Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is subjective.. but I'm looking for the best touring ride.. smoothest, handles bumps well, quiet..etc.. No need for high speed cornering at the expense of a tighter suspension that may be a bit rougher over bumpy roads... Looking for what's best for a daily driver (and for the family transportation)..

Thoughts. Considering an SXT and R/T with out without R&T...

Thanks in advance,

JK

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Go out and drive one of each.
Have not driven a SXT the R/T we drove was without R&T.
Then we drove the Daytona and fell in love.
So would have to say R/T with R/T.

Todd & Lynne

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The only Charger I've driven is my Daytona, which is basically an R/T with R/T. The ride is comfortable and smooth.
The handling is pretty good for a big car...I don't think I would want to drive this car with a lesser suspension.
My vote is get the R/T with R/T.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Another Daytona owner voting for R&T. I drove a straight RT, and bought the R&T. Never pushed the RT, but have pushed the PC. It goes around corners with an extremely well balanced feel. Doesn't ride rough or harsh.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Yet another Daytona owner here pushing for the Road & Track package. I drove an SXT, R/T, and two Daytonas before I bought my GoMango Daytona. I never regret buying it. Like others have said, drive each variety and see what suites you the best. :) Good luck and post back when you buy with pics! :grin:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a R/T w/out RaT.I test drove a TB the biggest difference for me was the seats (loved em).I allso dont do high speed cornering thing on public roads Im more of a straight line gas masher:devil: So its really up to what you want.But i will say this if the dealer had a midnight blue R/T with rat i would have gotten that i think

·
Registered
330 Posts
I drove an R/T without R&T for a week while my Daytona was being shipped so I have driven both with and without as well. If all you care about is a smooth ride (which by the sounds of it is the case), then get a charger without the R&T package. Me personally, I wouldn't own a charger without the R&T package, but if you don't care about improving the handling and cornering, why pay the extra money for something your not going to enjoy as much.

As others have said though, it's best to test drive both and decide which you like best. That will far outway anyone's opinions posted here.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I tried both and got the stock R/T without the R&T package. I was primarily out for comfort. I figured if I wanted a stiffer ride later, I could always get aftermarket springs/shocks/sways. Try 'em both.

Best,

·
Registered
234 Posts
R/T WITH Road and Track, definately the way to go.

The seats make a HUGE difference in how the ride quality feels.

Plus, you could always install Tein Coilovers, and have adjustable shock dampening (stiff/soft) at the touch of a button.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The base R/T ans the SXT have softer suspension and are therefore more comfortable in straight line on rough pavement. On the other hand, curves such as highway ramps feel a lot less dramatic in the R/T with R&T, due to significantly reduced body roll. This is the main reason why I bought the R&T package.

The seats are better, but I recently toured California for 3 weeks in a rental SXT and did not really missed my seats that much.

I did miss my engine and suspension, however, and with the 6cyl and the additional body roll, the SXT felt a thousand pounds heavier.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. From the sound of it, I can't go wrong either way.. but I'm leaning towards w/o the R&T, for a softer ride, a little easier on the pocket book and I see the tires on the R&T are VR's, which I'm assuming are soft compound (A traction) but with a low treadwear rating.. just guessing based on the VR's Eagles that came on my '89 Mustang that were spent at 22K miles.. (OK, so I did a few burnouts).. bottom line, probably replaced more often with a higher cost..

Plus, the low profile tires might be worse in the snow as that's a consideration here in the snow belt, especially with a RWD vehicle.

Thanks again for all the input.. I do need to find a dealer with all 3 cars to test drive.. seems to be slim pickings her in NE Ohio..

Take care,

JK

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Another advantage of the R&T package is the tighter steering. This made
a bigger difference than the the suspension to me.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The only Charger I've driven is my Daytona, which is basically an R/T with R/T. The ride is comfortable and smooth.
The handling is pretty good for a big car...I don't think I would want to drive this car with a lesser suspension.
My vote is get the R/T with R/T.
Agreed

If you get hemi power get a suspension that can handle it well

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'd get the r/t with r/t. seats are awesome. ride is awesome. its a whole different car. you might think that you dont want to turn any corners fast, but i guarantee that if u get the rt package and you are sitting in those awesome seats, you will turn fast. i'd definitely test drive both of them just so you can see the seats we're talking about. if they dont have an rt w/ rt at the dealer look at daytonas or srt's they all have the same seats.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If you want a soft/smooth ride, don't get the R&T pkg. It handles great, but the ride isn't the smoothest.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I drove my bosses RT, and honestly didn't care for it. Keep in mind at the time I had an '04 Jetta turbo, so there was a BIG size difference. I found my RT r&t, LOVED the way it looked, so I thought I'd give it another chance. I personally could tell a hell of a difference in the 2, the r&t felt more like a smaller car than what I was actually driving. It is of course, all personal preference, and as others have said, you should drive each, back to back in my opinion, and see which suits YOUR needs best.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
If you want a soft/smooth ride, don't get the R&T pkg. It handles great, but the ride isn't the smoothest.
Yes. The R&T and the SRT8 are rather stagecoach-like in terms of ride comfort. Great at the track....but a bit annoying as a daily driver. The only way to know for sure is to drive them both. Pick a bumpy road. :)

Best,

·
Registered
93 Posts
My $.02:

My bandmate's wife has the R/T that they bought last year. This car impressed me enough to seriously consider one for our next car when it was time. So, a few weeks ago, said bandmate & I took a R/T R/T out for a test drive. My wife got that same car later that evening. :)

I'm pretty picky about ride, handling, and performance. IMHO, though the R/T is a stellar car, the Road & Track pkg takes the car to where it rightfully should be. The small (imho) sacrifice in overall ride quality, which is a bit taut but still quite good, is eclipsed by the huge difference in cornering & overall handling. It is NOT uncomfortable as a daily driver whatsoever. I love it, and so does my wife. FWIW, we've done two 6-hour round trips in her R/T-R/T within the last 10 days, and we ended each trip very comfortable and without the usual gripes and aches afterwards. If that doesn't say something positive about overall ride comfort I don't know what does.

IMHO if you get the hemi R/T you miss half the beauty without the Road & Track upgrade (or an equitable suspension package). If you don't care about the HEMI performance, get the V6 SXT(?) and cruise it.

as far as the soft tires on the RT RT, take 'em off and put some good rubber on. You can do far better than those Goodyear Eagles. (treadwear 260- give me a break!) I'm fixing to do just that myself, but we only have 1400 miles on the car so far.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'll echo everyone's sentiments about the seats. The RT w/ RT package makes all the difference in the world in driving comfort. I test drove a normal RT, LOVED the power and acceleration, but the seats just didn't "hold" me.

My gomango? LOVE those seats, best seats in a car i've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.