Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 Dodge Charger rt with 148k miles and I will admit the best car I’ve ever owned and ever fallen to love and not replace with another, but I am having a problem and don’t really have the money to send it to the shop for a 300$ inspection at this time as I had to help my mother pay her rent and bills. Last time I started it it was pouring out white smoke from the exhaust, it smells kind of sweet but then again stinky on the inside of it. It threw a cylinder 5 misfire code and a oil pressure sensor switch A code, and I will not lie I was doing donuts and going kind of hard on her, I have ADHD and once I get going I get that rush, but I need everyone’s input on what it could be.
list of symptoms
-low oil pressure at the start, but now it’s through the roof
-white exhaust smoke
-cylinder 5 misfire code
  • fouled out and flattened spark plugs on cylinder 5 they were drenched in oil
  • shakes while idling
-was running very rough when it happened after a donut or two, then i changed sparkys in cylinder 5 and cleared up on the rough running a little
-above about 40-50 it runs fine under that it’s real rough the lower the speed

if you guys have any ideas or suggestions let me know anything will help

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
P0520 is a code for the engine oil pressure sensor circuit. This code is set when the PCM senses the oil pressure is out of the calibrated range. Typically it's the oil pressure sensor and when the sensor goes bad it's not unusual for the oil pressure reading to be 99 psi.
The white smoke and sweet exhaust smell is typically coolant (anti-freeze) getting into the combustion chamber. This typically happens with a blown head gasket. The stinky part could be burnt oil mixed with the coolant. The cyl-5 misfire code makes sense since the spark plugs were oil soaked and the electrodes flattened. My guess is the piston in cyl-5 hit the spark plugs, which damaged the piston, and oil is getting past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
The only way to know for sure is to pull the head and examine cyl-5. You can do a cylinder pressure test on cyl-5 to confirm the compression is down but you will still need to remove the head to determine the extent of the damage.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
The big red flag here is that it's an '06. Prime candidate for dropping valve seats. If that oil sender is going bad, it can create all kinds of havoc. I would replace it just to rule it out. An oem sender is recommended.

Don

·
Registered
419 Posts
Engine is done man. It might not be worth it to fix it since the repair costs will exceed the value of the car unless you can score an engine for cheap and you do the install yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts