Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really wanting to get a spoiler, I think I can install it myself but I have a problem. Apparently, my trunk has had some body work and in that area on one side is body filler. This was not on the Carfax when I bought the car. Should have suspected something when the R/T badge was missing and no spoiler.

Will it crack if I drill through it? Should I take it to a body shop or forget about it completely?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You're supposed to be able to drill through body filler and it should hold up just fine, I say "supposed to" because eventually after enough years pass you could start to see cracks start to form but you could always have it resealed and repainted at that later time.
Also: You could always take the money and use it to try and get another trunk lid from a wrecked Charger before it goes to the crusher and you'd probably get a great deal on it. Most are in head on or front quarter collisions so the back would be just fine. A good body shop should have no problems blending it in to perfectly match the paint code for your Charger and shouldn't charge that much. Body filler sucks big time. Many have done body modifications or restorations with body filler only to have problems later on. Now these compounds that they use have come a long way since it's earlier days, but it is still no match for the solid steel of the original piece, and I seriously doubt it ever will be. You could always save up to get a spoiler later (unless you already have the spoiler, in which case I'd sell it for the $$$ to get the new trunk lid) and in the mean time you can be satisfied knowing when you do get you're spoiler that it will be anchored to a solid piece of steel and not a bondo'd up mess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts