Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bottle of bug/tar/sap cleaner in my trunk so I could attack any spots promptly, but it backfired on me when I had a full trunk and my cargo crushed the bottle to bursting. It took me a couple of days of leaving the car in the hot sun before I figured out why the interior smelled strongly of cleaning supplies. Now I've cleaned up the puddle and scrubbed the spot with soapy water and a paper towel. The interior smells better but the trunk still stinks and the chemical smell is still detectable from inside the car. Any suggestions for getting that smell out of my trunk carpet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
My suggestion, rent an upholstery shampoo cleaner, hopefully between the soap and suction you'll be able to remove the residual spillage.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Remove all the damaged material and start fresh. There is a lesson to be learned here. Don't wait for a convenient day to take care of a screw up. Sometimes the best way to learn is to experience what you went through. I'm sure that won't happen again. as I always say A clean trunk is a happy trunk..

Big John

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Had frozen hot dog sausages in the trunk, that unfroze and i didnt see were cut open i guess from the boxxing at the store. Melted on the way home, and trunk smelled like winnies..
anyway used some lysol, a whole can, in the trunk, mainly on the spot, rubbed it out with some towels, then sprayed it some more, vaccuummed the car, that spot, then sprayed a light coat all over and shut it... done
but that was winnies... pinche winnies!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
What you smell is the solvents in the bug remover. It will eventually evaporate and dissipate. The fact that you smell it shows that it is evaporating into the air of the enclosed space of the car. You need to give it somewhere to go.

In order to speed the process, you can get some activated charcoal from an aquarium supply store (sold in small containers) or some BBQ charcoal (not the self-lighting kind) and place them in a mesh bag (old pair of pantyhose works well) and leave it in the trunk for a few days.

The charcoal will absorb the solvent vapor and trap it. Then you just throw the charcoal away.

The alternative is to place a fan in the open trunk blowing on the spill spot for a few hours to evaporate and blow off the remaining solvent into the open air. leave the car windows open on a nice day for a few hours and what remains in the interior will also disappear.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shop vac, carpet cleaner and a firm brush. Leave the trunk open to air out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts