Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Because I have a 2014 R/T Max AWD, my exhaust options are limited. From what I can find, I can do shorty headers and a cat-back, but options for long tubes and mid-pipes are pretty much non-existent. I know that doing headers on our cars are a PITA, I'm wondering if it's worth it to do just the shorty headers and cat-back? Obviously, I can get something that I think sounds better but not sure if I'll notice any performance gains?

If I do shorty's, do I still need a tune? Are they going to be okay if I decide to do a cam later?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
A custom tune is not required for shorty headers but I updated my custom tune after installing shorty headers and the performance was much smoother. Shorty headers with a cam are just fine ... especially with a street cam and not a race cam. A custom tune will improve performance of even a stock engine and will take advantage of any additional bolt-on mods (e.g. headers, cat-back, etc...).

Dodge, Jeep & Chrysler Tuning | Jeep Chip | Dodge Programmer & More | Diablo | SCT

·
Registered
2012 Charger RT, Blue Streak Pearl
17 Posts
Yes and no is my answer. I think there is enough evidence out there that shorty's alone will help but only marginally. When compared to the stock log-style exhaust manifolds it definitely won't hurt.

As already posted, I think when you start combining shorty's with a tune, and/or with a better exhaust system, and/or hi-flow cats, and/or swapping with 6.4 intake manifold, and/or with better cam; these mods will add up to improve overall performance to an appreciable gain. Not an expert with AWD mods so I'm limited on what you can do with that platform.

I'm about to go down this route with my 2012 RT. I already added 3" catback exhaust (Hooker-Blackheart), and I have been collecting parts for the past two years and now I have everything to do a 6.4 intake mod, add shorty's (Flowmaster Elite Series), and JBA hi-flow cats. My thinking is I can put more air in, allow more exhaust out the back, and along with a tune it will perform better. How much is to be determined.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
American racing makes awd longtubes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don’t the factory headers that come on the newer 5.7’s resemble shorties? I know the older 5.7’s are basically blocks of iron with no tubing.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Don’t the factory headers that come on the newer 5.7’s resemble shorties? I know the older 5.7’s are basically blocks of iron with no tubing.
I'm not sure about the newer 5.7L factory exhaust manifolds. The older 5.7L exhaust manifolds are cast-iron log style manifolds.

Factory cast iron exhaust manifold

JBA (1964S-1JS) silver ceramic coated shorty headers

·
Registered
2012 Charger RT, Blue Streak Pearl
17 Posts
Our 6.4 brothers have shorty like headers while us 5.7 have logs suitable for the recycling bin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts