Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Standard Edition Dodge Charger. I don't know much about cars but I learn as I work on it. I haven't started anything yet but once I get everything in it's place, it's going to happen. Other than speaking of boosting HP with air intakes since i know about it already, what else could I use/do to boost it's performance in HP, Torque, and Gas Mileage? I refuse to put a turbo in this car. I want to get the most out of my car cause 178 HP and the type of engine I have feels like a small penis. Other than just getting a Hemi or something big. I'd rather have a small penis that can do much more.

·
Registered
964 Posts
there is not much you can do besides add an intake and add exhaust.. maybe a ported throttle body but that might not be a big off hp gain..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured. I think more can be done. I've seen people buying at least $3k worth of stuff they put in/swap out of their cars to boost their racing performance. My car can't even do burn outs. That's just depressing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you think about that when you bought it? I'm not trying to be a **** just curious. I was going back and forth between the 3.5 and the 5.7 and I figured go with the 5.7 cause its not that much of a MPG loss and I won't have any thoughts of regret later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you think about that when you bought it? I'm not trying to be a **** just curious. I was going back and forth between the 3.5 and the 5.7 and I figured go with the 5.7 cause its not that much of a MPG loss and I won't have any thoughts of regret later.
Not really. This is my first car. I really appreciate this car because in all honesty, my mom got this for me. I just graduated high school last year [2009] and I'm only/just turned 20. Life is life, you get what you get. The most you can do is get the most out of it. That's my plan.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
No one really makes motor mods for the 2.7, maybe talk to Stu at Inertia Motorsports. He's one of the main motor work guys for the 3.5's (as well as the Hemi's). He might be able to build something for ya but you're not gonna get your money's worth in a money/HP gain ratio. The 2.7 just isn't a performance motor, your best bet is to do the intake, exhaust, maybe some custom oil/lubricants from BND automotive, then get it looking a sounding good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrats on the present. I'd take a Charger 2.7 as a grad present over a corolla any day.

I agree with the above poster. Get it sounding a little nicer and call it a day. You'd be wasting your money trying to add some pep to that car. Drive more conservatively also. If you don't drive it like its a race car people won't try to race ya in it (hopefully)

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
As stated, besides an air intake and exhaust, there isnt really much you can do to a 2.7, and those mods will mostly be for sound.....no one makes anything for it b/c there is no market for it.........id just focus on appearance mods

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Not really. This is my first car. I really appreciate this car because in all honesty, my mom got this for me. I just graduated high school last year [2009] and I'm only/just turned 20. Life is life, you get what you get. The most you can do is get the most out of it. That's my plan.
Stick to aesthetics, like the others said your performance choices are pretty slim, be sure to check out the Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread

That'll tell you everything you need to know performance wise for your 2.7L Good luck! :beerchug:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I refuse to put a turbo in this car.
Even with a Turbo you'd barely be putting 200 to the wheels (Stock 06-08 R/T puts about 270-280 to the wheels). Heres a 2.7 with 3.5lbs of boost. You might make 270-280 with about 10-12 lbs of boost, but I'd be afraid to throw more than 6lbs at a stock 2.7

Theres a guy who goes by BigEd on here who has a 2.7 that puts down180 HP...that's more than a 3.5 will put down if Im not mistaken.

Here's his mods: MagnaFlow Cat Back, Legmaker Made CarbonFiber Intake, 71mm ThrottleBody, custom B&G tuned PCM

Not sure how much the PCM will run you, but the other stuff shouldn't cost more than $1500.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Even with a Turbo you'd barely be putting 200 to the wheels (Stock 06-08 R/T puts about 270-280 to the wheels). Heres a 2.7 with 3.5lbs of boost. You might make 270-280 with about 10-12 lbs of boost, but I'd be afraid to throw more than 6lbs at a stock 2.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k6vPByQeI

Theres a guy who goes by BigEd on here who has a 2.7 that puts down180 HP...that's more than a 3.5 will put down if Im not mistaken.

Here's his mods: MagnaFlow Cat Back, Legmaker Made CarbonFiber Intake, 71mm ThrottleBody, custom B&G tuned PCM

Not sure how much the PCM will run you, but the other stuff shouldn't cost more than $1500.
BTW that's (from what I've been told) Shaq's charger in the vid... and the STS system (known to do nothing but blow motors up) blew it up lol.

Lord knows why shaq would buy a freggin 2.7, maybe a "oh i have that in cash right now, i'll take it!" moment

·
Registered
733 Posts
BTW that's (from what I've been told) Shaq's charger in the vid... and the STS system (known to do nothing but blow motors up) blew it up lol.

Lord knows why shaq would buy a freggin 2.7, maybe a "oh i have that in cash right now, i'll take it!" moment
Yeah, they swear it's Shaq's...guess the economy really is bad if its his. I doubt it though. I bet it's some guy nicknamed Shaq. I would NOT put more than 6 lbs at that car, its running 3.5lbs in that vid and Im surprised it took it.

·
Registered
951 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k6vPByQeI

You are mistaken lol the 3.5 SE puts out 250 Stock..

2006 Charger SE Performance

- 3,518 cc 3.5 liters V 6 front engine with 96 mm bore, 81 mm stroke, 10 compression ratio, overhead cam and four valves per cylinder EGG
- Unleaded fuel 89
- Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 27 and EPA city (mpg): 19
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- 18 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
- Power: 186 kW , 250 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 250 ft lb , 340 Nm @ 3,800 rpm

:)

My car has the catback exchaust the predator tune and the CAI i assume im pushing more then 250HP :)

Charger 3.5 Specs

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
You are mistaken lol the 3.5 SE puts out 250 Stock..

2006 Charger SE Performance

- 3,518 cc 3.5 liters V 6 front engine with 96 mm bore, 81 mm stroke, 10 compression ratio, overhead cam and four valves per cylinder EGG
- Unleaded fuel 89
- Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 27 and EPA city (mpg): 19
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- 18 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
- Power: 186 kW , 250 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 250 ft lb , 340 Nm @ 3,800 rpm

:)

My car has the catback exchaust the predator tune and the CAI i assume im pushing more then 250HP :)

Charger 3.5 Specs
Your actually mistaken.............the car is RATED at 250.......after drivetrain loss your putting out around 180 something HP to the wheels............my Daytona is rated at 350HP, but its actually getting 270-280 to the wheels as stated

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your actually mistaken.............the car is RATED at 250.......after drivetrain loss your putting out around 180 something HP to the wheels............my Daytona is rated at 350HP, but its actually getting 270-280 to the wheels as stated
^This

Hmm i wonder what i am putting out with the
Predator
Catback
CAI

i might need to take a trip
When I said "put down" I kinda assumed that it was universal for "wheel horsepower". Any Front Engine RWD car has drive train loss, Chargers seem to get a lot of loss.

Also, most people 3.5's are factory over rated. They really probably put out about 225HP stock. Because they only put down between 180-190 stock and about 190-200 or so slightly modded. If they were 250 HP and put down 180-190 RWHP that would be a 30% drive train loss, and that's WAY too high.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103831

You can read more about it there and see some dyno numbers. Sorry to disappoint. But even with an exhaust, predator and CAI you'll probably see between 180-200 RWHP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts