Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
im sure they are very illegal, especially red. Ive got superwhites in mine and havent had any problems where I live but i dont know about red

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yep, in most states, red lights (especially flashing) are probably not legal unless you are a LEO.
They look good though...

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
isn't everything illegal in california?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well...

CA has a specific code section for "showing red lights to front" I'll dig it out tomorrow if ya like.

The penalty is not a big deal unless you try to pull someone over. :)

Pretty sure its just a fixit - run em and see what happens - heck I would.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
some hardasses would take you in for impersonation of a peace officer!

ok just kidding, VERY VERY VERY unlikely, and charges wouldn't stick unless you were trying to pull someone ever with them

but for the most part, forward facing red lights on passenger vehicles are illegal across the board except for emergency or otherwise approved vehicles...of course make sure you check local and state statutes regarding legal and illegal colors for forward facing markers :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm pretty sure that red lights in the grille of the car are illegal everywhere. You might get away with it for awhile, but I think eventually some officer will call you out on it.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Premium Member
796 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This may help

Took this straight from the California Highway Patrol Site

THE MAN!!!!!! said:
Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
Driving with just parking lights on (24800 VC). Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC).
Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Like all good things in life..... It's only illegal if and when your are caught!!!...til then enjoy:)
the problem is and kru knows this, around this area, the less contact you have with the pd is a good thing.

kru, i would take em off. they only cause more of an issue with cops looking in your direction...and our cars are too similar...if you get my drift. haha. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts