Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
I haven't seen any comments about getting the auto headlight switch from the Dodge dealer. They are available at Dodge. The Magnums have the auto headlight feature. Same parts number as Chrysler. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Hey i just did the mod to get auto headligts. Took me 2 min!! Just pull off the headlitght knob cut out the lower plastic tab on the right side of the switch so knob will be able to click one turn to the left and bingo auto headlamps!! Was easy and free!! I used a small screw driver and a pair of side cutter.
*Must Have The Round Light Sensor on Dash for this to work*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Are they shipping now with the auto headlights, or do we still have to do the mod?

I know they changed the auto-power windows, I'm hoping they changed the headlights too. Why ship it with the feature _almost_ enabled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,299 Posts
I pulled my switch off, and put it back into position, just didnt seat it the whole way. It still went to the AUTO position. It looks fine, and I don't have a chance right now to cut or dremel it. I put my hand over the EYE on the dash, but it didn't they didn't come on......might not be dark enough...and that might now be where they eye is. Any ideas before i cut/alter the internals?

DJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
PaCharger said:
I pulled my switch off, and put it back into position, just didnt seat it the whole way. It still went to the AUTO position. It looks fine, and I don't have a chance right now to cut or dremel it. I put my hand over the EYE on the dash, but it didn't they didn't come on......might not be dark enough...and that might now be where they eye is. Any ideas before i cut/alter the internals?

DJ
Step away from the car and put down the knife.


Do you have the auto climate control?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,299 Posts
yes...the car is LOADED.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
PaCharger said:
I pulled my switch off, and put it back into position, just didnt seat it the whole way. It still went to the AUTO position. It looks fine, and I don't have a chance right now to cut or dremel it. I put my hand over the EYE on the dash, but it didn't they didn't come on......might not be dark enough...and that might now be where they eye is. Any ideas before i cut/alter the internals?

DJ

The ignition switch has to be in the on position for your auto lights to come on. And you have to take out the tab under the knob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
OK, when the lights come on when it is dark enough will the parking and dash light also come on? Or will I have to turn the knob back to the orginal "on" possition for the paring and dask light to work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,783 Posts
ANTMAG06 said:
The ignition switch has to be in the on position for your auto lights to come on. And you have to take out the tab under the knob.
I found the car has to be running for the auto lights to work. That is why the dealer couldn't get the auto lights switch (asked them to do the mod before I picked it up) to work. They put the orriginal back in and I did the mod myself, didn't work. STARTED the car and they came on....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
How hard do I have to pull the knob. I was pulling fairly hard and felt like I was going to break something. If I know it is suppose to be really hard I won't give up so easy.

thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
DaveyBoy said:
How hard do I have to pull the knob. I was pulling fairly hard and felt like I was going to break something. If I know it is suppose to be really hard I won't give up so easy.

thx
You may need to pry the button up a little with a small flathead screw driver on the opposite side of the white mark tab. There is a little indent on the bottom. Just pull as hard as you can...If you brake it, it is only $30 for a new one and you can get the switch that has the "A" on it for the real auto lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,299 Posts
hold the housing behind the knob. I had to pull down a bit, that seemed to break it lose. I could see th 12 oclock part of the knob, pulling down to 6 oclock, then i tried side to side. So it's not just pulling, but a tad bit o' yanking too....:whistle: good luck.

DJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
:happy:Thanks guys, went out took 2 minutes. Trick was using a small screwdriver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
check out this thread for more info.... you can add for free or for about 30 bucks.... take your pick.... :D

Simple Upgrade to Automatic Headlights
The original link to the LX Forum thread in this thread is dead. I can infer what to do based upon the comments and pics offered up by those around here, but I'd still prefer to have all the details.

Power windows? Whats up with that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
R/TommyB said:
The original link to the LX Forum thread in this thread is dead. I can infer what to do based upon the comments and pics offered up by those around here, but I'd still prefer to have all the details.

Power windows? Whats up with that?
Tommy:
I could'nt get the knob off easily so I went with a new switch - about 30 bucks. I took some VERY thin but stiff metal from a feeler guage and slid them in the slot above and below the switch plate. If you order the new one you can see where the clips are. A little pressure and out it popped. There is a clip on the back of the light switch plate you unlock and remove and then pop it back in. Auto lights done.
I also disconnected the battery becuase I think I read somewhere about deploying the airbags accidentally in the event of a voltage spike. Didn't sound good!
Send me a PM if you need more info

Love the AVATAR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
actually, there is another thread about autoheadlights running simultaneously to this one in this forum. In that thread, the link to LX forums is posted, and it does work. Nice Desc. It also contains a link within that link on how to reset the system after disconnecting the battery cable.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top