Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the aftermath of ElCobra's cam swap, I had the opportunity to make his Charger the lucky 2nd recipient of the Belly Pan Mod, v5.0 (serial number 0002). What we're accomplishing with this mod is to replace the four clunky spring nuts that never seem to align properly when you're laying under your Charger (or Magnum, or 300) trying to re-mount the belly pan. That's the kind of frustrating experience that can easily put a damper on the warm afterglow of a successful oil change, so I decided to develop something better than OEM. What you'll end up with after this mod is four bolts that project downward and allow you to mount the belly pan with wing nuts.

When I got to the Cobra Cave, the belly pan(s) were already removed; they hadn't yet been replaced after all of that high falutin' engine work (you know, the kind of stuff that'll never be listed in my sig, i.e., not a poor man's mod). So step 1, remove belly pan, had already been accomplished.

At this time, let me digress a slight bit and point out that the thing you want to remove to service your car is "Belly Pan 2." The narrow piece at the very front of the car is Belly Pan 1, and for the most part you don't ever need to remove it (good thing, because it's held on with 10 bolts and 6 rivets!).

Step 2 is to remove the cheapo spring clip nuts that are the weak link in the belly pan mount. This is best done by a combination of prying with a screwdriver and pulling with needle-nose pliers. Three of the four on Matt's car came off with little trouble; the fourth one decided to hide in the frame for a while. We went spelunking with magnetic pick-ups, gave up in disgust, but later found it ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR! It IS a spring, after all. It must have traveled about four feet.

Step 3 is to CAREFULLY insert the bolt into the square opening in the member, holding it with needle-nose pliers. Position the end of the bolt over the round hole, and use a magnet to "grab" the bolt and pull it down through the round hole (I think Matt was so awe-struck by this process that he almost neglected to get a picture of it).

Step 4 is to put a washer and nut on the bolt and tighten them.

Step 5 is to install the belly pan and tighten it down with four more washers and four wing nuts.

Looking good!

I have enough bits and pieces laying on my work bench to mod another 40 LX's, so don't be shy about hitting me up...

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Man that thing got me so frustrated one day that it is not sitting in my friggin garage! Great idea!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Pretty good idea. Last time I changed my oil, I had a problem getting everything to line up. I was laying under my Charger and turned my head to check the alignment on the other side and caught the side of my nose along the leading edge of the front belly pan. I shaved the skin off one side of my nose and it bled like crazy. I may have to do something similar next time I change my oil to make it easier to remove and reinstall the belly pan.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to do something similar next time I change my oil to make it easier to remove and reinstall the belly pan.

The key is to get rid of the spring nuts. Two of the four failed versions of this mod retained them, and the @#%^$^ thing FELL OFF! There will be no such problems with this version, as long as you 1) tighten them sufficiently and 2) remove and re-install the belly pan every 3 months or 3000 miles, which you should be doing already...

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
wing nuts??? someone here was alive in the sixties werent they?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
This is an awesome idea. I always hated laying under my car struggling to line up the bolts with the sliding retainers in poor light. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
This is an awesome idea. I always hated laying under my car struggling to line up the bolts with the sliding retainers in poor light. Thanks.
...andhe wasn't even changing oil.:smoke:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmm, one of my spring nuts broke, I just replaced them with stouter ones from the hardware bins at Lowes:) More spring to them, so they dont flop as much. Mine doesnt bug me at all, maybe its the years of aircraft wrenching, you get used to not even seeing what your wrenching on.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Cool idea with the bolts and wing nuts.

But, now you have a gap between the back of the belly pan and the cross member. I sure hope the belly pan does not move in the wind and cause a flapping sound at highway speeds.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Cool idea with the bolts and wing nuts.

But, now you have a gap between the back of the belly pan and the cross member. I sure hope the belly pan does not move in the wind and cause a flapping sound at highway speeds.
No, it's rock solid.

anyone know what size i need to use
PM DA x 6 and I'm sure he'll hook you up!

Just one addition, use stainless bolts, nuts and washers at your local hardware. No rust.
I like them to match the rust on the suspension. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
:lol:
Hmm, one of my spring nuts broke, I just replaced them with stouter ones from the hardware bins at Lowes:) More spring to them, so they dont flop as much. Mine doesnt bug me at all, maybe its the years of aircraft wrenching, you get used to not even seeing what your wrenching on.
That statement in itself makes me nervous to fly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
pretty cool idea..... I hate taking that thing off every time i change my oil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts