Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back last week from my little trip to cali, put 4000 miles on my girl in a little over a weeks time. I put the BB's 9db kit on right before I left, previously I had FM Super 44"s and straight pipe with 4inch tips. Which caused a drone that shot thru my wife giving her a headache the size of Cleveland. So I went with the BB's 9db kit in an effort to keep the loud aggressive sound but eliminate the drone. The day I got them installed the drone seemed to be gone for the most part and a much deeper tone. The day I left I cleaned my K&N and did the other normal prep for a long trip. That night when we took off the drone returned on the hwy! We had to pull over and go to a Wally world to get ear plugs for my wife. I dont know if it was because of more air, my filter hadnt been cleaned since I had installed it and it was pretty dirty (8 months).

The drone however didnt have the pitch or note that it used to have and thus didnt cut through you like a knife it was just very loud. It also seemed to have changed in that before the drone came between 1700 rpm's & 2100 rpm's. With the BB's the drone came in around 2100 rpm's to 2400 rpm's thus at around 73mph to 82mph I had drone. 70 and below no drone or at 83 and above no drone.

But after driving all night and thru the morning, putting on around 800 miles, the drone started subsiding and got quieter! The rest of the trip the drone was much more managable, quieter for the most part, though for some reason it occasionally got louder for a moment or two. The wife was able to take out her earplugs, except when sleeping and the stereo was too loud! Now that I'm back home the drone is def quieter, when there is drone it has a deeper pitch that removes the headache inducing tones. Also while slowly accelerating, the nerve racking drone that used to be is now gone, it is also much quieter and the pitch deeper.

If I want to get of the drone compeletly I would need to go with the 6db kit or lower, they have glasspacks included. The 9db kit is three inch pipe with 4 inch resonated tips. But I think Ive found the right combo or shall I say the right compromise. She's still loud, mean and aggressive sounding, but with a little drone that I can live with!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
dude. you should have picked up Bobs resonated kit. thers like the 6-12 db.. or whatever.. like 3 diff kits that are dB rated. then theres his resonated kit for the 5.7's that still gives that great blastin bob sound but is built to kill that MDS drone. you can spot em on his website... http://www.shop.alliedmuffler.com/category.sc?categoryId=5 for like 160 pesos

there is the 4db kits and the 6db kits. both resonated for our cars specifically. the magnaflows at the bottom are the quietest, but have a huge resonator which i dont like. the diff in the otehr 2 are the type of tips on em. good stuff i hear, check em out. theres sound clips too i think when you click on the pictures it brings up more info and the clip

another thing is, if you drive with your car in stick, and just leave it in 5th gear on the highway, your car wont go into MDS mode, which means NO DRONE. woulda saved the wife a lotta headache!

·
Registered
584 Posts
another thing is, if you drive with your car in stick, and just leave it in 5th gear on the highway, your car wont go into MDS mode, which means NO DRONE. woulda saved the wife a lotta headache!
You mean 4th gear? I've heard this before, but I can't imagine driving a long trip without being in overdrive. If you have to do this, you clearly made a bad choice in exhaust.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
You mean 4th gear? I've heard this before, but I can't imagine driving a long trip without being in overdrive. If you have to do this, you clearly made a bad choice in exhaust.
I think he means 5th gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts