Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the quietness of stock exhaust has started to irk me, and I have found two answers that solve this problem. The question is, which one.

I have been fortunate enough to get a 2014 R/T AWD almost a month ago, and it has been an absolute dream...other then the exhaust. As a DD, the silence from the stock exhaust retains a certain practicality that is useful, but at times I would really like a considerable "uproar".

The SLP Loudmouth 1 system is obviously a Cat back that has bullet mufflers. It sounds great at idle, great while romped, and has a a great support group. Lots of satisfied customers that speak happily of them. I have only met one person speaking of fitment and rust issues. A catback also doesn't leak like cutouts after a while, so it would be less maintenance. CO poisoning would be out of the question.

http://marylandspeed.com/slp-loudmo...011-dodge-charger-57l-hemi-d31040-p-3453.html

But...

It could be too loud under low throttle to be driven at the quieter hours without disturbing the rest of the population, and compared to the cutouts, it's more than twice the price.

Badlanz Cutouts.

Cutouts. Loud when you want it. Definitely an uproar.

The cutouts cost less and can be closed for stock silence. The best of both worlds.

http://www.badlanzhpe.com/collections/kits

But..

As a DD, I know with enough wear and tear, the motors burn out, the valves start to rattle, and the CO leaking is a possibility.So the lifetime on these is considerably lower then the LM1.

If they were installed behind the cats, would I lose enough back pressure to lose any low end torque? As a DD, that's kind of important.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You've clearly done all your research, which is great!

Everything you said is correct; you have brought up both the pros and cons for each set up.

Here is my issue with cutouts...they almost always leak. Also, if you get the remote ones that open with the push of a button they can malfunction. They require much more maintenance than an exhaust which in the end may cost more.

The exhaust is high quality (I've had it for a couple years now). It's also the best sounding/quality exhaust for the price IMO.

The loudmouth 1 is very loud...but if you're concerned about neighbors, don't be. If you're light on the throttle the exhaust is barely noticeable when cruising. If you want something a little more tame at idle look into the loudmouth 2. Also, if it's too loud down the road you can add some resonators/glass packs to the back end to quiet it down.

My vote is for the loudmouth. But I'm biased. I personally have only read about problems with cutouts. I'm not too sure about the back pressure situation but I doubt it would be an issue.

Good luck man, let us know what you decide to do!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Me personally I have Magnaflows on my car with 3" tailpipes out the back and the stock resonators deleted. I love the deep throaty tone of Magnaflows. They're louder, without being obnoxiously loud and they don't have very much drone at all.

That being said I'm going to be having a Badlanz electric cutout installed for when I want the car to be ridiculously loud. It's like the best of both worlds as you said. I can still have a nice low, throaty tone for cruising with my Magnaflows, and then when I want the car to be loud and boisterous I can open up the cutout.

Can't beat Badlanz price either! Plus his product carries a five year warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I had the lm1 on for a short time. Does sound really bad ass but the drone killed me.
I have been through four catbacks
Stock - nice actually but can always be a bit meaner
Magnaflow - nice deep rumble not obnoxious at all
Slp lm1 - wicked mean but the drone on the highway was brutal
Corsa sport - winner. Nice rumble and mellow until you get on it. Worth every penny. Sounds awesome.

I was tempted with the cutouts but I too have heard the electric ones have issues with the servo motors dieing.

Btw the slp lm1 bullets are just empty expansion chambers

Reactions: shibby927

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
SLP sounds great at idle and WOT....anything in between sounds like ass if you are running headers and no cats.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have LM1 with headers, wish i didnt get the cats. I just lost a exhaust competition because a stupid dragster came last min

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Is there any performance benefits when racing with cutouts?

Short answer...no.

Cutouts increase sound but they do little to improve performance. Exhaust performance is about optimal scavenging efficiency and nothing more.

Loud doesn't equal faster.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I would qualify that with what your engine mods are and what your exhaust is.
Changing the back pressure and restriction could help a bit. But minimal.
If you're running long tubes with cutouts than maybe - be interesting to see someone with dyno numbers.

Great question.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would qualify that with what your engine mods are and what your exhaust is.
Changing the back pressure and restriction could help a bit. But minimal.
If you're running long tubes with cutouts than maybe - be interesting to see someone with dyno numbers.

Great question.

Aw ok, i have LT and im changing my cats to none, that should be loud enough

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LM1 it is!!

Well, I just bolted up an LM1 system on my car today. (and an AEM CAI)

Safe to say, it sure as hell doesn't sound stock!

Got a few pics during the install.

(NOTES: the very last rubber hangers were a *****. We cut em off. For undoing the rest, use a prybar.)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts