Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been several threads on getting black exhaust tips, I just am not able to find them right now using search. My question is: are people just buying black tips from somewhere or are they getting their exhaust powdercoated? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I know there has been several threads on getting black exhaust tips, I just am not able to find them right now using search. My question is: are people just buying black tips from somewhere or are they getting their exhaust powdercoated? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I do believe they are powder coating and some are painting wit a high heat type paint.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
pretty sure chargertrev painted his. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I painted mine with high temp black paint. I took off the tips, scuffed them up really good and painted them. Haven't had any paint chip/flake off....but I have scraped some off on steep driveways. lol

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The maganflow tips I have on my car now are Powdercoated......but with the magnaflow catback im getting in a few days, im just going to paint the tips and resos since they are attached to eachother

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info people! I might price getting mine powdercoated. I love the look of that black SRT on stack performance with the CF rear diffuser and black tips

·
Registered
6,887 Posts

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I did mine with some 400 grit, and high gloss engine enamel like said above, for $12 I love it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I rattle canned mine also. Used the high temp primer and the high temp semi gloss black.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I had mine powder coated flat black. No issues. You can high heat rattle can them, should hold up fine.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Ok........So in a few days I will have a brand new stainless steel maganflow catback....I want to do the rear resos with attached tips all black.........what would be the process to do this correctly with paint? What should I clean the brand new stainless with first? What next? Sand / scuff? primer (what kind and where to get)? what paint?

I really want this to come out looking like it came that way

Thanks

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
i would sand, high heat primer, high heat paint.
Duplicolor has a high heat cermaic primer/paint

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Yall can laugh all you want but I will tell you how I did it. I didnt scuff I just cleaned with dishwashing detergent and rinsed and dried real well. I then sprayed it with the high temp primer. Next I put the tips in the over on 250 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool then I painted with the high temp primer. Baked at 250 again this time for 30 minutes. Let cool and installed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yall can laugh all you want but I will tell you how I did it. I didnt scuff I just cleaned with dishwashing detergent and rinsed and dried real well. I then sprayed it with the high temp primer. Next I put the tips in the over on 250 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool then I painted with the high temp primer. Baked at 250 again this time for 30 minutes. Let cool and installed.
You have the SLP exhaust dont you? Do the tips just come off or do you have to take off more piping? I would go check, but I am nowhere near my car right now.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Yup I have the SLP. I simply undid a clamp on each tip and they slid right off.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup I have the SLP. I simply undid a clamp on each tip and they slid right off.
Figured that out! They are primed right now and will be flat black tomorrow :rocker:

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I dont have patience to wait a day. Thats why I stuck mine in the oven. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts