Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the symptoms/signs of bad front wheel bearings? I have a whining /humming noise from the front from 50-80 mph. I have eiback dampers 1 & 1/4 drop with Hotchkis springs and sway bar. I'm running 255 45 20 Toyo Proxes 4s on Milano wheels. Could the struts be causing the constant road noise. How would I know if the bearings need replacing?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Usually they will whine or "sing" when turning more one way than the other, that is, the right wheel bearing will be noisy when going around a left-hand curve, or a change in noise just by lightly loading the steering wheel one way or the other. The best sure-fire diagnosis is to take the brake caliper off or removing the wheel bearing all together and turning it by hand. A bad bearing is evident.

Tire noise is sometimes hard to tell from a bad wheel bearing, but you should be able to rotate tires to isolate a bad tire.

Bad wheel alignment could also cause constant road noise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had DC performance in LA take a look at it and they confirmed that it is the bearings and meanwhile the found a cracked engine mount. HMMMMM!!!!???

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
if the bearings are bad, you will see grease coming out of them on the back side.

thats how i always knew it was time to change them on my Ram.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No grease. These are sealed bearings. basically the whining sound is what gave it away. can you believe that the dealer told me that there was nothing wrong with the bearings but that it was my extensive modifications (eibacks shocks and springs and Hotchkis sway bar. I hate the dealerships. bunch of f%$#ing idiots. I will never go back to the dealership again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what you are saying now. I didn't get a chanceto inspect them closely. My DAAAAA!!! but the noise is gone and the car rides awesome now. Thanks for the info and help everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts