Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NOT used the autostick in my car. The dealer (during the test drive) was telling me as a selling point, that it saves on gas during intown driving.

Ive driven stick, and obviously automatic... I am nervous about killing the transmission learning how to use the stick..

So, run it down for me...step by easy step please :lol: :lol:

Im assuming, and trying to recal what the dealer told me...

Put into drive.. tap to right to put it into 1st, then when you hit 20, tap into 2nd? 30...tap into 3rd? and so on and so forth.. right

Then as I slow down, tap down into 3rd when hitting the 30mph mark, and dap down into 2nd when hitting the 20mph mark??

Typing that out, it just seems way to easy.:knockout: Which is confusing me even more..(HA proof, I am a chick for those that were not sure). :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
autostick will not ruin your car in anyway.

from D to autostick, it is already in 1, maybe 2 depending on your speed at takeoff. it will not save gas in and around town.

play with it a bit, its fun. i use it most days just buzzing around town.

you can tap up or down depending on what you want to do. dont worry about shifting in time because the computer will automatically do it for you when you reach a certain rpm.

tap up or down, hold to the right to get it back in D.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
autostick will not ruin your car in anyway.

from D to autostick, it is already in 1, maybe 2 depending on your speed at takeoff. it will not save gas in and around town.

play with it a bit, its fun. i use it most days just buzzing around town.

you can tap up or down depending on what you want to do. dont worry about shifting in time because the computer will automatically do it for you when you reach a certain rpm.

tap up or down, hold to the right to get it back in D.

ohhhh I just noticed im 30 minutes away from you...

Okay, back on topic... I dont need to match the RPM or MPH then??

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
ohhhh I just noticed im 30 minutes away from you...

Okay, back on topic... I dont need to match the RPM or MPH then??
no not at all. i really bust my cars balls and barely ever tap right, i usually let my superchips tune do it for me. i do tap left though if i need to get out of a jam in a hurry.

by now though, you should know your car pretty well and can tell when you want to shift up or down. ;)

where do you live? a few of us get together on a semi regular basis. i live near montclair/piedmont, everyone just knows oakland though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Like NYT said, just play with it. You're not going to hurt the car in any way. The computer will override anything wrong you do. If the rpms go too high, the computer will change the gear if you don't. In that example, the worst that can happen is you use a little more gas. It's just like a manual tranny except there isn't a clutch to pusg it before you change the gear. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually live in Oakley.. So 30 -40 minutes max, with the way I drive..lol

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like NYT said, just play with it. You're not going to hurt the car in any way. The computer will override anything wrong you do. If the rpms go too high, the computer will change the gear if you don't. In that example, the worst that can happen is you use a little more gas. It's just like a manual tranny except there isn't a clutch to pusg it before you change the gear. Hope that helps.
Thats what I was hoping for.. I was wondering if I would hear any gear grinding, or if the car would stall out on me.. Or if I would see a ton of smoke coming out from under the hood....etc..I could go on, I have a vivid imagination:nervous s

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I actually live in Oakley.. So 30 -40 minutes max, with the way I drive..lol
lol, youre mobbin then. haha. i make it in about 40 with light traffic.

i work a lot in antioch, ken (talon) lives there as well. we should get some lunch some time.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, youre mobbin then. haha. i make it in about 40 with light traffic.

i work a lot in antioch, ken (talon) lives there as well. we should get some lunch some time.
That would be cool.. Keep in touch!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
how does autostick save gas in the city? when you forget u left it in first at half the stops/lights and step on it and burn lots of petrol. lawl. i will hold my car in the highest gear tho(i rarely drive in "D") to get the least resistance from gears and thusly coast better anduse less gas when im not on the pedal.

no. the computer in these cars makes it so tards like me who accidently hit the stick left, twice, on the freeway at 80 from 4th gear to get into third, instead of once, dont havev our transmissions rolling down the freeway behind us.

ive had the car be just on the verge of being at low enough rpm's in 4th where it will drop into second and my car gear breaks and the hemi scream comers out and i panic.

but i know that Hal(our evil onboard demon in our cars) wont let us do anything we might regret.

so take your baby for a spin. hold it in first gear as long as you can, it will automatically shift up for you. feel the difference in accelleration

and i hope this isnt rude but... how can you ahve 700+ posts, and i know ive seen you post previously, so i assume youve had the car a while..... and never have touched the autostick? :knockout:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and i hope this isnt rude but... how can you ahve 700+ posts, and i know ive seen you post previously, so i assume youve had the car a while..... and never have touched the autostick? :knockout:
Ive just never tapped it. I put it in drive, and leave it alone.....:smoke:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have NOT used the autostick in my car. The dealer (during the test drive) was telling me as a selling point, that it saves on gas during intown driving.

Ive driven stick, and obviously automatic... I am nervous about killing the transmission learning how to use the stick..

Put into drive.. tap to right to put it into 1st, then when you hit 20, tap into 2nd? 30...tap into 3rd? and so on and so forth.. right

Then as I slow down, tap down into 3rd when hitting the 30mph mark, and dap down into 2nd when hitting the 20mph mark??

Typing that out, it just seems way to easy.:knockout: Which is confusing me even more..(HA proof, I am a chick for those that were not sure). :lol: :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong, but cars that are MDS equipped are in full V8 Mode (gas saver is a no-no). I use it mainly launching off the on ramp. Responds alot better. I just started using the stick for my more "spirited" driving days. It's a whole other car when you use it. Just takes time for you to learn what gear you are in. In the city, on the first "tip" I drop back to 3. On the HW, I drop to 4. If I am trying to pass grandma doing 55 in a 70 on the I, I tap it twice and launch :grin:

You won't kill it. Car does all the saftey shifting for you so you don't wind up destroying the transmission by neglecting it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

This may have already been said (didnt read all thread) but having it in Auto stick will not save gas when crusing around town, (I think) when your in auto stick the MDS never drops to 4 vs. 8 cylinders...

A good thing about auto stick is that it will shift for you, as to not allow you to blow the engine, so when you reach the rpm max if you do not shift the car will. Same thing with down shifting, as you slow down it will down shift for you.
Also when in drive and changing (pull to the left) it will select a gear for you.
To get it back in drive you will need to shift (pull to the right) through all 5 gears and then 1 more into drive)

All this I'm sure has been said but maybe not..
Have fun with it!!!!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off to take a shower, and go to work, lets see if I am brave enough to play around with it today?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
This may have already been said (didnt read all thread) but having it in Auto stick will not save gas when crusing around town, (I think) when your in auto stick the MDS never drops to 4 vs. 8 cylinders...

A good thing about auto stick is that it will shift for you, as to not allow you to blow the engine, so when you reach the rpm max if you do not shift the car will. Same thing with down shifting, as you slow down it will down shift for you.
Also when in drive and changing (pull to the left) it will select a gear for you.
To get it back in drive you will need to shift (pull to the right) through all 5 gears and then 1 more into drive)

All this I'm sure has been said but maybe not..
Have fun with it!!!!!!
correct, using autostick on the highway will stop mds from taking over, thus you will get worse gas mileage on the highway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Autostick

I use autostick quite a bit. anyone know if you are supposed to let off the gas when you shift. I hear and feel a much firmer and stronger shift in autoshift.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I use autostick quite a bit. anyone know if you are supposed to let off the gas when you shift. I hear and feel a much firmer and stronger shift in autoshift.
I dont, havent had any problems.........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts