Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so many of you have likely seen my thread regarding the hit & run on my car on Tuesday.

Thread is here: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=837354#post837354

Anyway, I just got back form the body shop, and they said they may try to repair the doors by banging out the dents and using a 'body repair composite'. I've always called it "bondo".

Is it even possible for the car to be normal again when repairing it this way???

Or will there be wavy lines and will it eventually look like a big mess?

I'm freaking out at even the thought of it...but am I over-reacting???

ACK!

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
or atleast a replacement door skin

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I just posted on the other thread, I don't know how it's done in Canada, but here You decide how and where it's fixed. and what parts to use, not the shop or ins. comp. Does your dealer have a coll. or body shop?? Maybe they can recommend someone that they use, with OEM parts. I'd at least check. It wouldn't hurt... Sorry about the Charger. It would've killed me!!!!!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
bondo is okay if you have a mullet. Otherwise the structual rigidity of the part has been comprimised. But hell who cares? I'm growing a mullet and replacing my motor mounts with zip ties.

Did i express my opinion?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bondo is completely legit for body repair. The panel should be straighten by hammering and picking first until it very closely resemble the original shape. Then a thin layer of body filler(bondo) is added and sanded smooth.
Many cars from the factory have filler where the roof meets the door pillars. Done properly, its OK, BUT many body guys use it too heavy to cover for a poor prep job. Or the do a poor job smoothing and sanding it so you see a wavy surface.
All that said, a new panel is preferred, but insurance will likely pay only the cheapest way. maybe if you are willing to pay the difference, the body shop should comply.

MIKE

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
New panels are always prefered... That said , have you watched "AMERICAN HOTROD" Boyd Coddington`s show ... They do every vehicle with a skim coat of filler to make all the panels straight... Filler is accepted if in very thin coats...If its coated on thick, then there is bad body work done...New panels prefered

Scott

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i agree with the other posts mostly.

i've done some work with bondo, and you really can sand it so smooth that you would never be able to see the difference between it and the metal. if insurance would cover it, then i'd say get a new door, but if ur payin for it i'd say try the bondo. it'll look new.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The use of body filler is not a problem at all. To tell you the truth, If I were you, I would be freaking out at the thought of getting a new door skin or any non bolt on body panel because the body shop cannot duplicate the factory seams or spot welds. If you know what to look for this is a dead give away of accident damage.

·
Super Moderator
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Door Skin :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. This whole thing has been killing me since Tuesday. For me (like most of you, I'm sure) this Charger is not simply a mode of transportation; it's a passion.

So anyway, the quote came back and they're going to put a new skin on the driver's door, which sustained 99% of the damage. So I am happy about that.

Also, one of my employees told me about a shop here in Brampton (where I work) that does excellent work, and they just happened to be on my insurer's list of preferred shops, so that is where I took it and I am reasonably happy about that too. :nervous s

I will post pics when the work is done. I can't wait until I don't have to look at that horrible dent every time I get in the car. But it may have to wait until I get back from vacation in 2 weeks. :(

-=FLEX=-

·
Super Moderator
11,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you know what to look for this is a dead give away of accident damage.

In Ontario any damage, accidents, etc. are registered with the Ministry of Transportation anyway, so it's not like I could hide the fact if I was ever to sell the car in the future. When selling a car, the owner is required to purchase what is called a "Used Vehicle Information Package" and deliver it to the purchaser. It includes the entire history of the vehicle: all owners, all accidents and repairs, mileage, any outstanding liens, etc. :knockout:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.