Charger Forums banner

Be Careful of Who You Hit When Fleeing the Scene!

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 · (Edited)
So my buddy calls me up a 9:00 AM this morning asking me if I had my buffer in my hands. I told him that I was waxing something but her name wasn't "car". Of all the nerve, he knows that I am either sleep or "working" that damn early in the morning! He's a bachelor too so he KNOWS better!

Here's what happened. He's turning into a parking lot and some guy with no license decides to pull out and swipe the back end of his car. Realizing what he did, the guy decides to run. Bad decision. My buddy is a detective with the local PD and he was driving his unmarked Charger with a HEMI. So he chases the guy for a block and pulls him over. I told him that it must be nice having a cop around when you need one! :D

Bottom line is, this bumper will need to painted in order to make it 100% perfect, which means that he would have to turn it in to the motor pool. He didn't want to do that because he knows that he would get a hooptie to drive while they take their time fixing his. He wasn't having any of that so he called me. Here's the damage he showed up with.

Damage like this is going to require a more aggressive polisher than the PC-7424XP if you want to fix it sometime this week. At the same time, a rotary polisher could have easily MELTED this rear fascia considering how flexible it is. Since he was in a hurry, I had to just blast the job out. So I broke out some 3M Perfect-It™ I Rubbing Compound, 3M Perfect-It™ II Machine Polish, a flat surfaced green pad, a flat surfaced white pad and my trusty ol' Flex-3401VRG.

A couple of things to note. Normally I would have washed and clayed that area, and wet sanded that remaining scratch out of the paint. However, due to time restraints, I just did the "hook a brutha' up" repair. If you saw the finished product, you wouldn't have ever known that this car was in an accident. I told him to make sure that he reported it to Car Fax.

Here's the final results.

He asked me what I wanted for the job. I told him to dance like Calvin & Hobbs. He said he'll meet me at Texas Roadhouse. My Lord, I would have loved to seen the face of that guy when his rear view mirror filled up with Christmas lights! :D

That's all folks!

The Junkman

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL love the gif at the end Junkman!

You have amazing skills man! I'm incredibly impressed! I have a similar issue that I'm going to try to fix on my girlfriend's Dart. I'll have to take a photo and show you maybe get your input on whether or not I can actually fix it myself. Apparently a truck dropped shingles on the highway and nailed the front lip of her car, looks gnarly but I think it looks worse than it is.

But yeah, with that, awesome job on the hook up! :beerchug:

#5 ·
I'll say this. Looking at the pictures and actually FEELING the damage would cause me to advise two, completely different solutions. When I first saw his damage, I was like dayum! Once I started rubbing and evaluating just how bad it was, I felt like there was something that I could do. So with that said, I don't know how much help I can be if it's bad. Maybe if you make a video of the damage, I will have a little better luck at offering a sound solution. :beerchug:

that's fantastic. my wife scraped a mailbox on her brilliant black durango. I tried the Maguiars scratch x2.0 a number of times and it hasn't worked. Might have to try some of this 3m rubbing compound and watch a Junkman video to make sure I do it right.
Were you doing this by hand or with a machine?

#3 ·
that's fantastic. my wife scraped a mailbox on her brilliant black durango. I tried the Maguiars scratch x2.0 a number of times and it hasn't worked. Might have to try some of this 3m rubbing compound and watch a Junkman video to make sure I do it right.

#12 · (Edited)
This is the south, good ol' boy country. Things are a little bit more lenient here. He wrote a traffic accident report and towed the guy's car since he had no license but he cut him some slack on the pursuit since the guy pulled over as soon as he lit him up. The guy could have claimed that he never realized that he had hit him. Any lawyer would have been able to plea that down.

#11 ·
Damn, that is one hell of a job on that scrape, you are definitely the detailing king. I am glad you posted those videos too, I think it is time for me to learn some of this stuff.

#15 ·
Damn, that is some awesome work. Me thinks I need a road trip ;)

#17 ·
Bring food or women... and not necessarily in that order. :D

That must have been a piece of cake compared to the job you did when that tire took out the front of your 'vette.
Yea, that wreck had the shock factor for me of your wife catching you in bed with another woman. You lay there butt naked trying to wrap your brain around what is actually happening at that very moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.