Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still not used to the Autostick it seems backwards to me. Most cars the gears go
P R N D 3 2 1
so the further to the right you go, the lower the gear. When I am driving, it seems like you should move the stick to the right to downshift, but it is the opposite.
Anybody else feel this way?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Give me another 100 lb-ft of torque from 1000 to 3000 rpm and it wouldn't matter!

Just leave it in drive

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I am still not used to the Autostick it seems backwards to me. Most cars the gears go
P R N D 3 2 1
so the further to the right you go, the lower the gear. When I am driving, it seems like you should move the stick to the right to downshift, but it is the opposite.
From an automatic point of view (listing gears as you go from P to lowest), you could make that point, except that one could just as easily say that since the gate moves the shifter to the right as one approaches P, the point could be made that up/right is for a "higher" gear (although there is nothing really saying that P or R is higher than 3 or 2, so I still fail to see the relation).

However, from a manual transmission point of view, it's spot-on. The lower gears are to the left, the higher ones to the right. When I'm pulling a hard corner in my WS6 and looking for an explosive exit, I'm going to be yanking on that shifter in a general left-wards direction (usually down and left, to make for a 2nd gear rocket launch) so similarly a leftward downshift on my Autostick feels natural.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Feels right to me also, in fact it feels natural/comfortable. I like it. I also like the fact that all I have to do is tap the shifter when I get on it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Feels right to me also, in fact it feels natural/comfortable. I like it. I also like the fact that all I have to do is tap the shifter when I get on it.
yeh, haha...x2

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
P R N D 3 2 1
Nope - left = down the box, right = up the box.... :)

I did grow up with manual boxes tho..... :grin:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I like it.

The other day I was messing with my buddy and tapped the gas the same time as I down shifted and the car, and it allowed me to get a short rev in smoothly as it downshifted. Sounded cool with the cutouts open!

The timing has to be right but I had him fooled it was totally manual if you wanted it to be.

Now I just have to perfect the technique - it makes motorheads wonder if it is a stuff box aferall. (Yes, its useless but sounds great)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts