Charger Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
I guess I am the complete opposite of most people.

Usually people are rather serene, polite, and easy to get along with, until they get drinking; and then they get nasty.

I'm typically very grumpy and unapproachable, but get a few beers in me and I turn into Mr Nice Guy.

If he had pulled that crap on me and I was stone cold sober I would have told him to STFU and if he didn't I would have made a fool of him in front of his wife. :yes:

-=FLEX=-
I can hear FLEX talking in his best Arnold 'terminator 3" impression... Talk to the hand

·
Registered
338 Posts
If he had pulled that crap on me and I was stone cold sober I would have told him to STFU and if he didn't I would have made a fool of him in front of his wife. :yes:

-=FLEX=-
Last time I got really drunk I told my best friends wife that she was really hot and I'd been staring at her chest all night. Apparently we're the opposite because I'm way more honest when I'm drunk and try to be reserved when I'm sober.

So can we seriously try to get a race going with you guys? I know how it will end, but it would be neat to see the technology from then and now race on the same track stock for stock.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Last time I got really drunk I told my best friends wife that she was really hot and I'd been staring at her chest all night. Apparently we're the opposite because I'm way more honest when I'm drunk and try to be reserved when I'm sober.

So can we seriously try to get a race going with you guys? I know how it will end, but it would be neat to see the technology from then and now race on the same track stock for stock.
the FLEXINATOR highspeed race team... kinda like those highspeed internet commericials:p

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Hey, guess what Fonzy? That was 35 years ago, and I couldn’t help but notice that you’re currently driving a rusted out, dented base model 2003 PONTIAC SUNFIRE.

-=FLEX=-
See above, from my original post. Like all the typical blowhards, he doesn't have the car anymore, so no real way to disprove anything he said, except to maybe build a case using statistical data.

*sigh*

Too bad cuz it would have been fun.:D

I remember way back in 1992 I bought a 1990 Corvette Roadster. There was some jackass at work that years ago had some type of Chevy pickup with a 454 in it, and every he saw me, all he would talk about was that 454 truck, and how much faster it was than my Vette. :bored:

I never cared if it was faster or not; it's a PICKUP. :tongue:

-=FLEX=-

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
FLEX it's not that saturn with the 3 spoilers that's was floating around here:eek:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I guess I am the complete opposite of most people.

Usually people are rather serene, polite, and easy to get along with, until they get drinking; and then they get nasty.

I'm typically very grumpy and unapproachable, but get a few beers in me and I turn into Mr Nice Guy.

-=FLEX=-
Too funny

Now I know what to do if I run into you!

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
See above, from my original post. Like all the typical blowhards, he doesn't have the car anymore, so no real way to disprove anything he said, except to maybe build a case using statistical data.

*sigh*

Too bad cuz it would have been fun.:D

-=FLEX=-
I missed that from the original post. It figures he doesn't have it anymore. The older I get the better I used to be at everything. I actually look at the cars I used to drive when I was in high school and college and while I enjoyed them, I can't believe I ever thought they were fast. Next time that dude shows up at your friends house and starts talking smack, offer to teach him lots of painful wrestling holds. Last time I told someone I could properly execute the figure four he spouted back with "yeah, but that can be reversed." So I said "Sure it can. But it takes an awfully mighty man to reverse the figure four. You want me to put you in one and see if you're man enough to reverse it?" He hasn't spoken to me since. It's actually really nice.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger
1 Posts
Here is the reality of this type of argument. Everything comes down to physics. Here is the math. Your new at the time 2008 R/T weighed 4,031 lbs or 1857 kg according to the manufacturers website. The 1969 Dodge Super Bee weighed in at 3435 lbs or 1558.09 kg according to the same. To get the hp per lb you would divide the hp of the motor by the weight of the car.

The 2008 R/T according to the manufacturers specs has 340 hp but we will go with the 350 that you stated above. So 350 hp / 4031 lbs = .08 hp per 10 lbs.

The 1969 Super Bee 383 has 335 hp according to the manufacturers website. The gentleman said he had added headers which typically add about 15 hp. So well say that you and he are even with 350 hp.So the Super Bee has 350 hp / 3435 = .09 hp per 10 lbs.

The equation to calculate estimated time or (ET) in a 1/4 mile is: ET=\sqrt[3]\frac{WEIGHT}{HP}\times{5.825}

The Charger R/T given this formula would have a 1/4 mile time of about 13.98 seconds
The Super Bee given this formula would have a 1/4 mile time of about 13.21 seconds

So the Super Bee has a slightly faster 1/4 mile time than the Charger. Now note that the easiest way to gain HP is to lose weight. My Dad actually has a 1969 Super Bee that used to have the 383 stock. He has since replaced it with at 525 hp 440 stroker which does a 11 second 1/4 mile. This car is by no means stock although he kept all of the stock parts because it is numbers matching, but when it was stock it ran 13 second 1/4 miles all day long. He started out by losing weight. He took out the back seat, A/C, Heat, Radio, and anything else that was not necessary for spring to summer driving. Then he added headers, and a Holly 780 double pumper, and was running high 12s after that.

Long Post Warning

So last night Miss Foxxxy and I go to my neighbor’s house for a few drinks, and he has another couple there that we’ve never met before. The guys’ wife has a cool phone, and I’m checking it out, and make a comment about how nice it is, but she says she hates it; it’s too big. So I show her my new Motorola KRZR, and she’s gushing over it. Then she flips it open and makes a comment about the wallpaper, which is a picture of my car, done very nicely by Matt (elcobra44) Check it out here.

So she says “That’s a cool picture. What kind of car is that?” and Miss Foxxxy says “That’s our car. It’s a Dodge Charger R/T.” So the woman says “Oh, you should talk to my hubby. He loves Dodge Cars”.

Then it starts:

I said to him “Oh, you’re a Mopar guy?” and he says “Yeah, but I hate these cars of today; they’re too slow.” And I said “Well, I think mine is pretty quick; it does the quarter mile in about 14.5 seconds and zero-to-sixty in about 5.5 seconds. :D

He says “Well my 1969 Super Bee did the quarter mile in 12 seconds.”

Me: “Really, did it have the 440?”

Him: “No, 383.”

Me: “Wow, you did the ¼ mile in 12 seconds with the 383 Magnum? What was the horsepower rating on that engine?”

Him: “335 Horsepower”

Me: “Was it modified?”

Him: “Nope, stock. Well, actually I had headers on it. But that was it. Otherwise it was stock.”

Me: “Well my car has 350 Horsepower, and there’s no way it can do the ¼ mile in 12 seconds, even the super bee can’t do that.”

Him: “Yeah, well you don’t have a HEMI in that thing, and my car only weighed 3,000lbs, and I had a slapstick, and your car doesn’t have a real slapstick…”

...and blah blah yadda yadda. The silliness went on for about half an hour at least. Half what this guy said was pure B.S. Zero to sixty times in 3.5 to 4 seconds (first he said 2 seconds), burning rubber in every gear. You name it; he said it.

Then he was trying to tell me the cubic inch displacement of my 5.7L HEMI is 360. I told him it was 345. No, it’s 360. Bah. It’s my car; I know what it has. Even my neighbor said to him: “I’m pretty sure Jimmy knows what his car has under the hood. He’s very into his car and spends all his time on Charger Forums. He knows that car.” The guy wouldn’t shut up, so finally I just capitulated. “I guess maybe I do have a 360 c.i.d. Whatever”.

Where do these guys come from?

I hate big talkers. “My car this” and “My car that” blah blah yadda yadda.

Hey, guess what Fonzy? That was 35 years ago, and I couldn’t help but notice that you’re currently driving a rusted out, dented base model 2003 PONTIAC SUNFIRE.

I think it’s time to stop living in (and embellishing) the “Glory Days”.

/rant off

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
2,461 Posts
Here is the reality of this type of argument. Everything comes down to physics. Here is the math. Your new at the time 2008 R/T weighed 4,031 lbs or 1857 kg according to the manufacturers website. The 1969 Dodge Super Bee weighed in at 3435 lbs or 1558.09 kg according to the same. To get the hp per lb you would divide the hp of the motor by the weight of the car.

The 2008 R/T according to the manufacturers specs has 340 hp but we will go with the 350 that you stated above. So 350 hp / 4031 lbs = .08 hp per 10 lbs.

The 1969 Super Bee 383 has 335 hp according to the manufacturers website. The gentleman said he had added headers which typically add about 15 hp. So well say that you and he are even with 350 hp.So the Super Bee has 350 hp / 3435 = .09 hp per 10 lbs.

The equation to calculate estimated time or (ET) in a 1/4 mile is: ET=\sqrt[3]\frac{WEIGHT}{HP}\times{5.825}

The Charger R/T given this formula would have a 1/4 mile time of about 13.98 seconds
The Super Bee given this formula would have a 1/4 mile time of about 13.21 seconds

So the Super Bee has a slightly faster 1/4 mile time than the Charger. Now note that the easiest way to gain HP is to lose weight. My Dad actually has a 1969 Super Bee that used to have the 383 stock. He has since replaced it with at 525 hp 440 stroker which does a 11 second 1/4 mile. This car is by no means stock although he kept all of the stock parts because it is numbers matching, but when it was stock it ran 13 second 1/4 miles all day long. He started out by losing weight. He took out the back seat, A/C, Heat, Radio, and anything else that was not necessary for spring to summer driving. Then he added headers, and a Holly 780 double pumper, and was running high 12s after that.
Speaking of.......did you really just now join just to resurrect the 13yr old thread? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
And the Super Bee horsepower is Gross vs Net for the 2008 so throw all calculations out the window.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Bust out the ban hammer for that wascally Texan. lolz

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I love when the crypt keeper opens up old threads... BTW my 2016 V6 is faster than any stock '69 Mopar (barely) - the old three speed auto vs. the new eight spped makes a huge difference in the acceleration. I had a 68 Chrysler Newport convertible with a hand built stroker 400 block (measured out at 513 cubes with 520 HP/550 torque) and it could barely beat my 2013 SE V6 with the 5 speed auto,my 8 speed would have destroyed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
A Newport isn't exactly the best car to compare speeds with. They were always considered big and slow. Not bashing them I almost bought a same vintage New Yorker. A properly tuned big block in a non tank mopar would be faster then a V6 but the steering and suspension would be what holds them back.

Still don't know why this 13 year old thread was brought back from dead

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Speaking of.......did you really just now join just to resurrect the 13yr old thread?
I don't know what's worse.

Is it the bursting in here, wagging his finger at us like Phineas J. Whoopie,
"Here is the reality of this type of argument. Everything comes down to physics. Here is the math"?

Or is it the fact that he clearly didn't miss that the original post date was 2008?

"Your new at the time 2008 R/T"

You have to wonder, do guys like this show up at a bar where there had been an argument many years earlier, and try to continue that argument?? "Yes, but what you don't realize is that Obama is a first-term Senator and he just doesn't have the experience to be President!"

• Haha
Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
A Newport isn't exactly the best car to compare speeds with. They were always considered big and slow. Not bashing them I almost bought a same vintage New Yorker. A properly tuned big block in a non tank mopar would be faster then a V6 but the steering and suspension would be what holds them back.

Still don't know why this 13 year old thread was brought back from dead
Apparently you missed the 513 cubic inch stoker motor I built for it, the original 383 (with 300 brake horsepower) was barely adequate to get the old land yacht moving... it was fine with the big motor, just not fast. I owned most of the late 60's and early 70's Mopars when they were only slightly used (I started driving in 1970), and while many were fast in a straight line for their time, they are nothing special when compared to todays cars. My favorite was a 1970 Duster with a 340, that thing could shred a set of rear tires like a Hellcat can. It couldn't stop worth a damn (drum brakes) or handle for that matter either, but that thing sure could smoke the rear wheels !

61 - 80 of 86 Posts