Charger Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked up a 2019 Scat Pack so I am back to the RS-A2 until I wear them out. They are FAR better on wet roads than the F1 that came on my 2015. The F1s would hydroplane even at 50-55 MPH in the rain. I do find the RS-A2 to spin more easily on dry pavement than even the F1 tires. The HP/TQ are the same as my 2015, but maybe the 2019 is underrated.

It would be nice to get 27K from my RS-A2 tires like a previous poster but based on past tire history I am not expecting that! I never get more than 20K out of a set of tires, even when I had my G8GT. I was approaching that on my P4S when I traded my 2015.

GTO_04
GTO,
Somewhere around 20k miles I missed a rotation and just said fluck it and stopped rotating the RS-A2s.
I'm at 33k and the rears are at the wear bars. Up until about 30k I didn't abuse the tires with donuts or burnouts, etc so you should make it to 30k if you are reasonable and do the 5k rotations.
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but, I wore down all 4 tires in the original 245/45 RS-A2 set in about 14K miles even with religious 4K-mile rotation (original front brake pads were shot as well...).
Then, I went to Michelin PSS, killed these in about 12K (fun) miles or a little over a year; replaced them in June with a PS4 set (245 section) and I have 4K miles on those.
BTW, dry traction of the PS4 feels a step above the PSS; it hasn't really rained since June, so I can't comment on wet traction yet but I know it's going to be epic.
I'm going to need my third set of front pads pretty soon as well.
My car is 4 year old and I reached 30K miles on the ODO last week. So...yeah...I got one of those proverbial lead foot ... :oops:.
Me not having a 392 under the hood is probably for the best :p

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
2015 SP. Here. Rockin Firestone Firehawks 275 summers on all four corners. Switch to 235 Michelin Xice for the winter. Very happy with both.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
With the way the tires spin on my 2019 SP, I may need to upgrade to 275s when I wear out the RS-A2 tires. The P4S in the 275 size is very expensive though. I had the P4S 255s on my 2015 and they were very good! That is good to know about the Firestones Indy 500!

The Xice-Xi2 are known for great tread life and better performance on dry roads than other winter tires. I have about a year or two left on my DM-V2 winter tires (235).

Anyone experiencing low tread life on their tires should have their alignment checked. I had mine checked and it was WAY off. I didn't realize the difference until after I had it realigned.
Given the cost of tires it is worth checking.

GTO_04

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the way the tires spin on my 2019 SP, I may need to upgrade to 275s when I wear out the RS-A2 tires. The P4S in the 275 size is very expensive though. I had the P4S 255s on my 2015 and they were very good! That is good to know about the Firestones Indy 500!

The Xice-Xi2 are known for great tread life and better performance on dry roads than other winter tires. I have about a year or two left on my DM-V2 winter tires (235).

Anyone experiencing low tread life on their tires should have their alignment checked. I had mine checked and it was WAY off. I didn't realize the difference until after I had it realigned.
Given the cost of tires it is worth checking.

GTO_04
Yes, solid advice about getting an alignment. I got the car aligned when I got the PSS; the shop I went to has a very good tech and I trust he got the car aligned properly.
In my case, my driving habits and patterns are to blame for the relatively low tread life.
That being said, I now work further away from home and drive 55, all highway, miles every day; compared to 25 miles of mainly city / local roads.
So, I expect I'll get significantly more out of the PS4 than I got out of the PSS.
And, yeah, 245/45 PS4 are already expensive to begin with; 275/40 PS4 seems to run about $30 more per tire (per Tirerack).
I think that, if I were to upgrade to 275 tires, I'd either try the Indy 500s or go Conti ExtremeContact Sport.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm running 275s Indy 500s in summer and really like them a lot. Excellent grip with outstanding wet traction. 2nd summer on them and have a bit less then 8/32 left. Grant it I've probably only got 6k on them. So I'm expecting about about 20k.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm running 275s Indy 500s in summer and really like them a lot. Excellent grip with outstanding wet traction. 2nd summer on them and have a bit less then 8/32 left. Grant it I've probably only got 6k on them. So I'm expecting about about 20k.
That 20K is not bad for a summer tire, especially given the good price on the Indy 500. I am going to run these stock RS-A2s out before I get summer tires for my 2019. At least the RS-A2 is better in the rain than the F1 that came with my 2015. The RS-A2 is a little bit better than I expected on light snow and ice but I will stick with the Blizzaks for winter. I just put the Blizzaks on last week and they hook better on dry roads than the RS-A2!

GTO_04

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say that 275s all around is probably the best bang form your buck, but I went staggered. I went as wide as I could, and then some on the rear with the 295s. I'd prefer the 315s, but like the stock wheel. I have 295 out back and 275 up front and I like it. I had 275s in the back and 245s up front only because the 245s I didn't want to waste. If I'd be even all around I'd go 275, but I like the wider look of the 295, it's a tiny amount wider in terms of contact, and I didn't break the bank, either.
Did your 275s rub up front at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say that 275s all around is probably the best bang form your buck, but I went staggered. I went as wide as I could, and then some on the rear with the 295s. I'd prefer the 315s, but like the stock wheel. I have 295 out back and 275 up front and I like it. I had 275s in the back and 245s up front only because the 245s I didn't want to waste. If I'd be even all around I'd go 275, but I like the wider look of the 295, it's a tiny amount wider in terms of contact, and I didn't break the bank, either.
Not if you keep the stock wheels on

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Is that with 20x9?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is that with 20x9?
275's yes.

I would not put 295's on a 9" wheel and most shops won't even install them.

For one, it's a waste of money. The 9" wheel "pinches" the beads closer together causing the tire to round off at the contact patch especially at speed. This causes even more tire wear and you won't have any more contact patch than you would with a 275.

The other reason is tire flex, especially at 295/45. That completely changes the handling characteristics and makes it unpredictable, at best, in the corners.

·
Registered
996 Posts
To me the best setup is a premium tire in a stock size. If you don't drag or road race your just adding weight, harder to balance, easier to hydroplane, and adding weight, MO Money, just for cosmetics.
Are people still using photo-bucket?

·
Registered
5 Posts
275's yes.

I would not put 295's on a 9" wheel and most shops won't even install them.

For one, it's a waste of money. The 9" wheel "pinches" the beads closer together causing the tire to round off at the contact patch especially at speed. This causes even more tire wear and you won't have any more contact patch than you would with a 275.

The other reason is tire flex, especially at 295/45. That completely changes the handling characteristics and makes it unpredictable, at best, in the corners.

Now how do you feel about 275s up front? I was told by a guy at Mr.Tire that 275s would fit up front because they would rub.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Now how do you feel about 275s up front? I was told by a guy at Mr.Tire that 275s would fit up front because they would rub.
I've had 4 different 275/40's up front on this car and the only rubbing I had was due to wheel set #2. (I had to run a spacer up front to clear the Brembos and it made the tire stick out 1/4" too far.)

I'm currently running 275/40 up front on wheel set #3 and no issues at all.

With the stock wheels, there is no issue at all with them. There are a LOT of people running 275's up front. Find a new tire guy lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had 4 different 275/40's up front on this car and the only rubbing I had was due to wheel set #2. (I had to run a spacer up front to clear the Brembos and it made the tire stick out 1/4" too far.)

I'm currently running 275/40 up front on wheel set #3 and no issues at all.

With the stock wheels, there is no issue at all with them. There are a LOT of people running 275's up front. Find a new tire guy lol

You think even running 275/45/20 up front would be okay?

·
Registered
380 Posts
You think even running 275/45/20 up front would be okay?
No, a 45 will not work. The bolt on the upper ball joint will not let you mount one that tall. It's close to the tire even with the stock 245/45 and that's over an inch shorter than a 275/45.

Why do you want such a tall sidewall? Even if it DID fit, the change in "ride comfort" (and you won't be able to tell ANY difference at all), the change in the handling properties wouldn't be worth it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts