Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay for a few months now i have been researching tires the ins and outs of what makes a tire right for certain weather conditions as well as certain weighted vehicles how they are sized and fitted .. well as some of you know the biggest tire we can fit on our stock rims supposedly is a 255/55/18 and some of you might also know that when you go and look for these size tires you mostly come across suv tires most of which are xl load rated xl meaning they are ment to hold alot more weight then our chargers, im assuming this means that its got to be a much harder stiffer ride, where your going to feel every damn bit of that road as well as hear it.. another thing this might affect is our alignments seeing that the tires arent really going to be absorbing anything since the side walls are going to be like concrete... the tires im looking at are the fortera trippletred they are some sick ass tires they are rated number 1 among highway all season tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS the tred on these things are pretty sick as well!!! the question i have for you guys is do any of you have xl load rated tires ?? and if so whats it like .. i really want those shoes but im not going to shell out nearly 800 dollars if they are going to kill my ride... but i do need some good all seasons for the newengland weather.. most of us have rear wheel drive and im not trying to drive in circles all winter.. any insight would be great .. thanks guys

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i could always down grade to the assurance tripletred 235/60/18 it would save me some money and probably be a smother ride

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
For me, the crappy OEM Continentals will be the winter tire on the factory rims (at least for the first winter), and then by the spring I should have a summer set of 20's

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
People have had good reviews of thwe BF kw's or kw2's...(Something like that) in the 255/55/18.

Aw man, just searched lxforums, and I guess that BF discontinued that size in the KW2's

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just got off the phone with the guys at town fair tire and they cautioned me it would be best for me not to get the fortera tripletred BECAUSE THOSE SIDE WALLS WOULDN'T ABSORB ANY OF THE SHOCK FROM THE RoaD AND CAUSE A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE RIDE LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK GOING OVER MINI COOPERS..... what am i going to doooo

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Alright, how big can you go on a stock R/T rim and not screw up the speedo??

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
No problem, keep us posted on which ones you decide on.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
i just got off the phone with the guys at town fair tire and they cautioned me it would be best for me not to get the fortera tripletred BECAUSE THOSE SIDE WALLS WOULDN'T ABSORB ANY OF THE SHOCK FROM THE RoaD AND CAUSE A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE RIDE LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK GOING OVER MINI COOPERS..... what am i going to doooo
ROTFLMFAO!!!

...Like a Monster truck riding over Mini Coopers...now that shiite's funny :grin: My teeth haven't been jarred to the point of falling out...not even close. Yes, the ride is much firmer than the stockers, but that is only normal, and there is an added benefit (IMHO) of better cornering ability. Sheesh, how many times need I repeat myself?!? I give up... :silenced: :knockout:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
see the worst thing about Boston and anyone from the area will agree are the roads they are terrible, really really really terrible pot holes everywhere and i don't want to get brain damage from all the jarring. and cant that put alot of stress on the suspension?? i know that alot of charger owners have problems with the inner tie rods and i have a feeling having those tires might make the problem even worse.. i see myself getting those tires and just not enjoying the ride as much every bump will feel like im getting hit by ray lewis !! and i can just imagine the road noise

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
See now, the Charger is a pretty heavy car ... 4,000+ in most models ... the SUV-rated tires weren't necessarily designed for MUCH heavier vehicles, and from personal experience with the Proxes S/T, I have nothing but praise for them

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have the RICHARD SIMMONS 3.5 :( and you have the RONNIE COLEMAN 5.7 hemi A LITTLE BIT OF A WEIGHT DIFFERENCE.. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DONT KNOW

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Go to Discounttire.com and check out the Hankook Icebear W300.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts