Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the earth as much as the next guy, but do you ever feel Guilty for owning a HEMI and adding to the pollution problem? Im not a tree hugging hippie by no means; just something I wonder about before I floor it on I 95. and would any of you buy a HYbrid HEMI?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I love the earth as much as the next guy, but do you ever feel Guilty for owning a HEMI and adding to the pollution problem? Im not a tree hugging hippie by no means; just something I wonder about before I floor it on I 95. and would any of you buy a HYbrid HEMI?
Nope not anti-green! Guilt for owning a hemi, not at all. Polution with the hemi it is pretty clean based on the window sticker compared to other cars. Hell how could something this fun be so bad......Besides it gets as good of mileage as my 2005 Stratus R/T with twice the size and fun!!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
is there such thing as a hybrid hemi?
I dont think we are polluting the planet with our hemis..... we are actually helping to finish off non renewable natural resources but thats all.... nothing to worry about (you) let your great grand kids deal with the issue in hand :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'd buy a hybrid HEMI in a hot second!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't feel guilty, it gets the same gas mileage as my old 4 cyl on the highway. Unless your car runs on Hydrogen, all cars are anti-green if you want to see it that way.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there such thing as a hybrid hemi?
I dont think we are polluting the planet with our hemis..... we are actually helping to finish off non renewable natural resources but thats all.... nothing to worry about (you) let your great grand kids deal with the issue in hand :D
I do remember hearing about a Hybrid HEMI that was supposed to be in 2008 Durango's but I dont know what became of it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
it became dust..... if you want hybrid go for a toyota yaris or something like that
you have a hemeeeeeeeeeeeeee yeah!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Me, I follow the AlGore approach. YEah, my car is a gas hog, but I offset:) Every bulb in my 1,000 sq foot house is a CPFL, I recycle newspapers, paper grocery bags, etc. Ive refit with Energy Star appliances and windows and doors. And my furnace and A/C are new and very efficient. Kids, wife and I carpool every day:)

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yeah - I do sometimes think that I could be running a less thirsty car. But like GLHS, I do other things to try and conserve resources/cut waste. I replaced all of the bulbs in my apartment with energy saving one's. My electricity bill is rarely above 45 bucks a month. Although I don't recycle much here (no real infrastructure) we all do at home.

Guess I'm still guilty of burning a resource quicker than some, but at least when I get it to the UK - it'll hardly be out of storage! So it'll prolly balance out a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
so you will actually ship your GMG to the UK? What are you going to do with the MPH vs KMH thingy? also isnt the steering wheel over there located on the left?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
so you will actually ship your GMG to the UK? What are you going to do with the MPH vs KMH thingy? also isnt the steering wheel over there located on the left?
yep - the paperwork has been started - shipping (or being collected, anyway) on 12/13 September... I then have a carppy hire car....

We use mph in the UK - it's only Europe that has kph - so no worries there. yep - the steering wheel on UK cars is on the right (looking forward) and this will be on the left. It means that I will not really be able to overtake anybody on our country roads, because to actually see around the POS who'll be holding me up, would require that I was actually on the other side of the road - not a good idea when you can't see..... :nervous s

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
The eruption of Mt Vesuvius had a greater effect than all of man's efforts combined in effecting global temperatures. I do worry that one day I won't have gasoline for my car, but by then they will have made a new type of fuel for me to use. You know, I find it amazing that so much of the world has not taken serious consideration into Nuclear power. Yes, it does have a slight risk (3 mile, Chernobyl) but considering that the US Navy has been using this as a power source for the last 40 years, and safely at that, I can't help but have faith in it. Yes, there is some by product waste, but it is nothing compared to the byproducts from fossil fuels, or coal.
As for these "celebs" telling us how we should live, their private jet consumes more fuel in a single cross country flight than my hemi does all year, so to he$l with them. If Susan Surandon is so worried about the environment, she should take a bike to the studio.
In the 70's, National Geographic reported that the Earth was getting COLDER, and that soot should be applied to the ice sheets in order to help MELT the ice so that there would be enough fresh water for the world.
We all live in a state of fear, and the governments of the world are trying to perpetuate that. In the 40's, it was Germany (deservedely so) but the result of this fear was so tremendous that the US Government for one finally realized the potential. In the 50's, it was the spread of communism. 60's, Nuclear Holocaust. 70's, Hey lets go back to Russia. 80's, and 90's, the middle east, and now in the 20 somethings, terror and global warming. Anything to keep us focused on what they WANT us to be focused on, instead of focusing on ourselves.
ok, I'm off the soap box.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Not one bit

The hybrids are way overhyped. Most of them do not get the gas mileage they claim. Most of them are hard on the environment in other ways as well.

Most importantly, all cars today are clean. One 1965 Rambler puts out as much pollution as 100 new cars.

I feel guilty when I DON'T floor it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats why you need to drop the 426 hemi legend stroker from ppp and route 6 i have 3,000 mile on my beast and i average 22 just driving easy and 17 when i am pounding it, This thing is the baddddddest thing i have every been in. wiped out a z06 yesterday

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't feel bad one bit. Cars today in the U.S. run fairly clean while many countries don't have any environmental controls at all for air, water, or soil. We aren't the problem.

And as far as global warming goes, I've been wearing a sweatshirt here in NJ for the past 3 August nights and tomorrow's high is supposed to be a balmy 64°..... Al Gore should watch a forcast during quiet time on his jet while pondering what to do with us insignificant little people.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm damn proud to own a hemi. I am getting 40% better mileage with my Charger than I averaged with my 02 Ram with a 360. As far as global warming goes... pffffft. All those CCFL light bulbs with (gasp) Mercury in them are going to end up in landfills and we'll have a new crisis. But by the time the "experts" figure that out, there won't be any regular incandescent bulbs left and we'll all be in the dark, just the way they want us.

And besides, how much greener of a car can I get?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
A hybrid hemi??? :confused: :rolleyes: Would it be possible?
They put the eletric motors in the transmission and don't touch a single thing on the engine.

I believe GM, BMW, and DCX (at the time) were working on this. It's a great way to have you cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't feel bad one bit. Cars today in the U.S. run fairly clean while many countries don't have any environmental controls at all for air, water, or soil. We aren't the problem.

And as far as global warming goes, I've been wearing a sweatshirt here in NJ for the past 3 August nights and tomorrow's high is supposed to be a balmy 64°..... Al Gore should watch a forcast during quiet time on his jet while pondering what to do with us insignificant little people.
Al Gore's house uses 20% more electricity than the average household. Buy carbon set-a-sides. How bogus.

I have gotten 32 MPG in my 300C and 31 MPG in my C6. A/C going full blast? :rockon: :headbang: When I pulled-up to my favorite hotel and said, "Hey Al Gore.....:razz: :razz: ...!"

Shenandoah2000

1 - 20 of 60 Posts