Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just picked up my second nail in my second tire.
I think that it is finally time to get these conti's the factory put on, replaced.

I was interested in getting some opinions on which kind of tire would be best to use as a replacement.

Is the Goodyear Assurance the way to go? Or is there a better flavor of Goodyear's for this car?

I am not changing rims, just want better tires for the factory ones.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the GY's and would buy them again. It looks like I will get a lot of miles on them. Good tire for the money.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll be getting new tires myself. Either Pirelli's Pnero zero (new size just came out) or the BFG KDSW. A lot people like the BFG's.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm going Hankook or Michelin.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Goodyear Assurance tires and have no complaints yet, but to answer your question it all depends on your driving needs with regards to a good tire. For my needs the Assurance one's seem like they are going to give me some good mileage.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think I'm going to switch to 255/55/18 Eagle F1-GS-D3's, though I'm going to put them on a set of chrome AR Rogues.

Best,
I am thinking about these as well. Now I see that some go with the 50 series instead any difference? Or are the 55's going to maintain the "ratio" ?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I am thinking about these as well. Now I see that some go with the 50 series instead any difference? Or are the 55's going to maintain the "ratio" ?
The 55's are 1.4% larger than stock (if your speedo reads 60, you're actually going 60.9mph). The 50's are 2.1% smaller than stock (if your speedo reads 60, you're actually going 58.8mph).

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
As has been said, the 55% ratio tyres are slightly larger than stock. However, I chose them because as the tyres wear, the speedo becomes more accurate. If I had got the 50%'s, then as the tyres wore, the speedo would gradually obtain a worse error. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds, and I'm not all that happy with them. I get a LOT more slippage on wet pavement than I did with the stock Continentals. It's kinda forced me to drive a little slower (which is maybe a good thing), because it's too easy to spin them when taking a corner when they're wet. The traction control always kicks in and saves the day, but it's annoying.

They're rated for 80,000 miles, which I originally thought was a good thing (because my Contis were pretty worn after only about 16,000 miles), but now I want them to hurry up and wear out. :) I haven't really driven them in icy conditions (it was mild last winter), but I'm a little worried about them.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
These BFG's are the way to go. Sticky grip, and smooth and quiet. 245/55-18 so they are same diameter, but wider than stock.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Well, I just picked up my second nail in my second tire.
I think that it is finally time to get these conti's the factory put on, replaced.

I was interested in getting some opinions on which kind of tire would be best to use as a replacement.

Is the Goodyear Assurance the way to go? Or is there a better flavor of Goodyear's for this car?

I am not changing rims, just want better tires for the factory ones.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
In my previous message I just assumed you wanted to plus size. If you want to stick with the stock tire size.....

I just noticed that these tires (Avon M550 A/S) are available in our stock size 225/60/18. They're Z rated and relatively cheap @ $139 a pop at tirerack. I had a set of these on my Audi A6 and was quite happy with them. They replaced a set of Continental ExtremeContact tires (which are better than the stock tire on your Charger) and I preferred the Avons. YMMV.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A/S

Then there's always the stock Goodyear Assurance in 225/60/18. Those came on my R/T. I haven't had any complaints and they're relatively cheap @ $129 a pop at tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26HR8ACT&fromCompare1=yes&place=13

Best,

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds, and I'm not all that happy with them. I get a LOT more slippage on wet pavement than I did with the stock Continentals. It's kinda forced me to drive a little slower (which is maybe a good thing), because it's too easy to spin them when taking a corner when they're wet. The traction control always kicks in and saves the day, but it's annoying.

They're rated for 80,000 miles, which I originally thought was a good thing (because my Contis were pretty worn after only about 16,000 miles), but now I want them to hurry up and wear out. :) I haven't really driven them in icy conditions (it was mild last winter), but I'm a little worried about them.
They slip more because they are a harder tire. The harder the tire, the more miles they last. The softer the tire, the less miles they last. The contis were a softer tire. It depends what your goal is.

·
Registered
364 Posts
These BFG's are the way to go. Sticky grip, and smooth and quiet. 245/55-18 so they are same diameter, but wider than stock.

So you had 225/60/18 before right? tire noise difference? ride comfort? wet traction?

Scared me to go that big. no rub right?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
for the 18's id go with the bfg's or good year rsa in 235/55/18 either is an excellent choice, i got the rsa's on my 18's for the winter and have F1's for the summer on the 20's

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
For summer driving, I went with Goodyear F1 GS-D3s because of the grip that they provide in both wet and dry situations. I've had them on over a month now, and have put nearly 3000 miles on them. No problems thus far, and I'm very happy with my choice...although pricing is a little steep, but that's the trade-off. I was considering Pirelli PZero Rossos or Giallos but they wear too fast...and much more expensive than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I just got a new set of Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology... I my old car I had three set's GY RSA's and love'd em. These are an upgrae to the RSA. If you want a passenger car ride get passenger tires... if you want performance tires I suggest the GY ResponsEdge. I have a lowered RT and went with the 235/60 18 and so far i have had NO issues and love the improved ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts