Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well......... And for my 1st post since now that my short 2wk temp ban is up, i feel like i should share my newest mod with you fella's. I finally had enough time to do my tails and corners.

I didnt really want to do the light black outs the old fashioned rattle can method this time around like i have done so many numerous times in the past on all of my various blacked out platforms. reason being is i wanted to try the black and clear mixture method to see how much easier it is to do, and well....... its super easy as long as you have access to some professional auto body paint and sprayers.... no sanding is really needed either although i did end up sanding some off at the end due to not as much light as i wanted to pass through was passing through and also the passenger side was a tad bit darker when the lights were on. not much darker but noticeable none the less so i just wet sanded them down equally with some 1500grit to where i wanted them. i put them on teh car with lights turned on for that process so i could see exactly how much light was passing through and what areas needed more or less sanding... when all was well i polishes them up to eliminate the haze the sanding creates and then a coat of wax for added protection. end results = perfectly tinted tails with great reflections and glossiness.. they look like black glass to me and i love them.. thats really the only thing i didnt like about my azz end, them huge red squares stuck out like a sore thumb, but now they blend in and give the azz end a whole new look. so what do you think?

oh and i decided not to do the 3rd brake light as i ordered a vinyl cover up sticker instead with my nickname cutout in it. it should be here shortly.

Heres some pics. i will post better ones once i get the whip all detailed up. its been raining a lot here so i havent got around to it yet for it to end up all dirty again the very next day.

Let me know how you like them

Freshly painted and Drying

Finished Results

Can you still Notice the reflector? still very dark and shiny, yet still transparent---thumbs up!

Compared to my Spare Set---Much better black IMO

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Wow that's dark. Very nice look. I love my tinted tails but I'm thinking of getting a set tinted lighter because I'm afraid some moron will hit me. The blacked out look is awesome and the way to go.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow that's dark. Very nice look. I love my tinted tails but I'm thinking of getting a set tinted lighter because I'm afraid some moron will hit me. The blacked out look is awesome and the way to go.
yeah i feel ya, i remember us chatting about that a little bit in another thread a while back... when i explained how i thought i caused an accident with my blacked out stratus's tinted tails in the direct sunlight and me pulling into my shop off the 50mph road its located off of.... i was debating doing them or not, but then just said F it and did it... i am gonna add some flashtech halos back there also so its gonna be a wild look when they are finally done... im not sure how to open them up and was told its not the same process as the headlights so im just gonna send them out to steve and have him handle for me... he texted me saying it was all good now that he has a guy that can open them up perfectly and that he would also take care of me like always.. Flashtech for the win of course!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
They look good homie.....

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Looks excellent!!

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Really he can open them. I thought some heat was still necessary and would ruin the tint.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
damn bro what'd you get banned for? you can pm me if you. it's been a hot minute since I've seen you post. your ride is looking cleaner than ever!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I really like the corners Bro!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
Really he can open them. I thought some heat was still necessary and would ruin the tint.
I heard you had to cut them open with a dremmel, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the love guys...... and gals....

someone PM'd me on how exactly i did this to achieve the glossy dark look and have it still be transparent. so i will copy and paste my reply here also when i break it down for him step by step.. its very simple... im just very tired right now so i might just write it up either here in a minute or 2moro sometime. so if your interested in how to do the black/clear method, then recheck this thread for an exact how to.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Looks extra glossy, my rattle can tails/headlights came out pretty good. Cant compare to your work but came out better than some professionally tinted tailights ive seen.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
killerbee88 said:
Can you tell me how you tint tail lights? Like step by step?

No doubt! sure i can break it down for you, no problem bro! its very simple to do basically.... and if you dont mind im gonna copy and paste my reply to you in my thread also-----just in case other forum members would like 2know how to do this black/clear method.......

Step 1. Remove lights and set aside

2. Wipe them down with an alcohol based solution to get all the wax and grime and/or oily areas so the paint wont have any problem sticking to them.

3. Mask off the areas you dont want painted with just regular masking tape in various widths for certain areas for ease. such as the reverse strips and along the backside edges

4. Wipe them down once again to ensure the oils from your fingers arent on any parts of the surface.

5. Lightly spray some adhesion promoter over thee entire lens. paint sometimes doesnt like to stick to really smooth surfaces such as plastic so this is why you need to apply this step.

6. Get yourself some professional auto body paint in jet black, paint thinner, and of course some clear coat. Then also grab yourself a good paint sprayer in conjunction with a somewhat of a flat but also a wide angle tip so the paint sprays in a fan like pattern.

7. Grab some mixing cups and mix in s 1 to 1 ratio of the jet black and paint thinner... note that very little of both is needed. i just measured by eye really. afterall your only doing a few small areas.

8. Then grab your clear, and pour in a 1 to 3 ratio into the same mixing f. so 1 part jet black and 3 parts clear. note, that if your want them really dark like mines.. if you want them a little lighter then use 5parts clear and 1part black. you could also use a little more paint thinner in the black mixture

9. Now that you got all your prep done you can start spraying.

10. if you want the tops and sides much darker than the front like how i did mine, then spray along those areas first to prevent over spraying the miiddle. i did 3coats along the sides and 2 over the middle portion.

11. Now set them side to allow them to dry. give them atleast a few hours to allow them to harden and set up properly. i let mine site overnight.

12. The next day i went ahead and wet sanded them down very slightly to smooth out any imperfections such as dust particles and such. Also wet sand alittle more on the front of the lens if not enough light is passing through. you actually do this while the housings are the car, well only really on teh front parts so you dont risk accidentally sanding part of the fender when wetsanding the side portions. what i did was wetsand them entirely when off the car and then ran masking tape over the upper curvature lines and down the side curvatures and also right above teh reverse strips so i knew i was only removing paint little by little in that section only as i wanted to keep the outer sides and top portions darker of course. i even turned the lights on so i could see how much was actually coming through those areas.

13. Remove all masking tape, and if some paint happened to run through the tape along teh edges of the reverse strips then just get a q-tip and some paint thinner and carefully remove it so its straight and clean.

14. Now get some rubbing compound and work it into the lens and hand buff it out to remove the haze. plastic restorer will work to to get them perfectly clear again.

15. Slap on a coat of wax and buff them out with a high speed orbital buffer with like a 5" diameter pad.

16. And no, you dont need a final clear coat over everything because what you already applied is a clearcoat, just a tinted clearcoat... thats why it shines like a mirror... but i suppose if you really wanted to add another layer of clear then it wouldnt hurt anything.... however with any paint, if you spray to much to thick, you run the risk of it chipping off later on.

and there you have it folks, perfectly tinted tails using the black/cleat methos. its really simple to do... and please excuse me if i forgot to explain or missed a step, but like i said--its 230am and i am really tired from workin all week and i need some sleep which im about to log off and hit the bed ASAP... i will re-read this reply later to see if i missed something and edit it accordingly

so, who wants to try this method nextime?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks Great!
I got my tails done last month... Loooks very similar to yours.. Although I had someone do it for me.. I can assure u it was done in a very similar method.. I'll try n get some pics up of them..
Anyway.. It came out very nice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally I was worried about getting pulled over for these... so I wasnt going to ever bother getting it done.. then my bday rolled around this past June and my uncle suddenly asked me if I wanted them "smoked" as a gift... I was like okay what the hell.. NOW I LOVE EM!

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
any pics with taillights on?? during the day and at night? looking sweet!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks nice homie! Looks like Trans work. I was about to ship mine out to him to get all my lights blacked out but ran low on money :(. Well since you know how to do it and i need you to install my led halos how about a package deal price? haha! Once again looks sick :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts