Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, it's time for me to park my charger for the winter. i picked up a battery tender and was wondering if i can hook it up to the pos/neg posts in the engine bay, or should i hook it straight to the battery in the trunk? Thanks

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Six one half a dozen.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I drove mine all year, no problems with charging. ;)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I hooked my "Deltran Battery Tender Junior" tender up to the posts under the hood with the supplied quick disconnect wires, so plugging it in and removing it is super easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How many months will it be parked, maybe 3-4 mo...? I would think the average battery should survive fine..Maybe a start up , warm up, at midpoint..! Are you sure you need to keep it charging.?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to swear by those tenders for my bikes but it seems like they are only good for a season or 2 tops. Seems like after that they never works for me. I'd hook up straight to the battery in the trunk though to answer your question.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I've done it both ways with my CETEK MUS4.3 and either way is fine. I usually do under the hood now because it is easier.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, the engine bay is where mine is hooked up and so far it has kept the battery charged like it is supposed to. I already had two Battery Tender units for a couple motorcycles I had, but after I quit riding, sold them and bought the "motorcycle replacement", AKA the Miata, I used one of the tenders on it during the off season. That left me with an extra tender so I have been using it on the Charger. I'm retired, so I don't have to drive either one every day if I don't want to, and it can be weeks before I fire up and drive one or the other. The Miata used to be the "summer car", but ever since I traded the Ford Escape in on the Charger, it has been demoted to winter beater... at least until I can get a set of winter tires and rims for the Charger. (The Miata has a set of winter tires and rims already and as long as the snow isn't too deep, it does pretty well on slippery roads) There are times where I have to drive the Charger during the winter when I have to take my 91 year old mother in law somewhere. She has enough trouble getting in and out of the big car, but the little one is dang near impossible!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use a B&D battery maintainer with the option of a cigarette lighter plug. Don't even have to pop the hood (or trunk)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I also have a tender that gives the option of battery clips or cig lighter, I went cig lighter and plug it into the jack in the center console

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2006 SE in Oct 2005 and from day 1 I used solar charger to the cig recep. I never ran it when there was salt on the roads so it may go weeks before on the road. The original battery was changed in May of 2018.." I would plug the charger in when I shut down the engine and unplugged before starting, every day without fail. I still do it and will do it with all my vehicles forever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts