Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you suffering through 100+ degree heat this summer...what's you mileage like?
Mine sucks and I'm trying to determine if its because of constant A/C or if I've got a real problem somewhere.
I'd prefer R/T and Daytona data, but ST, SXT, and SRT data is welcome if you've got a cold-weather reference point for comparison.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just bought an SRT-8 in Dallas and drove it back to Phoenix. I averaged over 20 mpg on the drive home, and I was going 75+ the whole way. Since I got back I've been getting right at 15 mpg around town.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't use the a/c and average 14.0 rite now.....................with heads/cam/intake/exhaust/ecu for mods.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do mixed city/highway with A/C on at all times in Tucson. It varies from 17.5-19.5 depending on how much time I spend idling in parking lots.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, I'm worse than all of you at 13.7 mixed. I wonder what I'm doing different? Could my CAI and Bassani exhaust be hurting me?

·
Registered
329 Posts
damn, I'm worse than all of you at 13.7 mixed. I wonder what I'm doing different? Could my CAI and Bassani exhaust be hurting me?
If they are properly installed I doubt it. Air intakes and exhaust mods usually increase mpg. An engine is basically an air pump. The easier you make it for the air to get in and out, the less fuel you use.

MPG is very subjective. How much time do you spend idling, and how often do you mash the pedal? Like I said, I got almost 23 mpg on my drive back from Dallas. I'm getting 15 mpg driving back and forth to work, and I don't mash it very often. It wouldn't take much more idiling in traffic or leadfooting for me to go from 15 MPG to 13.7 mpg.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Don't forget we run ethanol blended fuel here in AZ... that will cost you about 2 mpg... I get 15-16 mostly city driving... but, when I lived in Denver I would get 18 no problem... and this was in the summer when I ran my a/c... I would get 19 in the fall...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am running 16-19mpg all freeway during rush hours. some weeks average drops when I am punching the gas.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
That's pretty good mileage for all that added sticker weight you're toting around. :nervous s
Gets better milage than you even without your seats :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they are properly installed I doubt it. Air intakes and exhaust mods usually increase mpg. An engine is basically an air pump. The easier you make it for the air to get in and out, the less fuel you use.

MPG is very subjective. How much time do you spend idling, and how often do you mash the pedal? Like I said, I got almost 23 mpg on my drive back from Dallas. I'm getting 15 mpg driving back and forth to work, and I don't mash it very often. It wouldn't take much more idiling in traffic or leadfooting for me to go from 15 MPG to 13.7 mpg.
I don't think I idle too much. You live in Chandler, you know how many lights we have and their duration, so you've got an idea what I'm enduring. There are some difficult merges when commmuting, but my commute is only 8 miles, so there's not much of it.

I also expect my mileage to be low, because I do have a lead foot. However, the reason I'm confused and have posted here is that my mileage has dropped over time, but my driving habits have not. The only thing that has changed is miles on the car (now at 19K), and the mods.

I'm starting to think that the answer probably does lie in a combo of the ethanol in the gas, the excessive AC needed in the summer, and a dirty filter on my intake.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the Mopar CAI and SLP LM2 catback. I live in Tucson and have a 15 minute commute and never turn off the A/C. I don't think I've ever gotten under 16mpg. Maybe you should clean your filter?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, here's what I've done:

Cleaned the air filter, which was filthy. Damned AZ desert dust.
Inflated my tires to 40 psi (Goodrich KDW's, 255/55 R18, max press. 50 psi).
Pulled fuse 11 for 30 minutes.

This morning, while commuting, I got over 17mpg in mixed rush hour traffic. Yay! Although I did make a conscious effort to avoid aggressive lead-footedness.

I'll probably throw in some fuel injector cleaners once my car arrives in NC. See what that does.

Now onto my next question....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't think I idle too much. You live in Chandler, you know how many lights we have and their duration, so you've got an idea what I'm enduring. There are some difficult merges when commmuting, but my commute is only 8 miles, so there's not much of it.

I also expect my mileage to be low, because I do have a lead foot. However, the reason I'm confused and have posted here is that my mileage has dropped over time, but my driving habits have not. The only thing that has changed is miles on the car (now at 19K), and the mods.

I'm starting to think that the answer probably does lie in a combo of the ethanol in the gas, the excessive AC needed in the summer, and a dirty filter on my intake.
I read something interesting the other day about the density of fuel at certain temps...it says that at 104 degrees( average PHX daytime temp during summer) 20 gals. of fuel is like 19 gals @ 60 degrees...so you automaticly loose fuel mileage just with that alone...then throw in the other variables....and there you have it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
im getting around 16 mixed freeway and city/ but mostly freeway

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bone stock R/T in Phx...
Mixed driving conditions. Worst in town=18mpg (when we were running around 115 degrees). Avg in town=20mpg. Avg hwy=25mpg. Tire pressure seems to make the biggest difference for me. I am not bashful with the right pedal. (need to practice my drifts on Scottsdale 101 entrance ramps and keep the occassional G35 or Mustang in his place)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
New Mexico?

I know this was AZ thread, but I get about the same as you all- 16-23.
I recently drove cross country- found it interesting that in upstate new york I got the 26 on the highway- and noticed that I was staying in fuel saver mode even going uphill!
My best guess is the altitude/ oxygen content are affecting us the most- here in New Mexico if the wind is blowing it won't shift into fuel saver.
Just a theory:knockout:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts