanted my stock exhaust but I can't find him... So it's sitting in the attic until I do.

It was $65 plus tax but it came up to $70 :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$70 installed seems more then reasonable. Those muffler/exhaust shops are amazing, huh? 30 mins....that's crazy. My old car was a Laredo and my last muffler the guy took off and replaced with a new one in about 8 minutes including tip. At least I have an idea of what would be reasonable for the install itself. It looked like everyone was pretty much partial to the 125 anyway but your info definitely was the deciding factor.

I guess the only thing left to ask here would be what other performance parts would be reccomended. I already know about the CAI which I will get, but I was reading about the charger chip and wondering if that would be worthwhile or something that is more hype then anything? The only option I pretty much passed on was the Mopar Navi. 2 grand for that and it not even being touch screen seemed ridiculous to me so down the line I'll end up getting an aftermarket one, maybe kenwood or pioneer.

Any of those chip performance sets any good on our cars (Charger R/Ts)?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Loving the tips on this system. How is the drone, that's a MAJOR concern of mine. Thanks.
It's bearable to me, I don't mind it much. I'm on the freeway 6 hours roundtrip most weekends...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
yes, as I'm sure it would be for me as well. BUT, do you think it will be bearable to a 32 yr old wife and 4 yr old daughter? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
i looked at those two systems and decided to go with corsa instead. yeah, the 5 inch tips are over kill in my opinion :geek:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The last thing I should mention is a guy I've known who has done muffler work and has had a muffler shop for 15 years+ told me he would install 2 Borla Mufflers AND tips. The tips would not be Borla as he doesn't have them but he said he has "tons" to choose from and the total WITH installation and tips would be $400. That's obviously about 50% cheaper then the best price I found on the 125 kit so i'm curious as to why his price would be so much cheaper and if there's any parts he wouldn't be installing that come with the 125 kit? I'll wait for any input/suggestions on this before I do anything....thanks again in advance![/QUOTE said:
dont do that, get the kit. kits are all stainless steel and mandrel bent. I pieced together an exhaust for my truck with flowmaster stuff and it fell apart a couple years later at the welds due to rust and stuff like that. The kits have a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice ride LRBalla

1 - 20 of 35 Posts