Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Miss Foxxy's son Liam plays hockey, and they have early morning practices on Sundays. Miss Foxxxy takes a taxi there, so I can sleep in a little, then I pick them up.

I'm driving to the hockey rink to fetch them, and it's a 4-lane road (2 lanes in each direction) and there's a stupid giant seagull in the middle of my lane, eating something on the road. And I can't go around him, because there's a car driving right beside me (stupid 'speed matchers' I hate them). And get this; the bird doesn't even care that a 4,000 Charger is bearing down on it, and doesn't even fly away, so at the last second I have to swerve around the thing and slam on my brakes!

Then the thing takes off, a little too late, and bounces off the front of my car then flies away. Cue in stupid teenager behind me driving some non-descript sub-subcompact import (Toyota Echo or similar) and she almost rear-ends me. Then to make things worse, as I accerelrate and try to get back in my lane, she starts passing me on the right, but IN MY LANE, so she almost side-swipes me! Well I floor it get ahead of her and back in my lane, then at the next lights I rolled down my window and snapped a bolt on her.

What a way to start my Sunday!!! :knockout:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
"Snapped a bolt on her" LOL!!!!
Next time save the Charger and kill the bird!!

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Snapped a bolt on her" LOL!!!!
Next time save the Charger and kill the bird!!
It wasn't an itty bitty birdie. It was a giant seagull. It would've dented the car for sure.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
So much for a Sunday drive. didn't Castanza go into our "deal" with birds on an episode of Seinfeld, how when we come they should move, they aren't holding up their end, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So much for a Sunday drive. didn't Castanza go into our "deal" with birds on an episode of Seinfeld, how when we come they should move, they aren't holding up their end, lol.
LOL! Yeah! Brazen rule-breaking seagulls we got up here!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
LOL! Yeah! Brazen rule-breaking seagulls we got up here!
We only have a few seagulls, not much to worry about... the danged GEESE, on the other hand... makes me wanna mount shotguns up front somehow! :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds to me like you should buy Lottery tickets, becuse your lucky.

That would have been one dead bird if it was me, even if it were a turkey. You just walked away from "Almost" being rear ended, and side-swiped, all in order to save "maybe" a dent.

Next time kill the Bird .................

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds to me like you should buy Lottery tickets, becuse your lucky.

That would have been one dead bird if it was me, even if it were a turkey. You just walked away from "Almost" being rear ended, and side-swiped, all in order to save "maybe" a dent.

Next time kill the Bird .................
You got a point there...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Should of slowed before you got to the bird and got into the other lane. I wasnt there so i cant say. I dont think it was the girls fault for about running into you. When you are running 55 and someone slams the brakes on in front of you theres only so much you can do in that sudden instant. I am glad everything come out okay and you didnt get hurt. I was always taught if you maintain speed and you are coming up on a small animal in the road, you just go ahead and wipe the fury thing off the planet and deal with the damage later. Sorry for the crappy sunday morning.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Should of slowed before you got to the bird and got into the other lane. I wasnt there so i cant say. I dont think it was the girls fault for about running into you. When you are running 55 and someone slams the brakes on in front of you theres only so much you can do in that sudden instant. I am glad everything come out okay and you didnt get hurt. I was always taught if you maintain speed and you are coming up on a small animal in the road, you just go ahead and wipe the fury thing off the planet and deal with the damage later. Sorry for the crappy sunday morning.

Same here - infact, when I hit the raccoon that destroyed my stock front fascia, the first thing the insurance company asked was "did you swerve to avoid or run straight over it?" I told them I had hit the '**** straight on and they told me had I swerved, they would have filed it under a collision (because I left my lane) instead of just letting the comprehensive take care of it (meaning my rates would have gone up).

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
One thing I took away from a good course on "drive to survive" that the Navy put me through was risk classification, meaning that you gotta quickly see the whole picture, assess the most likely outcome of each, and the overall unhappiness result from that outcome, and decide which to course to take.

You get 50 milliseconds, GO!!!!!!! Okay, its over, howdya do?

Its not easy, nor is theres always a right choice, its triage on the fly, with lots of room for error and ignorance to make what looks like the right choice a killer.

FLex, dont be sure that it woulda broken your car, these suckers have a lot more give than youd think. A month or so ago, I hit an orange highway barrel going maybe 25-35. REsult is just some slight marking of the clearcoat that will buff right out.

Once, in the SRT-4, I hit an already dead deer at about 55-60mph, %80 of the deer, a full grown doe hit the passenger side fascia, and under both tires. I coulda sworn that section was toast, bat nothing but soem fur and bloodstains. Didnt even hose my alingment.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
One thing I took away from a good course on "drive to survive" that the Navy put me through was risk classification, meaning that you gotta quickly see the whole picture, assess the most likely outcome of each, and the overall unhappiness result from that outcome, and decide which to course to take.

You get 50 milliseconds, GO!!!!!!! Okay, its over, howdya do?

Its not easy, nor is theres always a right choice, its triage on the fly, with lots of room for error and ignorance to make what looks like the right choice a killer.

FLex, dont be sure that it woulda broken your car, these suckers have a lot more give than youd think. A month or so ago, I hit an orange highway barrel going maybe 25-35. REsult is just some slight marking of the clearcoat that will buff right out.

Once, in the SRT-4, I hit an already dead deer at about 55-60mph, %80 of the deer, a full grown doe hit the passenger side fascia, and under both tires. I coulda sworn that section was toast, bat nothing but soem fur and bloodstains. Didnt even hose my alingment.
Navy ORM operational risk management, weighs risk vs reward, and again do it in 50 milliseconds. Don't you love the Navy logic

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here - infact, when I hit the raccoon that destroyed my stock front fascia, the first thing the insurance company asked was "did you swerve to avoid or run straight over it?" I told them I had hit the '**** straight on and they told me had I swerved, they would have filed it under a collision (because I left my lane) instead of just letting the comprehensive take care of it (meaning my rates would have gone up).
You guys are both correct.

But...in my own defense...it was early Sunday morning, I was workin' off a hangover, with only ONE cup of coffee in me. :lol:

Next time, the animal is gonna get mowed down, for sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please bro, GOD will forgive you if you have to hurt the birdie!!!

What kind of gulls do you have out ther? Sounds like it was a f'n monster!

I remember askin the DMV representative what to do if an animal is in the road while you're driving. She said the safest thing to do is send the animal to heaven and then report the details to your insurance company.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You guys are both correct.

But...in my own defense...it was early Sunday morning, I was workin' off a hangover, with only ONE cup of coffee in me. :lol:

Next time, the animal is gonna get mowed down, for sure.
I was heading to work one morning and was on a two lane road, one land in each direction. The speed limit 55 and there was a truck in front of me going 40 and yeah im running late. So I pass the truck up, im driving my 3000gt, and acclerate on pass him. I sped up to about 70 when i passed him and as soon as i get back into my lane there is a nice pretty doe standing in the middle of the road. She runs to the left I go to the right, she stops and comes back to the right and I have no other option by this time except to hit her. The deer ends up going over the passenger headlight, which thank god was not flipped up, and over the passenger fender and grazing my rear view mirror. I almost sh*t my pants. I pulled over and to my amazement there was hardly any damage. Once i got to work though there was more sunlight and I could see where it shoved my headlight back a tad and she pooooped all over my car. I have also wiped out a cat which ripped the whole front spoiler off my conquest.....:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts