Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spark plugs and fuel injector service. dodge wants me to pay 600 for the 30,000 mile service. and im hearing i dont need to do that until 100,000 miles. please help me out so i can save money thx

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
spark plugs and fuel injector service. dodge wants me to pay 600 for the 30,000 mile service. and im hearing i dont need to do that until 100,000 miles. please help me out so i can save money thx

Whoa, that's nuts. I'm going to do that service, but that will come in some time. 600 is a lot for "preventative maintenence"

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Just had plugs, airfilter, trans and diff service, oil, throttle body clean and 4-wheel alignment for 850 bucks. Did it at 25K miles.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I passed on the trans service figuring that there is no way a modern automatic should need servicing at 30K.

However, shortly after that my trans started mysteriously upshifting anywhere from 500 to 1,000 RPM short of redline in 1st gear!

hmmmmm

·
Registered
575 Posts
In the SRT owner's manual it calls for changing the automatic transmission fluid and filter at 60,000 miles in the maintenance B schedule. It's not even mentioned at all in the maintenance A schedule.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
In the SRT owner's manual it calls for changing the automatic transmission fluid and filter at 60,000 miles in the maintenance B schedule. It's not even mentioned at all in the maintenance A schedule.
That sounds a lot more realistic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
this is what the manual from Dodge's website says:

Fluid and Filter Changes
Automatic transmission fluid and filter should be
changed as follows:

Normal Usage — No change necessary

Severe Usage (fluid and filter) — Refer to Maintenance
Schedule “B”

Severe Usage is defined as:
• Police, taxi, limousine, commercial type operation, or
trailer towing where the vehicle is driven regularly for
more than 45 minutes of continuous operation

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looking at more of the manual they made it about as clear as mud. In the previous post you see what it says in the standard maintenance section. They you get to the back of the book and it says this:

NOTE:

• For vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine, follow
Schedule “A” or “B” from 0 to 150,000 miles (0 to 250
000 km).

• For vehicles equipped with a 3.5L or 5.7L engine,
follow Schedule “A” or “B” from 0 to 120,000 miles
(0 to 200 000 km).

There are two maintenance schedules that show the
required service for your vehicle.
First is Schedule “B.” It is for vehicles that are operated
under the conditions that are listed below and at the
beginning of the schedule.

Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter every
60,000 miles (100 000 km) if the vehicle is usually
operated under one or more of the conditions marked
with an .

• Day or night temperatures are below 32°F (0°C).
• Stop and go driving.
• Extensive engine idling.
• Driving in dusty conditions.
• Short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km).
• More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high
speeds during hot weather, above 90°F (32°C).
• Trailer towing.
• Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial ser-
vice).
• Off-road or desert operation.

NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you, then change your
engine oil every 3,000 miles (5 000 km) or 3 months,
whichever comes first, and follow the maintenance rec-
ommendations in Schedule “B” in this section.

NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you, then flush and
replace the engine coolant every 102,000 miles (170 000
km) or 60 months, whichever comes first, and follow the
maintenance recommendations in Schedule “B” in this
section.

NOTE: Most vehicles are operated under the conditions
listed for Schedule B.

Second is Schedule “A.” It is for vehicles that are not
operated under any of the conditions listed under Sched-
ule B.

Use the schedule that best describes your driving condi-
tions. Where time and mileage are listed, follow the
interval that occurs first.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change
intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or 6 months
whichever comes first.

CAUTION!
Failure to perform the required maintenance items
may result in damage to the vehicle.

So... in one part of the book they tell you that Schedule B is more for taxis and the like... Then in the back of the book they tell you that MOST cars are Schedule B.

Going to guess this is so they can avoid paying out anything on their "lifetime" drivetrain warranty. Keep your receipts!

And then a couple of pages later it shows that only cars that do trailer towing and Taxi, police, or delivery vehicles are to be done with schedule B. Holy crap they made sure no one knew which way was up

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Going to guess this is so they can avoid paying out anything on their "lifetime" drivetrain warranty. Keep your receipts!

And then a couple of pages later it shows that only cars that do trailer towing and Taxi, police, or delivery vehicles are to be done with schedule B. Holy crap they made sure no one knew which way was up
What they di9d was wrote all that garbage so that pretty much every vehicle on the road has the short servicing periods. :confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
What they di9d was wrote all that garbage so that pretty much every vehicle on the road has the short servicing periods. :confused:
I am about ready to go over to Dodge and make them give me something in writing as to which schedule they want me to follow in order to not void the warranty.

I am only getting anal about it because Ford totally screwed my mom with her Cougar. She had less than 30k on the engine and it exploded... Ford said since she could not prove she ever changed the oil they would not replace the motor. My brother-in-law changes the oil on her car.

Dunno about you guys... but I am not paying anyone else to do the oil on my car. I have had more trouble having other people do work on my cars than I have had doing it myself. You give it to a service guy and then you have to worry about them scratching up the car or doing the job wrong. At least if I do that crap there is no one to blame but myself.

Just make sure whatever work you do to the car you document it. I am half tempted to keep digital pictures of oil receipts next to the odometer.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I am about ready to go over to Dodge and make them give me something in writing as to which schedule they want me to follow in order to not void the warranty.

I am only getting anal about it because Ford totally screwed my mom with her Cougar. She had less than 30k on the engine and it exploded... Ford said since she could not prove she ever changed the oil they would not replace the motor. My brother-in-law changes the oil on her car.

Dunno about you guys... but I am not paying anyone else to do the oil on my car. I have had more trouble having other people do work on my cars than I have had doing it myself. You give it to a service guy and then you have to worry about them scratching up the car or doing the job wrong. At least if I do that crap there is no one to blame but myself.

Just make sure whatever work you do to the car you document it. I am half tempted to keep digital pictures of oil receipts next to the odometer.
That's funny - I am almost the complete opposite to you WRT servicing. I don't touch it and get it dealer services and the BOOK STAMPED every time. The reason is exactly the same as you stated about your Mom's car - if anything goes wrong, DCX have absolutely NO reason to even try and blame incorrect servicing - it takes a huge potential problem completely away.

As for them damaging it - yep - that's a risk, but I tend to hang around and watch. Some tech's don't like it, but I say tough - I'm paying the money, I want to view the process.

When she gets back to the UK, I'll keep the servicing the same but with UK Dodge dealerships - gotta keep that book stamped up. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's funny - I am almost the complete opposite to you WRT servicing. I don't touch it and get it dealer services and the BOOK STAMPED every time. The reason is exactly the same as you stated about your Mom's car - if anything goes wrong, DCX have absolutely NO reason to even try and blame incorrect servicing - it takes a huge potential problem completely away.

As for them damaging it - yep - that's a risk, but I tend to hang around and watch. Some tech's don't like it, but I say tough - I'm paying the money, I want to view the process.

When she gets back to the UK, I'll keep the servicing the same but with UK Dodge dealerships - gotta keep that book stamped up. :)
Don't get me wrong... my Harley goes into the dealership for service (it's there right now as a matter of fact). But that is different... At least with the car I have 3 more tires if one falls off. =)

I just cannot see paying Dodge the money they want for doing simple service. Getting the tranny done... that I may pay for. But oil changes? Yeah... no. =)

Our Grand Caravan started throwing codes around 30k miles. Drove me nuts... Dodge wanted at minimum $100 to do the diag and find out the problem. I said to hell with that and bought a scantool at Sears. Plugged it in... saw that Cylinder 3 was misfiring. Reset the CEL and swapped wires from another car with Cylinder 3.... still showing a misfire. Swapped Cylinder 3's plug with Cylinder 4's and vice versa.... Cylinder 4 is misfiring... YAY! Found the problem. Took me less than 10 minutes.

So... Paid $250 (and got a $75 rebate later) on the scantool. Paid <$30 for the platinum plugs that were already in the thing... Swapped out ALL of the plugs in less than 30 minutes. Cost me roughly $205 and a bit of my time.

I asked them how much it would have cost to have them do the work...

A little over $300. I can think of better things to do with that $100. And you know they would have found something else wrong and blah blah blah. Screw that noise.

I grew up owning broke cars... We didn't have money to get other people to fix them so we had to learn how to do it ourselves. That is how I learned how to do body work and all sorts of things.

Not like it is Rocket Surgery. =)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Well, I'm gonna be waiting for a while. I got a mostly highway miles on this sucker, so I'll do the service at about 70K

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Don't get me wrong... my Harley goes into the dealership for service (it's there right now as a matter of fact). But that is different... At least with the car I have 3 more tires if one falls off. =)

Hehehe - true!

I just cannot see paying Dodge the money they want for doing simple service. Getting the tranny done... that I may pay for. But oil changes? Yeah... no. =)

I hear you and I agree to a certain extent. Trouble with me is that if I let anything go 'to chance', more often than not, I get bitten on the backside! In the UK my new car goes to the dealer - however, when it's out of warranty, it'll go to a garage. I used to do all my own servicing, but I just don't have the time these days!

Our Grand Caravan started throwing codes around 30k miles. Drove me nuts... Dodge wanted at minimum $100 to do the diag and find out the problem. I said to hell with that and bought a scantool at Sears. Plugged it in... saw that Cylinder 3 was misfiring. Reset the CEL and swapped wires from another car with Cylinder 3.... still showing a misfire. Swapped Cylinder 3's plug with Cylinder 4's and vice versa.... Cylinder 4 is misfiring... YAY! Found the problem. Took me less than 10 minutes.

Yep - sometimes they are as easy as that! In fact - I like those kind of failures! :)

So... Paid $250 (and got a $75 rebate later) on the scantool. Paid <$30 for the platinum plugs that were already in the thing... Swapped out ALL of the plugs in less than 30 minutes. Cost me roughly $205 and a bit of my time.

I asked them how much it would have cost to have them do the work...

Oh - they'd have stung you on the butt mate! I actually don't trust the service writers as far as I can throw HemiChemi! They try to talk to me the way they talk to others, however, they have no clue that I know most of what they are saying is BS. I have stood in a waiting room and heard them talking to other customers on the phone - sometimes what they tell them is not only technically wrong, but sometimes is akin to daylight robbery! They are NOT there for the customer - they are (generally) there for the bottom line....

A little over $300. I can think of better things to do with that $100. And you know they would have found something else wrong and blah blah blah. Screw that noise.

I grew up owning broke cars... We didn't have money to get other people to fix them so we had to learn how to do it ourselves. That is how I learned how to do body work and all sorts of things.

Me too - only since getting my degree and moving onto my next career have I found that I like the time to myself now (or with SWMBO) so am quite happy to pay somebody else to service/repair my cars. I used to spend 1-2 weekends a month just tinkering - for no real reason - used to drive SWMBO up the wall.

Not like it is Rocket Surgery. =)

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
My first trans service was at 12 miles. It literally went into limp mode as I drove off the dealer's lot to take the car home the day I bought it. :)

I plan on having the fluid and filter changed at 25k miles. I'll probably let the stealer do it since it's such a mess.

Best,

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Severe Usage is defined as:
• Police, taxi, limousine, commercial type operation, or
trailer towing where the vehicle is driven regularly for
more than 45 minutes of continuous operation
They forgot:

• Enthusiast driving including burnouts, winding out to redline using manual shift mode and compression braking using same.

Given the cost of a replacement transmission, I have absolutely no qualms about preventative maintenance/changing the fluid every 25-30k miles.

Best,

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Guys, look at the way most of us drive our cars .... my last auto-equipped car I changed the trans fluid every 20k approximately and at 90k the trans blew up to the point where every gear was Neutral ... the way we drive these things ("drive it like you stole it dude") can easily be considered "severe duty", so I plan on 3k oil changes, 6k tire rotations, 20-30k trans fluid flushes and 30k spark plug changes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Guys, look at the way most of us drive our cars .... my last auto-equipped car I changed the trans fluid every 20k approximately and at 90k the trans blew up to the point where every gear was Neutral ... the way we drive these things ("drive it like you stole it dude") can easily be considered "severe duty", so I plan on 3k oil changes, 6k tire rotations, 20-30k trans fluid flushes and 30k spark plug changes.
Yeah... so when tires started costing more than $100 I stopped doing burnouts. :D

I drive fast... but not hard (usually). I actually kinda have to laugh at some of the posts on here about people wanting to go faster and more power and blah blah blah.... You just bought a 4000 lbs. car... if speed was your main objective and you have $40-50k burning a hole in your pocket you should have gotten a Vette or waited for the Challenger.

Don't get me wrong... I dig have a "family" car that has a hemi... and a hemi that does not appear to be neutered like a lot of cars these days are. I just don't get the mentality of buying a Charger to be a dragstrip car. But... to each their own.

I would think as a Daily Driver that does not get beat on... it is probably safe to follow schedule A... but who knows.

Heck... my F-150 IS beat on and I have not done a trans service in 80k miles (will blow up now that I have said that).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts