Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2014 Dodge Charger SXT plus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is new. My back up factory camera started flickering on my Uconnect camera and only works when it feels like it. Not normal symptoms for bad wiring but figured I would reach out before I bite the bullet on getting a replacement lense.
Symptoms;
Sometimes the camera works fine.

Sometimes (now most times) when I put it in reverse, i get black screen with flickering. After a few minutes leaving it in reverse, the image reappears clear.

Sometimes, when I put it in reverse, the image is very red. Still works but the color is red as if the color spectrum is off. This is what led me to believe it is the lens itself and not a bad connection.

So before I commit to buying an expensive replacement camera lens, has anyone had this happen and can offer some help?

So far I have tried disconnecting the wiring and using contact cleaner to clean but no change.
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2013 R/T
2,839 Posts
This is going to seem funky but I have the same issue on my 2013, about every 3 or 4 months.
The first time it happened I googled it up finding a couple hits where they pulled the trunk lid cover and basically fondled the wiring, pushing on the connectors making sure all was at least visually well.
Then they buttoned up and the cam worked well. I have done this at least 4 times.
I installed the cam, my car was pre-wired.

Some of the unlucky ones found the wiring chaffed where it pivots or say flexes at the hinge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rhill1124

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I did that as well. I actually removed the camera from the centre tail light and gave it a few light smacks on the base with a wrench, cleaned it off and tested it by plugging ot in without reinstalling. It worked perfectly so reinstalled it. Took a few attempts because when I reinstalled it it happened again. It seems to be working fine for now. So I am guessing it is internal in the camera lens. I will try purchasing a new one if it returns. Well I will get one anyway on spec, But I did see a post where this has happened before. Something inside the lens is either loose or maybe a bit of moisture got in there and caused some minor corrosion. I will post an update if it happens again.

· Registered
14 Posts
So this is new. My back up factory camera started flickering on my Uconnect camera and only works when it feels like it. Not normal symptoms for bad wiring but figured I would reach out before I bite the bullet on getting a replacement lense.
Symptoms;
Sometimes the camera works fine.

Sometimes (now most times) when I put it in reverse, i get black screen with flickering. After a few minutes leaving it in reverse, the image reappears clear.

Sometimes, when I put it in reverse, the image is very red. Still works but the color is red as if the color spectrum is off. This is what led me to believe it is the lens itself and not a bad connection.

So before I commit to buying an expensive replacement camera lens, has anyone had this happen and can offer some help?

So far I have tried disconnecting the wiring and using contact cleaner to clean but no change.
Thanks in advance.
I had a very similar scenario with my backup camera. The only difference in your description was the sometimes red color or hue. I believe mine would go randomly in and out from color to black and white. But everything else you described was dead on.
I ended up ordering a new backup camera that may not have been specifically OEM but If it wasn't, there was no perceivable differences in the two models. I think I found it on eBay, brand new, for maybe 30$ or $50.

I was able to install it myself with no issues, and I am not experienced in repairing or replacing.
It was just a matter of removing the carpet like liner on the underside of the trunk lid and then disconnecting some harnesses, removing the old camera and putting the new one in its place. There
might have been some other small steps but it was easy. I think I found the information on how to do it from YouTube videos.
More importantly, it fixed the issue instantly and works perfectly well.
I would bet that you are experiencing the same issue with the camera that I did and that replacing it yourself with one from eBay would solve the problem and not break the bank.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a very similar scenario with my backup camera. The only difference in your description was the sometimes red color or hue. I believe mine would go randomly in and out from color to black and white. But everything else you described was dead on.
I ended up ordering a new backup camera that may not have been specifically OEM but If it wasn't, there was no perceivable differences in the two models. I think I found it on eBay, brand new, for maybe 30$ or $50.

I was able to install it myself with no issues, and I am not experienced in repairing or replacing.
It was just a matter of removing the carpet like liner on the underside of the trunk lid and then disconnecting some harnesses, removing the old camera and putting the new one in its place. There
might have been some other small steps but it was easy. I think I found the information on how to do it from YouTube videos.
More importantly, it fixed the issue instantly and works perfectly well.
I would bet that you are experiencing the same issue with the camera that I did and that replacing it yourself with one from eBay would solve the problem and not break the bank.
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking it is the same issue. I did pull it out and inspected it, gave it a few love taps and reinstalled. It seems to be working fine for now. But a replacement camera is on the list for if it happens again.🍻

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,130 Posts
I read it was a common issue for our model years I believe bc what mine does is when I put it in reverse there’s no image it’s just a grey screen with the regular words that say “check surroundings” or whatever it normally says

1 - 6 of 6 Posts