Charger Forums banner

4781 - 4787 of 4787 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,781
Does it make any difference if police lights were previously installed in a car? Heard it's just a no no to use them, but they really can't say anything if the lights are installed but not in use.. ???
As far as Ohio is concerned, you're okay as long as they're not on. Just having them won't get you stopped, but turning them on will. So if they're installed from the previous owner, or if you put them on, really won't matter as long as you're not using them on/near the roadway.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,782
I have a question, although it pertains to motorcycles. I put a post up on one of the Harley forums wherein I stated that when I'm riding, I put my phone and wallet in my saddlebag. My thinking is that if I crash and go tumbling down the highway, the phone and wallet in my pockets are likely to end up who knows where. One of the guys on the forum brought up a good point, and that is that EMS and LEOs will not look in your saddlebag. They will check your person, and if you don't have a form of ID on you, that's as far as they will go. So then your phone and wallet end up in the impound yard with the bike. What is your practice in this situation?
As Ron and Jerry both said, I always zip mine in my jacket pocket. However, we do look in saddle bags, trunk (if you have one), handle bar bags, etc. for any sort of identification.
Another thing you can do is fill out an I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) card and put it somewhere conspicuous. These cards generally have your name, blood type, and emergency contact name/number. They're a great resource and are good for cars too, but I'd say an absolute must for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As far as Ohio is concerned, you're okay as long as they're not on. Just having them won't get you stopped, but turning them on will. So if they're installed from the previous owner, or if you put them on, really won't matter as long as you're not using them on/near the roadway.
thanks, that what a few people have said. ie if you drive a firefighters car, and they have lights, theres no issue unless you use them...

thanks, be safe

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Fine could be anything from illegal lights or police impersonation depending on color and how you use them.

Also, the lights are a state by state issue so really best to check your own state laws. I remember reading that some states will say merely the ability to display a blue light is a violation and I would bet almost anywhere in the south if you ride around with blue lights even turned off that it won't be long before you get stopped.

And just in time for breast cancer awareness, guess any female stopped by this car gets off with a warning!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,786
As Slidd mentioned it depends on the circumstances, and the local laws. Around here impersonating an officer could land you in jail for up to 6 months. If you have flashing lights other than those that look like a cop it's just a fine of around $150 (actual amount depends on the court).

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have some rear facing Rigid Chase Lights attached to the roll bar on the Jeep for off road chase events that are visible when the Freedom Top is removed. One day rolling down the highway with the top off I was pulled over by Texas DPS and asked about the lights (two amber and two red attached to the underside of the roll bar). I think he would have made an issue if there were any Blue lenses but after I explained the lights and their use as solid, and well as strobe capability for off road use he rested easy.

Technically the lights are not compliant to the TX vehicle code, but neither are the thousands of pickup trucks with extra stop lights attached to the top of rear window protector cages. So yes, there is a lot of variation state by state, but I also see a lot of discretion. Fortunately he looked at the non-illuminated chase lights as auxiliary rather than emergency lighting though they certainly would fall in that category if turned on strobe position driving down on a road.

4781 - 4787 of 4787 Posts