Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did not buy my '08 RT for the gas mileage, but was wondering for those of you with the full electronics, at what cruising speed on level ground does the MDS switch out of fuel saver mode? Can't tell when it starts using all eight to overcome the wind drag. I took the Charger about 480 miles this weekend, at a cruising speed of 75-80, and got about 24.5 mpg, which I am happy with. Wondering how much fuel I could save cruising at say, 70-75 or 65-70 (that would be hard)!! Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The MDS kicks off and on based on engine load and throttle position. I have had mine on at 80mph + under the right conditions. Mine has a read out that reads Fuel Saver Mode when it's in MDS and with the catback exhaust I can hear it if the stereo isn't cranked up.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
My mds rarely kicks in at 80 mph and if it does, it kick back out pretty quickly. I haven't try it yet, but I doubt mds will kick in at 90.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
My MDS never kicks in :D

From what I've read on here, about 80 mph seems to be the speed where it becomes hard to keep it under 20% throttle so the MDS doesn't kick in and the engine stays at 8 cyl power ...

I still get over 21 mpg at 70-75 cruise ....

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
MDS is load critical...I've had mine come on @35mph on level ground....got my best between 65-70...thats with a good CMR tune...27.5 to 28 on level ground, which is hard to find in SW Virginia.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have had MDS working at 80mph one day on the way to work and the next day on the same road it would not come on at 75mph.

As others have stated it all depends on load, I think maybe the winds were stronger on one of the days which is the reason for the difference.

You should have no problems at 70-75mph on flat ground.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My mds rarely kicks in at 80 mph and if it does, it kick back out pretty quickly. I haven't try it yet, but I doubt mds will kick in at 90.
I would guess that down a steep hill with a tail wind it would kick in at high speeds. I don't think it is linked to the speed but just engin load and throttle position. I know that the lowest speed I have seen is coasting to a stop is just before a comlete stop.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Like stated its all about the load on the engine. I have had mine on at 80+

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
<sneaks in...>Mine runs on 6 cyl. all the time! :grin:

<sneaks out...> :sneaky:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your good observations. Sounds like if you keep it under 75 the motor should go to 4 cyl. at least downhill or with a slight tailwind. Will try that next trip. I was impressed with the Charger on the long uphill grades - the speed did not drop at all going up the hills with the cruise on, and it never shifted down to maintain speed! All the other vehicles I have had dropped at least 2 mph on the long grades, and sometimes shifted down. That extra power is sure nice!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I averaged 25.5 MPG driving from Idaho Falls to my home just south of Salt Lake City with the cruise set @ 85 MPH, this included several blasts deep into the triple digits tailing my Dad in the Camaro SS he rented for the weekend.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've had it kick in at 80+ before. I usually lock in around 65-70, and average about 22-24 mpg on the hiway. I've seen(on the DIC) as high as 23.x when doing 70-100(running late for a job int for the wife). I don't think MDS kicked in much on that drive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine stays locked in at 80 mph - when the grade gets a bit steep she may shuit off - will check later.

Back and forth from central CT to RI at 75 mph on the highways and 60 mph on Rt 1 mine pulls in (according to the computer) 25 mpg. Just have to accelerate lightly. If I hear the CAI its another story!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see it on at 80-85 pretty often althought any grading in the road will kick it out, very steady foot will keep it on on flat roads at 90ish. trick is to get to speed +5ish, let off gas completely then feather it on till you find the sweet spot where it will hold.
Im getting bout 23mpg with 80mph's pretty constant (and the occasional slap leftx2 then mash the gas (damn corolla's))

·
Registered
312 Posts
So it seems that the 2009's have a higher threshold for the MDS, but I've had mine kick in at 95 before if there wasn't a strong headwind other than what I was forcing there to be :D. I'm going to guess this is due to the new valvetrain that is in the 2009 HEMI's, but either way I can't imagine it not working at at least 70-75 because what would be the point if you had to do 55 in a 70 just to keep the MDS on?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts