Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car with the tint from the dealer (technically illegal because this tint is way too dark). Any guesses as to what % it is? 50% is the max in Ohio up front, but most get away with a little darker. This is real dark though, and at night if there is no street light I can't see out of the side windows at all. It looks great and keeps me cool, but I can see it being a problem.

I'm thinking I may just pay to have the front re-done at a closer-to-legal level to hopefully avoid a ticket and be safer.

The interior is black which makes it hard to see anything to begin with, but in the second picture I have a white shirt hanging on the seat where I would be... I can't see it at all!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has to be 5% at least, you don't get that kind of reflection with anything less.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
201 Posts
Btw, that isn't a factory color is it? I love the vibrant blue.

-Mitch

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I would think the dealer could be facing legal issues if they sold the car like that! :skep:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, that isn't a factory color is it? I love the vibrant blue.

-Mitch
Limited run on Daytonas. Looks pretty akin to the Blue Streak Pearl on the SRT8s which was very limited AFAIK.

I agree, 5% limo tint
Thought it might be 20%... but 5% man oh man!

I would think the dealer could be facing legal issues if they sold the car like that! :skep:
Yeah, possible for sure. ORC specifically states it is illegal to sell the car like that - but the average customer has no idea or doesn't care, and it's not like dealer lots get inspected for things like this (I don't believe! haha)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
AFTER you get the tint removed, you might send a PM with the dealer info. to our buddy Shots. ;)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Definitely 5%! That's the only way to go IMO. I have 5% all around on my car and it's fantastic in the desert heat. Plus people can't see in which is great.

My dealership tinted my windows 5%...I was supposed to sign a waiver but they never followed through. Since then their policy changed and they won't do anything darker than 35%.

If you won't get ticketed for it I would keep it man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my luck ran out... one of Shots' buddies of the OSHP pulled me over today for my tint. Nice guy, but a real dick move in my opinion... right before Thanksgiving! He checked it with the meter at 3%... so 5% tint + 80% glass = 3%. Makes sense... not sure if I'll remove/change it out yet. I was careless because he was behind me in the turn lane. Had I seen him, I could've just rolled down the windows on the turn. First time I've been stopped in about 2 months of driving the car.

Funny thing is, manager at Ziebart when I got my windshield tint removed said my side tint was 20% since he could still "barely see through it" on an overcast day. Shows what he knows!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Being busted for having something illegal on the car hardly qualifies as being a "dick move" regardless of the time of year and like you said the LEO was nice about it.

You knew it was illegal and you finally got busted for it so don't complain. If you choose to keep it on the car, don't complain when you get busted next time either.

If you choose to play, be prepared to pay.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Before you peel it. See if you can qualify for an exemption in your state, in Florida they remove ALL restrictions if you have a prescription from a Dr. Or you can prove the vehicle is used for surveillance. Such as a PI license or something to the effect.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here is an example of my car, it is 5% all the way around, 35% on the windshield and a 5% strip to hide the lightbar.

How it looks at dusk from inside.

It was expensive, all Llumar CTR ceramic film, lifetime warranty on all labor and product, also have window break replacement, and it was all computer cut, might end up ADDING a layer of 20% over the back for just a little more. Just a little disclaimer, I a am tint exempt. Fl Law for a passenger car is 15% on the back 30% in the front, and trucks, SUVs, Vans, etc. are 5% in the back 30% front. Windshields are 80% and the strip can be as dark as desired but no lower than the AS1 line. also all %'s have a 5% buffer. so 30 would be 25, 15 would be 10, etc.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have 5% all around and a 5% bar on the windshield as well. I have been pulled over once for my tint. The officer was nice but told me my car was too loud and too dark and it was "time to grow up". He's lucky I didn't rip his ass out, my wife almost did. No ticket, obviously, because he was just looking for something else.

Go see your optometrist and get a prescription for tint on your car. The tint laws are stupid, I don't care what anyone says or how anyone rationalizes it. Until you get it sorted out, just pay attention and roll your windows down like you said. Police by me don't care about tint, they realize it's a foolish law also. They only use it as an excuse to pull someone over (it's rare) to look for more serious items.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Being busted for having something illegal on the car hardly qualifies as being a "dick move" regardless of the time of year and like you said the LEO was nice about it.

You knew it was illegal and you finally got busted for it so don't complain. If you choose to keep it on the car, don't complain when you get busted next time either.

If you choose to play, be prepared to pay.
Yes, I did know it was illegal - but I can still be mad about it :wink3:.

Tint laws vary wildly from state to state. It's not an immediate danger to myself or others. It's something used to protect the interior of the car, keep the temperature lower/save fuel, and have privacy (hate those wandering eyes at stoplights). I never would have put 5% on it myself. Like I said months ago, it was the dealer who set me up for failure. But I'm sure they saw it as an additional attraction point for a buyer. I was in and out in 10 minutes late at night 2 and a half hours away, so it's not like I had much chance to get anything done about it anyway from the dealer. Removing it myself? I don't want to damage the windows. Paying to remove it? I don't want to pay for something I didn't do to the vehicle... but I bought it, so I guess I have to suck it up.

I'm mad because it's a crappy law to collect cash from people who, more than likely, aren't doing anything illegal. I mean 50% - really Ohio? Not necessarily useless, but forget privacy. The trooper was "nice" about it, though anything less than what he was would have been unprofessional. I had never been stopped before, never checked before to even know what it was, had only been driving the car for 2 months because I got it right before my deployment and had not even been home for a month yet, and I was more than obliging and cooperative with him. He's the kind of guy I could see writing someone for going 1 MPH over. Okay to do? Legally yes, but in the eyes of most it's something a jerkoff would do.

I think what really ticked me off was his shadiness in "running my license" because that's when he returned with the ticket. Man up and tell me what you're going to do. I understand it from a controlling-the-situation and safety perspective, but I am military (which he knew) and was in a very busy area in a parking lot. That, and he could be out doing much better things. In my conversation with him, he pretty much said he stops for equipment violations all the time and writes for them. Using them for a probably cause stop and hoping to hit dope or something is fine, but just cashing in for revenue is pathetic police work.

Before you peel it. See if you can qualify for an exemption in your state, in Florida they remove ALL restrictions if you have a prescription from a Dr. Or you can prove the vehicle is used for surveillance. Such as a PI license or something to the effect.
I have 5% all around and a 5% bar on the windshield as well. I have been pulled over once for my tint. The officer was nice but told me my car was too loud and too dark and it was "time to grow up". He's lucky I didn't rip his ass out, my wife almost did. No ticket, obviously, because he was just looking for something else.

Go see your optometrist and get a prescription for tint on your car. The tint laws are stupid, I don't care what anyone says or how anyone rationalizes it. Until you get it sorted out, just pay attention and roll your windows down like you said. Police by me don't care about tint, they realize it's a foolish law also. They only use it as an excuse to pull someone over (it's rare) to look for more serious items.

Goodluck!
If anything, it'd be the prescription route. I'll check into it... wonder how hard it'd be to get something like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts