Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I finished my BC Coilover install yesterday and today took the car for a long ride. I noticed that the rear passenger is making a clunking noise, almost like something is loose. I did all of the work on my lift, but I was heading down to my brother's shop to do tires so I had him and my nephew (another mechanic) triple-check my work. I did brakes at the same time, so they went over the calipers, caliper brackets, control arm bolts, shocks, etc. They found nothing loose or out of the ordinary.

I found some posts - not Charger specific - that mentions that the big center bolt on the shock can be loose. Has anyone run into this? I plan on checking it tomorrow, and I'm wondering what else to look for. Or did I just get a bad shock?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where you able to figure anything out? I never had any issues with mine making any noise after install, but I have had to trouble-shoot rear suspention noise, and it is quite an annoying thing to have to do. Unrelated, by my noise ended up being a loose Rear Sway bar link lower bolt, but I had just installed new links a few weeks earlier, so it didn't show it's face right away. And same with you, I did all the work myself, and swore I double checked everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, still looking. I did brakes and cat-back exhaust at the same time, so a bit more to check. Actually, I think the exhaust is banging. I drove the car when I was done - just a very short drive, because I had a broken cat pipe - but don't recall hearing any banging. I think drove the car about 30 miles to a friend's exhaust shop, and again don't remember hearing it bang. At the exhaust shop, he fixed the broken pipe and installed dual tips (I had removed the factory tips) and that's when I noticed the banging. I quickly checked the exhaust, it has no play up and down but does side-to-side and the dual tips are a tight fit so I'm wondering if the banging I hear is the exhaust hitting the bumper? Going to check that in a little bit here. I've triple checked everything else and went through most of the trouble shooting steps from BC and have found nothing else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try removing the under body tunnel braces and go for another ride. When I installed the Corsa cat-back on mine after getting everything tight the exhaust would strike those and rattle. I ended up installing washers under the braces to space them farther from the body, which helped. Unfortunately when I put my long-tube headers on, after adjusting the the new mid-pipes to get around the T-case the whole front of the exhaust was lower then before, due to the lower collectors, and the problem returned again.

I found aftermarket tunnel braces online, (there are actually a variety for these!) that bolted in the same position and hang lower. Gave me all the clearance I needed, and they do not hang low to the point they scrap, even with the car sitting lower. Never had a problem since, with exhaust or else-wise.

Could be a spot to look, hard to say if the tips are causing it. Once the factory chrome bits are removed, they take a large plastic support piece with them, leaving only the edges of the rear diffuser. You'd be able to tell metal on metal vs metal on plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I found the issue. Maybe.

After checking the exhaust and brakes, I decided to lay in the trunk and have my wife drive me around. I had removed all of the interior panels to get to the top of the shocks & install the extenders, so it was pretty loud. The noise was definitely from the shocks, the right one being way louder than the left. If you put your hand on the metal near the shock, you could feel it when it hit & rattled.

When I installed the shocks, I turned them all to full hard, then backed them up 8 clicks (so 22 from soft). After my ride, I turned them 10 more clicks toward soft and the noise is greatly reduced. Not quite gone, but much better. Tomorrow, I'm going to play around with the settings more and see if I can get the noise to go away.

I feel like the shock may still be bad as I wasn't running it full hard or even that close. I emailed a video of the noise to BC, I'm hoping they can offer some advice. I did find another post where someone said they were getting a rear clunking & it was a known BC issue, though that was the only one I could find.

Also, I've read some posts about making sure to tighten everything with the suspension in a normal position, and I didn't do that - I had the car on a lift and on jack stands. I'm thinking that I might want to loosen everything (one corner at a time) and re-tighten with the car sitting on the ground.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the video of the clunking to BC, they are going to warranty the shocks. Good to have a company stand behind their products.

Question: If I'm only replacing the shocks, does the control arm need to be undone to get enough room to get the shock out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Question: If I'm only replacing the shocks, does the control arm need to be undone to get enough room to get the shock out?
Unknown for sure, but other rear shocks I've changed could be done without disconnecting much. I'd imagine it would expand to mach travel once on a lift, and you'd be able to undo the top bolts to see how loose the shock is. Then if you can compress it at all, then that should be enough to get the bottom bolt out and slip it out of the wheel well.

Good to hear BC is going to make it right, and here's to this being your fix for the noise. Odd for shocks to fail in such a way they clunk or so as you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts