Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what people thought we the best mods for the money. I have an '07 R/T and am looking to do some mods. like 180 thermostat, Noesp fan mod, etc, and wanted to put the $$ in the best places. Any info. would be appreciated.

thanks
Brian

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thermostat:Get the(motorad) valuecraft 4127(76) 4128 (80) at autozone.Will only set you back $15.
Tuner: I would recomend the diablo tho its not out yet even if the only deliver on (witch they will)half of what they promise they will still be 2ic as good as the curent tuner.
CAI:Go for the Rev hammer from hammer motorsports.Idont have it yet but i will since i have seen dynos favering theres by 2 hp over the next best one.
Thatll be a good starting point

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Hello, I was wondering what people thought we the best mods for the money. I have an '07 R/T and am looking to do some mods. like 180 thermostat, Noesp fan mod, etc, and wanted to put the $$ in the best places. Any info. would be appreciated.

thanks
Brian
Depends on what your ultimate goal is. Wanna go faster, want to handle better? Speed costs money...how fast you wanna go? :D

Cheers,

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I want it to go faster, but not crazy. Still be streetable. I also want to improve the handling and reduce body roll. Also, why do alot of the Dodge engineers say the cooler thermostat is not a good idea? Is it an emissions thing, gas milage thing, or what?

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I want it to go faster, but not crazy. Still be streetable. I also want to improve the handling and reduce body roll. Also, why do alot of the Dodge engineers say the cooler thermostat is not a good idea? Is it an emissions thing, gas milage thing, or what?
Upgraded sways aren't expensive. That will make a big dent in the body roll. The Hotchkis sways seem nice. Thinking of getting those myself.

I personally think the tstat idea isn't going to make much difference on a street car. The tstat is a binary switch. It's either open or closed. Once your engine is hot enough that the thermostat is open, it's effectively out of the loop and the engine will operate at its designed temperature range that the cooling system can support given the ambient temperature. Drag racers like it to open as soon as possible to keep the engine as cool as they can until they get their run. But it just delays the inevitable.

There's no inexpensive way to get meaningful power added to your hemi. You can certainly add power by upgrading the heads, cams, exhaust, adding a supercharger, nitrous, etc. But then you're looking at a couple of grand at a minimum, especially if you're not supplying the labor. The little "inexpensive bolt on" things such as a "cold air intake" might add a few horses here and there, but they don't make that much difference in terms of power (makes lots of noise though). :D

Best,

·
Registered
359 Posts
Upgraded sways aren't expensive. That will make a big dent in the body roll. The Hotchkis sways seem nice. Thinking of getting those myself.

I personally think the tstat idea isn't going to make much difference on a street car. The tstat is a binary switch. It's either open or closed. Once your engine is hot enough that the thermostat is open, it's effectively out of the loop and the engine will operate at its designed temperature range that the cooling system can support given the ambient temperature. Drag racers like it to open as soon as possible to keep the engine as cool as they can until they get their run. But it just delays the inevitable.

There's no inexpensive way to get meaningful power added to your hemi. You can certainly add power by upgrading the heads, cams, exhaust, adding a supercharger, nitrous, etc. But then you're looking at a couple of grand at a minimum, especially if you're not supplying the labor. The little "inexpensive bolt on" things such as a "cold air intake" might add a few horses here and there, but they don't make that much difference in terms of power (makes lots of noise though). :D

Best,
What you said makes sense to me, but I've had a different experience on my K2500. When I bought a tuner for it (I think it is a superchips), they recommended putting a 180 or 160 tstat in it, which I did. What I have noticed is that the engine temp runs much cooler than it used to. She used to run just below 210 all the time, and now she runs just below about 180 all the time. So even though what you said seems to make sense, I wonder if having a lower temp thermostat doesn't increase the coolant flow in the system so that not only does the thermostat open sooner, but it remains further opened, thus allowing more coolant to flow faster over the radiator, thus keeping the engine cooler at all times. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the tstat keeps my car a lil bit cooler on teh highway but in traffic it makes no diff. i was told to get the .05 cent fan mod, but i have a diablo predator in the mail and it can change the temp the fan starts so im just waiting. those 2 in combonation are sposed to help with engine temp.

180 tstat~ .001 hp 15 bucks
diablo~ 20hp, 3-400 bucks
headers/highflow cats/catback~ 5-25 hp, 500-3500 bucks (depending on how many pieces of this puzzle you have
cai~ 10 hp, -250-300 bucks

take your car to a diablo certified tuner, get custom dyno tuned and your looking at maybe 50-60 hp to the weels. but for some reason even that number sounds really high to me. idk for like 2 grand if you dont get the top shelf items. and you get an amazing improvement in sound :)

im no expert and these numbers are generalizations i hope im not too far off :p this is the setup im going for on my car. back to work!

·
Registered
507 Posts
to me the big 3 upgrades for the money and performace are CAI, Tuner, and an ehaust. you can find a nice AFE for around $250 the tuner for $300-400, and depending on your exhaust anywhere from $500 to $1000. if you shop around and buy a used exhaust and a group buy tuner you can probly spend about $1000 for all three which you will definatly feel the power difference. .

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I believe the easier mod to get and cheaper and cooler is the led interior lights
those rock!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I believe the easier mod to get and cheaper and cooler is the led interior lights
those rock!
yea. those makes your car so much faster, specially for price. total bang for your buck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good mods:
Superchip 91 tune
SRT8 airbox W/K&N filter or CAI
Sidewinder Cam

Bad Mods:
Mopar Performance torque converter
NOESP mod on AWD vehicles

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
bad mods:
blow off valve noise maker.(lol)
super turbine in your intake thingy
throttle body spacer

dotn waste your cash on those

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good mods:
Superchip 91 tune
SRT8 airbox W/K&N filter or CAI
Sidewinder Cam

Bad Mods:
Mopar Performance torque converter
NOESP mod on AWD vehicles
So, you get an SRT8 stock air box and use that with a K&N CAI? I already have a K&N CAI. Anyone have the part numbers for what I need to do this?

thanks for everyones help
Brian

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, what are the big differences between the new Diablo tuner and the Superchips? I already have the superchips with a K&N CAI and flowmaster 40 on the back.

thanks
brian

·
Registered
391 Posts

Best,
I agree with you the Tstat is to preserve HP but when your idling on a 90+ degree day you still need a fan mod or your right its a fight against the inevitable just to maintain it within certain parameters is worth 15 IMO.
Basically the idea isn't to gain HP but to stop the loss of it when your engine climes 190-195+

Also, what are the big differences between the new Diablo tuner and the Superchips? I already have the superchips with a K&N CAI and flowmaster 40 on the back.

thanks
brian
The superchips from my understanding (don't own one wasn't for me) Does the shifting stuff really well.
But the Diablo has proven to gain 20+ RWHP and 20+RWTQ on there canned 93 octane tune.They have adjustable parameters fuel air ratio timing spark.Eliminate the trq mng lessen esp theres allot more.O and you can get the hemi custom tuned for headers heads cam son son

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am using the SRT8 airbox with the drop in K&N filter.
The Diablo is "supose" to be better, but it is not proven yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts

thanks
brian
The Superchips is a proven performer. The best we have @ the present.

The Diablosport sound great, but I will wait & see.

If it will allow axle ratio changes, it will be worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
If it will allow axle ratio changes, it will be worth it's weight in gold.

pshaw. more like a crate fulls weight. ;)

the diablo lets you get custom tunes. aside from the nick nacks it has and superchips doesnt... superchips has a few it doesnt. they are pretty comparable. if u have headers or anything like that, you can take your diablo to a certified diablo tuner with a dyno and they will alter your cars tunes at every RPM range, which will bring out the real beast in your mods. rather than just letting the SC use its canned tuens which are not customizable.

the srt airbox, he means, is to be used with a Drop in K&N filter. if you have a KnN cai already then there is no need to get the srt box, thats a downgrade.

(a filter drops in. a CAI replaces the tube and the filter and the air box with super high flow shiz)

·
Registered
693 Posts
pshaw. more like a crate fulls weight. ;)

the diablo lets you get custom tunes. aside from the nick nacks it has and superchips doesnt... superchips has a few it doesnt. they are pretty comparable. if u have headers or anything like that, you can take your diablo to a certified diablo tuner with a dyno and they will alter your cars tunes at every RPM range, which will bring out the real beast in your mods. rather than just letting the SC use its canned tuens which are not customizable.

the srt airbox, he means, is to be used with a Drop in K&N filter. if you have a KnN cai already then there is no need to get the srt box, thats a downgrade.

(a filter drops in. a CAI replaces the tube and the filter and the air box with super high flow shiz)
I hope all of these promises come true but HAL is a tough nut to crack & I have seen lots of promises from Hypertech & others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.