Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those K&N adds where the claim the boost in HP seem too good to be true especially since the populer consenus is that the only CAI that adds performance wise is the overtly expensive Stage II or Stage III. But what do you guys think, is this false advertising or can we trust it?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My personal opinon is that it does add some power but pretty minimal unless you do the rest of the package meaning heders, high flow cats etc but i really enjoy the sound it gives at WOT, worth the dollar for that to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a KnN on my 02 camaro and was very happy. Just like my charger, it was part of bigger plan as far as intake and exhaust goes. If i had to do it over again, I would just add a drop in KnN filter instead of the $250 AFE stage II but only because I’m not ready to do the complete package of Heders, throttle body, chip, and high flow cats.

I seem to be leaning to a nice set of FOOSE rims and I hear they add 100HP :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
what are foose rims, sorry for my ignorance i know absolutly nothing about rims.

Oh and i know they dont add 100hp i just wanna know what they are...hahah

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
From what I've heard the turbonator is a piece of junk. Don't expect much from a K&N, you won't gain any noticeable amount of power with any intake. Like everyone else said, it will just help you if you have exhaust too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is no government agency or any regulations put on advertised dyno claims for aftermarket products...

you can take the same car, dyno it 5 different times and get 5 different gains... you can change the air pressure in your tires and get different dyno numbers...

what they do is take the lowest baseline dyno and the highest post modification dyno and find the largest spike in horse power and use that number as the biggest gain...

·
Registered
54 Posts
When they say that it gives an increase of XX hp over stock it isnt necessarily at the peak. It could be somewhere down low and then the peak numbers that most look at on the dyno at just minimal gains of hp. The stock intake is setup to run very efficiently in the upper RPM range where the powerband is. The aftermarket stuff improves better down low hp and torque outside of the prime power band.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
TBY thats because of your awesome hood..haha I will have that after winter and im taking it to vegas to hang...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the k and n drop in filter and royal purple oil, so that means i should have 25 horse power more!!!!
A few more mods and my sublime should be running even with the srt8 guys!!!!
It's all about the boxtops!

I may get the more cowbell mod, should be good for
another 10.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When they say that it gives an increase of XX hp over stock it isnt necessarily at the peak. It could be somewhere down low and then the peak numbers that most look at on the dyno at just minimal gains of hp. The stock intake is setup to run very efficiently in the upper RPM range where the powerband is. The aftermarket stuff improves better down low hp and torque outside of the prime power band.
All the vw turbo tuners are bad for that. They claim 30hp and 50-ft-lbs gain. Problem is, thats at 3000 RPM's when the turbo spools up and surges very hard. It gets a huge gain of power in the midrange but in the peak of the powerband its only 10hp. People still dont believe me when I explain that to them. Its actually a better selling point as the car has more mid range where you would have more use on the street.

·
Registered
868 Posts
After I installed my CAI, I said the heck with the supercharger!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts