Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I would appreciate it if the vendors would stay out of this thread. I am looking for peoples opinions and experiences regarding cams for the 6.1L SRTs.

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the thread that I was looking for so we can cover the subject again :grin:

I would like to know what cam gives the best "all around" package? I don't want a cam that is all high end and no low end or vice versa, want something that gives good performance across the entire RPM range if such a thing exists. If not, then what is the next best thing? Also I would like to know WHY you think it's the best cam. Also, please no price battles.....not concerned with who has a good deal, just interested in who has the best cam and why people feel that it's the best.

Does the top cam belong to PPP, HHP, Franks or someone else entirely?

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!! :nervous s

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It seems to me that the stock SRT cam is what you are looking for. The aftermarket cams are going to be a compromise. You have to give up power on the bottom to get more on the top and vice versa.

Am I right?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The FRI Hellfire cam is a good all around cam. I just switched to the FRI Tomahawk cam and it rocks down low and in the 1/4 mile. All depends on what you want. I do most of my driving down low so to me, the Tomahawk is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
By the way, there has yet to be a true comparison on the track of all the different cams out there. That day will probably never happen, too many variables etc...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to me that the stock SRT cam is what you are looking for. The aftermarket cams are going to be a compromise. You have to give up power on the bottom to get more on the top and vice versa.

Am I right?
I don't deny that the SRT stock cam is a good one. I am merely looking to see which cam(s) out of the aftermarket that the majority of people think are better and why they think they are better.

FlyByU said:
The FRI Hellfire cam is a good all around cam. I just switched to the FRI Tomahawk cam and it rocks down low and in the 1/4 mile. All depends on what you want. I do most of my driving down low so to me, the Tomahawk is the way to go.
Thank you for your post. Would you say that the Tomahawk dramatically increases low to midrange power but is at a loss in the high end compared to the stock SRT cam? Or is it close/comparable to the stock cam in the high end?

Keep the posts coming please :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Same as a stock at high end. I tested this on the way down to Etown with our forum buddy NYC_SRT8. Actually he said I was pulling on him slightly, but it wasnt much. We are talkin WAY high end, lol.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same as a stock at high end. I tested this on the way down to Etown with our forum buddy NYC_SRT8. Actually he said I was pulling on him slightly, but it wasnt much. We are talkin WAY high end, lol.
Thanks for the info. So far I have that the Tomahawk dramatically increases the low and midrange power and is about equal to the stock SRT cam in the high end.

But only two different people want to post some info and experiences for me? Kind of weak tbh. I was expecting a little bigger turnout for this thread :(

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
More people on lxforums have experience with cam mods. Post over there, you will get a much bigger response.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Not to be a d!ck or anything, but you have headers, heads, cam, and a converter and NYC_SRT8's stock '07 SRT-8 was hanging with you? I don't understand why heads & cam packages seem to do so little for the SRT-8. Is it that the stock heads & cam are that good or is it that the tuning isn't quite there yet?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You'll see :) wait til you start modding yours. Ask Will how he would do from a dead stop, thats what my setup is designed for.

The tuning is gonna open these cars up I believe, just gotta wait and see. As far as Will, I said it pretty clearly in my post, my cam etc... puts my power down low. I wanted a faster 1/4 mile car and thats what Ive got.

With my Hellfire, I would have pulled on Will much harder. But it is what it is. The converter does nothing for high speed runs, so that mod isnt comparible. The long tubes are a down low gain again (debatable). The heads and cam, 40 hp maybe with my minimal tuning. 40 hp at 130 mph aint gonna pull much, lol.

Id like to line up against your 12.5 all stock car though. That would be a nice comparison to see where Im at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts