Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys!! Hey looking to possibly add bigger, meatier tires to my rear end. I have a 2016 Charger RT, I believe has 8.5 -9" stock rim and has 245's all around. I've heard I should go no larger than 275's but I've also seen a few with 295's on the rear and 245's on the front. I'd like a wider rear tire without too much bulging. What are thoughts on a tire setup for more aggressive and handling stance. Anything helps!!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went back and forth on a staggered setup for my scat pack. I settled on 275s all around and I'm glad I did.
245 to 275 Firehawks made a world of difference in looks and traction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's the wheels that dictate the tire size. With 20 inch wheels and about 29 inch overall diameter you don't have much stretch for width. Most R/T factory 20 inch are 20x8. Which really tops out at 245/45/20 You can get 255/45/20 on 20x8 but they're taller and not much wider Scat pack wheels 20x9 which you can get 275/40/20 on. Those have the exact diameter and revolution per mile as the 245/45/20. Dynamics package and Hellcat got 20x9.5 and factory 275/40/20. Those wheels can take 295/35/20. Hellcat owners often get 20x 10.5 wheels and 305/30/20 which is about the limit

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I upgraded wheels too. I went to Hellcat reps that are 20x9.5 with my 275 tires.

I was considering 20x11 with 305/35R20 tires in my staggered setup but decided square was best.
It's my daily driver and I do lots of highway travel, so tire wear and rotation was a big factor.

Like I said above, I'm happy with square setup and there is a significant increase in traction from stock.
Looks great too.

I'm satisfied I made the right decision.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would say that 275s all around is probably the best bang form your buck, but I went staggered. I went as wide as I could, and then some on the rear with the 295s. I'd prefer the 315s, but like the stock wheel. I have 295 out back and 275 up front and I like it. I had 275s in the back and 245s up front only because the 245s I didn't want to waste. If I'd be even all around I'd go 275, but I like the wider look of the 295, it's a tiny amount wider in terms of contact, and I didn't break the bank, either.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a SP with the 9" factory rims. Went from 245 to 275s Firehawk Indy 500s all the way around. So far so good. Much better grip and quieter ride.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I wanna do 275 all the way around but mixed reviews of they’ll rub or not on the front of a 5.7

·
Registered
227 Posts
I upgraded wheels too. I went to Hellcat reps that are 20x9.5 with my 275 tires.

I was considering 20x11 with 305/35R20 tires in my staggered setup but decided square was best.
It's my daily driver and I do lots of highway travel, so tire wear and rotation was a big factor.

Like I said above, I'm happy with square setup and there is a significant increase in traction from stock.
Looks great too.

I'm satisfied I made the right decision.

Been leaning more and more towards the Indy 500's. How are they at highway speed in the rain? Since there aren't any sipes that actually channel water away out to the edges that's my biggest worry is the hydroplaning. My work commute is 47 miles each way highway and my RT is my daily driver

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,503 Posts
It's the wheels that dictate the tire size. With 20 inch wheels and about 29 inch overall diameter you don't have much stretch for width. Most R/T factory 20 inch are 20x8. Which really tops out at 245/45/20 You can get 255/45/20 on 20x8 but they're taller and not much wider Scat pack wheels 20x9 which you can get 275/40/20 on. Those have the exact diameter and revolution per mile as the 245/45/20. Dynamics package and Hellcat got 20x9.5 and factory 275/40/20. Those wheels can take 295/35/20. Hellcat owners often get 20x 10.5 wheels and 305/30/20 which is about the limit
^^^ Best advice in this thread.

If you want a wider tire you're gonna need a wider wheel.

I have 315s on the back but I bought 11" wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 17 Daytona 5.7. The stock tires got me to 27K. Stuck with Goodyear but went to 275/35/20 all around. I noticed an improvement in stopping power and better digs in dry conditions. I don't really notice a difference in appearance however. I would prefer a larger option.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
No rubbing w the 275s on the 5.7? You could have gone 275/40/20 same height and circumference as the 245/45 obviously 275 is wider lol

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Instead of immediately jumping to a wider wheel in order to get a wider tire; I purchased the stickiest 3-season tire I could afford on the stock 8"-wide wheel.
I went with the outgoing Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 245/45 since it's currently significantly cheaper than the new Michelin Pilot 4S.
It's very good in the dry but it's just down right impressive in the wet; REALLY eye opening traction in the rain.
It's almost like riding in a new car.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Instead of immediately jumping to a wider wheel in order to get a wider tire; I purchased the stickiest 3-season tire I could afford on the stock 8"-wide wheel.
I went with the outgoing Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 245/45 since it's currently significantly cheaper than the new Michelin Pilot 4S.
It's very good in the dry but it's just down right impressive in the wet; REALLY eye opening traction in the rain.
It's almost like riding in a new car.
The PSS and P4S are both great tires! I have run both of them on my Scat Pack. The wet traction is incredible, along with the great ride and handling. They are the best tires I have owned BY FAR! I went with the 255s since the P4S was not available in 245s.

GTO_04

·
Registered
87 Posts
The PSS and P4S are both great tires! I have run both of them on my Scat Pack. The wet traction is incredible, along with the great ride and handling. They are the best tires I have owned BY FAR! I went with the 255s since the P4S was not available in 245s.

GTO_04
For sure, it's the best tire I have experienced in the wet, so far.
The stock Goodyear RS-A2 don't do justice to the car, IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say that 275s all around is probably the best bang form your buck, but I went staggered. I went as wide as I could, and then some on the rear with the 295s. I'd prefer the 315s, but like the stock wheel. I have 295 out back and 275 up front and I like it. I had 275s in the back and 245s up front only because the 245s I didn't want to waste. If I'd be even all around I'd go 275, but I like the wider look of the 295, it's a tiny amount wider in terms of contact, and I didn't break the bank, either.
What is the height of the tire I’d like 275s all around but what’s the tallest I could go

·
Registered
383 Posts
Calvin, everybody in the thread has been sticking with the same tire diameter only going wider so that you don't mess up the ABS or the speedometer. I don't believe anybody has accurately tried to get larger diameter tires most likely due to the rubbing issue that you might run into. You might have to Pioneer that for us and report back on how big you can go in diameter before the rubbing starts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
For sure, it's the best tire I have experienced in the wet, so far.
The stock Goodyear RS-A2 don't do justice to the car, IMO.
I picked up a 2019 Scat Pack so I am back to the RS-A2 until I wear them out. They are FAR better on wet roads than the F1 that came on my 2015. The F1s would hydroplane even at 50-55 MPH in the rain. I do find the RS-A2 to spin more easily on dry pavement than even the F1 tires. The HP/TQ are the same as my 2015, but maybe the 2019 is underrated.

It would be nice to get 27K from my RS-A2 tires like a previous poster but based on past tire history I am not expecting that! I never get more than 20K out of a set of tires, even when I had my G8GT. I was approaching that on my P4S when I traded my 2015.

GTO_04

·
Registered
383 Posts
GTO,
Somewhere around 20k miles I missed a rotation and just said fluck it and stopped rotating the RS-A2s.
I'm at 33k and the rears are at the wear bars. Up until about 30k I didn't abuse the tires with donuts or burnouts, etc so you should make it to 30k if you are reasonable and do the 5k rotations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts