Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on the AutoStick? I had a 2002 stratus Sedan R/T and it was Awesome but wasnt as responsive as I'd like. Took a second or two to downshift sometimes. Either way I will take it. Its a nice Option.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I too have a 2002 Stratus R/T Coupe with Autostick. Has worked well for me the very few times I've used it. Manual states "should only be used for steep grades and inclines where downshifting is necessary".

Wonder if the Charger "autostick" (not sure if that's what they're still calling it) has that same "instruction" in the manual??

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
lg68jcu said:
Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on the AutoStick? I had a 2002 stratus Sedan R/T and it was Awesome but wasnt as responsive as I'd like. Took a second or two to downshift sometimes. Either way I will take it. Its a nice Option.

Thanks,

Matt
I had a 2002 300M with the same autostick as you. Believe me, the Charger is not the same autostick. The old 4speed was more like suggesting to the car to shift. The Charger 5 speed is more like telling the car to shift.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
a14umbra said:
the Charger is not the same autostick... The Charger 5 speed is more like telling the car to shift.
Glad to hear it! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me Too & thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I like the autoshift but it's still not like shifting an automatic with a maunal valve body. There is a delay in shift that you need to get used to. I have found that I can get a cherp when shifting from 1 to 2 with about 1/2 throttle asking it to shift at 3200 actually shifting at about 3400. In the D position I think the trans shifts too early. Driving around town I use the autostick all the time. With light throttle pressure I let it rev up to 2800-3000 to shift from 1-2 and above 2500 on 2-3. I have found I actually get better MPG making it shift a bit late while using conservative throttle pressure

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
In my couple of test drives, I didn't figure out how to take it out of manual mode back into automatic mode, other than flicking it into N and back to D real quick?
The owners manual wasn't in the test drive cars to look it up.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
To go from D to 5th push the shifter to the right. To down shift from there pull the shifter to the left to go down 1 gear at a time with each pull. If you pull the shifter to the left from D the trans will downshift to the lowest gear within the engine RPM max for a given speed. Driving at 50 MPH could net you a D to 3rd downshift with a pull to the left. There are a few ways to go back to full automatic. I have found the following ways; (1) While under way you can upshift untill you get to D (2) Hold the lever to the right untill the D appears (3) Go from D to N and back to D.

NOTE; The system will not let you downshift to a gear lower than the rev limited will allow. The system will upshift without driver input at the engine rev limit

I hope this helps..

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2001 Stratus R/T Coupe had the autoshift, which had a delay. I'm glad this one won't.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have one beef about the autostick. I was on the highway the other day and tromped it to merge into traffic. All the car did was bog down, no downshift at all. I assumed I was in auto but I guess I inadvertantly bumped the shifter and threw it into 4th manu-matic.

I was counting on the car to jump so that I could merge quickly, needless to say that didn't happen. Fortunately I had plenty of room in front of me so it wasn't an issue but I can see this causing a few accidents with overly aggressive drivers. (ie. waiting till the last minute to change lanes before your lane ends ??)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I use the autostick to downshift on the highway when I am catching up on slow traffic. The Charger does not slow down very well (which is good for gas mileage) when you let off the gas at 80mph, so the so downshifting into 4th helps out. Otherwise, I usually do not use it unless I am just screwing around. shifting the car into 4th, does not make it stay in 4th. It will still downshift on its own and if you came to a stop it would start off in 1st. It would just not go past 4th. It is more of a range control than a true gear select. It must have just not wanted to downshift that time. I have no explanation for that - noggy

·
Registered
544 Posts
PikeBoy98 said:
shifting the car into 4th, does not make it stay in 4th. It will still downshift on its own and if you came to a stop it would start off in 1st.

You are correct about it downshifting as you slow down. But, if you want to accelerate quickly on the highway and hit WOT while in manumatic mode it stays in the gear it's in, no downshift. Correct me if I'm wrong because I can get that fixed :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
PikeBoy98 said:
I use the autostick to downshift on the highway when I am catching up on slow traffic. The Charger does not slow down very well (which is good for gas mileage) when you let off the gas at 80mph, so the so downshifting into 4th helps out. Otherwise, I usually do not use it unless I am just screwing around. shifting the car into 4th, does not make it stay in 4th. It will still downshift on its own and if you came to a stop it would start off in 1st. It would just not go past 4th. It is more of a range control than a true gear select. It must have just not wanted to downshift that time. I have no explanation for that - noggy
My Magnum would down shift on it's own, no matter the gear selected with the autostick. My charger will not downshift unless it goes below set mph in each gear. The mph is set to keep the engine from going under something like 1000 rpm in any gear. All chargers are like this and I think the 300C and Magnums built after certain date are the same way.
________
WEED BUBBLERS

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to be honest. I have yet to use the Manumatic in my SXT. There just hasn't been the need. The car shifts beautifully and has responded just about perfectly when my right foot got demanding. I had a 1998 Intrepid (wife's car) and Stratus (my car) and found myself using it frequently then because downshifts just were not as crisp.

I will agree with PikeBoy that my SXT does not like to slow down once the foot leaves the gas pedal so I may start using it leaving I-95 for deceleration. I'll will crack the 13,000 mile mark before the end of the week (picked her up May 28) and have to say the performance so far has been flawless. :grin:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just some things Ive lerned about about autostick from my experiences:

- In 3rd and 2nd gear, Downshifts are NOT smooth unless you are shifting at 1000 RPM or lower. If you cant get it right, let the car downshift when stopping/slowing

- 3rd Gear is the highest 'slow down' gear. 4th and 5th wont really slow you down.

- when racing it is best to stay in 1st for a short amount of time.. just enough to get the car moving, then shift early to 2nd - and stomp it.

- Another way to get out out of autostick mode is to up-shift to any gear, and hold the stick to the right. This will set you back to (D)rive

- If you're in (D)rive, and you need a quick boost, you may try to downshift. When you downshift from Drive, you do no downshift at all, you set the transmission to autostick in the same gear you were in. If you need the burts, downshift in advance to get to the autostick, then downshift again while stomping the bad boy. Depending on what ger you end up in and how fast you're going, the boost may be minimal - but it will stil lbe enough.

Edit: Typos

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
To add to DUTCHMASTER's findings.. Autostick will start off in 2nd with a click to the right at a stop from 1st. If I'm going full out I "click" from 1st to 2nd at 4800 with an actual shift at about 5000-5100. If you wait to late the computer will auto shift at 5200 with a major torque lag. To avoid the off the line WOT power loss I punch it to about 50% throttle then gradually, but quickly, push it to 90 - 95%, then shift. I have found that on the floor there is less power than just less than WOT.

Some of my further experiences are noted in the 6th and 9th entry in this thread.

On a regular basis, I would not recomment using the trans for as brake. Braking puts reverse stress on the planetary gears and the overrun sprags. A downshift to braking also causes the clutch packs slam inside the drums resulting in a crushing or peaning of the clutch disc splines with repeated use. Trans braking sounds and feels cool but it could cause premature failure to the trans if used too much...
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
From my experience LEAVE IT IN DRIVE for the best acceleration in a straight line. I have not tested at the track but I got the idea from a Magazine test drive article. When I preload the trans to 1500rpm and floor the gas when I release the brake, there is no hesitation/bog. I have tried rolling into the throttle, preloading to 2100, and several different throttle %s off the line, sometimes they work sometimes they don?t. The trans seem to shift quicker in drive as well.
The advantages of the auto stick are:
-You can select a gear before you hit the gas. It doesn?t matter in drag racing unless you are going from a rolling start.
-You can use it for deceleration.
Those would be useful in road racing, and it?s a lot of fun around town.
-You can hold 1st gear and work the gas during a burnout, without the trans shifting into second. My Magnum did not have the updated AutoStick. It would shift in to second gear if I tried to hold it at 4500 rpm while smoking the tires.

This is one of the reasons I sold my Magnum and got the Charger.
________
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts