Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guy locally put these up for sale on facebook marketplace, so I bought them & had them installed.
I like the stance the car has now.
Went from 275/40/20 to 315/35/20
Added 7/32nd spacers just for ease of mind. View attachment 291635

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Did you get wider wheels or you put them on the stock wheels?

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
Hellcat wheels are not wide enough for 315s...….

You've got a 12.4" tire on a 9" wheel...…….

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
LOL. OK, then...…….

·
Super Moderator
11,524 Posts
I'm surprised a tire shop would even mount them on wheels that narrow, normal would be 11"...
Yep. I run 315s on the rear in the summer but I bought 11" wheels for them. That is pretty much the minimum, but some people will run 315s on 10.5" wheels. I prefer running wheels and tires that make sense together.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yep. I run 315s on the rear in the summer but I bought 11" wheels for them. That is pretty much the minimum, but some people will run 315s on 10.5" wheels. I prefer running wheels and tires that make sense together.
10.5" is the min recommend width for a 315/35/20. I've run them on 11's and now my 10.5's. there's not enough difference to even say there's a difference.

Keep in mind OP that 315's are not all created equally, some are wider than others.

Running any 315 on a 9" rim, though, is a waste of rubber (that narrow rim pinches the tire making the contact patch no wider than a 275 on the same rim) and makes handling squirrelly at best.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I know of two people running 315s on 9 inch wheels. Those Nitto's, forget the model, are no where close to the width of other 315s. I'd say they're closer to 295s.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know of two people running 315s on 9 inch wheels. Those Nitto's, forget the model, are no where close to the width of other 315s. I'd say they're closer to 295s.
So, by that reasoning, if you knew 2 guys that hit themselves in the nuts with hammers, would you recommend that every other man do it too?

My point is, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
So, by that reasoning, if you knew 2 guys that hit themselves in the nuts with hammers, would you recommend that every other man do it too?

My point is, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

No, not necessarily. But people have been doing it for decades. There are countless threads across numerous forums going back to the early 00's online (check the LS forums) of people mounting something a little too fat for a specified wheel.

Not to mention, mount a Nitto 315/35 next to an Atturo 315/35 and the Nitto is more than an inch narrower.

Guys bicker about tire and wheel sizes almost as much as splitter guards.

Anyway, I don't even know how I got on this topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
10.5" is the min recommend width for a 315/35/20. I've run them on 11's and now my 10.5's. there's not enough difference to even say there's a difference.

Keep in mind OP that 315's are not all created equally, some are wider than others.

Running any 315 on a 9" rim, though, is a waste of rubber (that narrow rim pinches the tire making the contact patch no wider than a 275 on the same rim) and makes handling squirrelly at best.

You are 100% correct. 315 are not supposed to go on 9.5" wheels. The middle of the tread actual bubbles out, thus losing all of the wide effects of the 315, thus bringing the tire to a 275 and the person is riding on a bubble.

The person is messing with disaster. To include I would never run spacers on my car.

The proper wheel/tire combination will give us the maximum traction and control.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm not sure where the boundary is to cause a tire bead to give way during a high lateral force turn, or a good knock on a curb but I would think mounting a 315 on a 9" wide rim is pushing it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not sure where the boundary is to cause a tire bead to give way during a high lateral force turn, or a good knock on a curb but I would think mounting a 315 on a 9" wide rim is pushing it.
As far as popping the bead goes, too wide is actually more safe than "stanced" wheels/tire. Those guys that have 225/30 mounted on 9"-10" put the bead at an almost "popped" position as it is.

It's the rolling of the sidewall that makes too wide of a tire dangerous. In a corner, the weight causes the sidewalls to roll and weight to transfer quickly and unpredictably, then centrifugal force takes over.

On a properly mounted tire, that force will level out, but when the tire is too wide, it keeps flexing the sidewalls, and it literally bounces laterally. Not a good situation to be in with a 4k lbs car trying to hold itself in a corner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts